Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:16 AM

2,552 posts, read 2,455,533 times

Advertisements

Well, this happened. If Facebook is any guide, it's the carpocalypse. Hellfire and brimstone are raining down upon Willow Glen.

Basically, the complaints take the form:

Throughput is down and this is doom. No-one will ever adapt and Willow Glen will never recover.

I've decided to ride to work this week and having a lane on Lincoln is a really nice change. I'm still doubtful that this was the easiest answer to the original problem of pedestrian safety, but I'm more sold on the idea that this is in the long term best interest of WG at large.

An aside: if businesses are concerned about customer access--which is part of the doom-and-gloom narrative of the trial-- it should be the concern of the WGBA, not SJ DOT, to solve the parking accessibility problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 12:15 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,854,779 times
I'm looking forward to taking me wifey out for anniversary this April in Willow Glen. Last year it took us half an hour to find parking, albeit we did arrive into the area at the peak of dinner time on Saturday so there's that. Will be very interesting this year during the road diet span.

DE, are the bike lanes buffered? Are they good enough width?

Old 03-04-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
DE, are the bike lanes buffered? Are they good enough width?
Normal width, just two stripes. The street traffic has been slow enough (or dead stopped) during commutes that the lack of lane protection or buffering--something I commented on to the Road Diet Working Group--isn't a buzz kill.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,386,974 times
When I lived in Santa Clara, I would go to Willow Glen to walk around and window shop and eat at the Willow Street Pizza place, maybe once a month, if that. It was difficult to find parking around the pizza place even then (about 3 years ago), but I made the trip for their Vodka prawn pasta. I wouldn't bother to go, if the traffic was worse and the parking even more difficult. There are way too many other options.

And who came up with the word "Diet"? Is that supposed to make people think it's something cute? A road that is experiencing higher and higher traffic loads, is going to go down to half it's capacity to handle the traffic, and we call that a road "diet"? So, the people won't get what it really is and think, "Well, hey, diets are good things so this must be, too?"

Tell me they don't think people are that dumb.

It would be interesting to see whose pet project this is, and if they own property in the middle of this new "diet."

Old 03-04-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Normal width, just two stripes. The street traffic has been slow enough (or dead stopped) during commutes that the lack of lane protection or buffering--something I commented on to the Road Diet Working Group--isn't a buzz kill.
Thanks! I may try riding it but I'm always a bit apprehensive when there are that many cars on the road. We'll see if it's any better.

On another note, wife just mentioned that maybe she wants to try out the new M Lounge restaurant in Downtown for anniversary instead So I guess we'll just do a dinner date soon enough in Willow Glen. Have yet to try The Table...

Old 03-04-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
When I lived in Santa Clara, I would go to Willow Glen to walk around and window shop and eat at the Willow Street Pizza place, maybe once a month, if that. It was difficult to find parking around the pizza place even then (about 3 years ago), but I made the trip for their Vodka prawn pasta. I wouldn't bother to go, if the traffic was worse and the parking even more difficult. There are way too many other options.

And who came up with the word "Diet"? Is that supposed to make people think it's something cute? A road that is experiencing higher and higher traffic loads, is going to go down to half it's capacity to handle the traffic, and we call that a road "diet"? So, the people won't get what it really is and think, "Well, hey, diets are good things so this must be, too?"

It would be interesting to see whose pet project this is, and if they own property in the middle of this new "diet."
The "diet" is just another one of those urban planning terminology mumbo jumbo. I don't think this is a pet project either, many Willow Glen residents (not necessarily businesses) have been clamoring for it quite some time. Waving that flag and walking across the street is a real biazzatch.

I say they need another parking garage, or bulldoze the current one and add 2 more floors. But then they have to hide it somehow LOL

Old 03-04-2015, 02:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,386,974 times
I wonder if there are any YouTube videos of people waving this flag you guys are talking about. Can't they just put in stop lights?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I wonder if there are any YouTube videos of people waving this flag you guys are talking about. Can't they just put in stop lights?
At every crosswalk on Lincoln in DTWG they have these: Crosswalk Flags on Lincoln - Willow Glen Charm.

The city DOT is pretty financially constrained, so they've been declining more extensive signaling and stoplight coordination. Everyone says "Can't they just..." but few consider how much "just" doing that thing costs and if there is money to pay for it.

Quote:

"Road diet" is a pretty common term for removing vehicle capacity on a roadway.

No-one's pet project, as this has been considered repeatedly for decades in Willow Glen. Councilman Oliviero was the first one to actually get anything through the City Council, though. But that many simply be because the road was due for a repave and restripe anyway, so if this trial fails it'll simply be paved away back to four lanes.

The parking situation is the domain of the Willow Glen Business Association, and should not be the concern of the city. TBH, some of the parking congestion could be dealt with if more businesses officially and openly adopted curb-side (even if it's in the parking lot in back) pickup. And a lot of the trouble is that the bulk of the parking is mid-block and has always been difficult to access.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:24 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,808,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
I don't think this is a pet project either, many Willow Glen residents (not necessarily businesses) have been clamoring for it quite some time.
Might be easy for the residents to clamor for this. Might be enough of a blow to Lincoln Avenue businesses to see doors shuttered, though. Which would make the avenue a less attractive destination to walk around.

But maybe the WG folks just want it as a place to walk fluffy little doggies, anyway. Just don't close La Villa, please.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:32 PM

115 posts, read 336,721 times
Maybe it will also be good for the businesses as more people want to stroll on a street that doesn't have 4 lanes. We'll see, that's why it's a temporary experiment for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose