Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 03:49 PM

8 posts, read 9,864 times

Advertisements

I am in real need here. Family of 9 coming from michigan to a job in cupertino. I have seen the prices and fear the worse. Right now my hubby drives 1 hour to work, but that is here. I know the drive over there will be harder. I have 7 kids 9 months to 13. Obviously, cants afford the cupertino area, but don't want my hubby driving 4 hours a day. Help on distances and prices. Oh, and safe areas too. What about schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 07:09 PM

6,815 posts, read 9,020,081 times
I'm afraid it's not going to be easy for you. I hope your husband is making six figures because you'll need that kind of money to find a place. I could see you living somewhere in the East Bay where prices are cheaper. If you have the time I strongly suggest you review some of the other threads with suggestions about where to live.

What does your family size translate to in terms of bedroom/bathroom? And how much money can you afford to spend on rent or mortgage? What research have you done already before posting your question?

Good luck! My parents had six kids so I sympathize with your situation.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:40 PM

424 posts, read 550,229 times
rent, do not, I repeat, do not buy. This are is in a housing bubble. It took me a year from the time I began looking to the time we actually came and the homes went up a ridiculous amount. The stock market is leveling off for now.

you will have no problem finding a family sized home with 5 bedrooms in cupertino for lower rent than anywhere else within 40 minute's drive. There is a poster called wintermomma on this forum who wrote a bit about cupertino, see if you can read thru her posts.

Be very wary of communities that require a drive down a mountain road, it may seem like a great deal, but if anything goes wrong you will be stuck without an alternate route home or out. Though these places are incredibly beautiful.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:25 AM

392 posts, read 805,170 times
This is not housing bubble. Prices will go UP big time in future. What we have now is LOW and this is only chance to have house on this prices. I do expect that 1/1 in San Jose will cost over a 1 mill $$ in next 5 years. And all people who are not buying with this low interest rate are either ignorant or just stupid. 1/1 condo will be about $4000-5000 for rent in San Jose in just 4-5 years. (from current 2,2k)

Old 10-20-2014, 05:40 AM

8 posts, read 9,864 times
I have read so much a out so many cities my head is spinning. We live in a suburb outside of Detroit. So, reading about all the different types of transportation you guys have is so amazing to me. Right now my hubby is an engineer at Ford and is a professor at a local university. He is always at work and the drive is about just over an hour. I just want to make sure he is not in the same situation, driving too much. However, what I read, the drives seems longer and alot more stressful. I am hoping that the housing situation does not keep us from moving. Can someone tell me, really how bad are the commutes. How is the commute from San Jose to cupertino.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 AM

53 posts, read 175,842 times
Cupertino is right next to San Jose so the commute can be literally anywhere between 1 min to about 1 hour.. you would need to be more specific.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:25 PM

379 posts, read 783,930 times
Hi Lisa, it will help to know your family's housing budget to be best able to offer suggestions. Also, will your husband be working somewhere with a company shuttle to work?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:49 PM

6,815 posts, read 9,020,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisap1999 View Post
I have read so much a out so many cities my head is spinning. We live in a suburb outside of Detroit. So, reading about all the different types of transportation you guys have is so amazing to me. Right now my hubby is an engineer at Ford and is a professor at a local university. He is always at work and the drive is about just over an hour. I just want to make sure he is not in the same situation, driving too much. However, what I read, the drives seems longer and alot more stressful. I am hoping that the housing situation does not keep us from moving. Can someone tell me, really how bad are the commutes. How is the commute from San Jose to cupertino.
If you are just going up and down 101 or 280, traffic can be slow but it's not too bad. I don't know East Bay too well. Some people commute up 85 to 101 in Mountain View. That's a terrible, slow commute. Going down (south) on 85 to Cupertino from Mountain View is only 15 minutes when going the other way (north) might be 30-45 minutes because of the merge at 85 & 101. If you stay on the peninsula you could have a commute less than 1 hour. If you move to East Bay or closer to SF you could have a 90 minute commute or more.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,563 times
Lisa, places with the best schools, easiest commutes and lowest crime go for the highest prices in rent and mortgage payments. Most folks in Silicon Valley consider a 20-30 min. one-way commute to be reasonable. You could go to Morgan Hill and have decent schools and be within about a 30-45 min. commute. There are ride-share options as well as light rail. Being close to a light rail station may be your best choice.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:55 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,761,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrhunski View Post
And all people who are not buying with this low interest rate are either ignorant or just stupid.
Pop quiz: when interest rates increase, house prices ________?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose