Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,590 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, we are possibly going to be transferred to the Los Gatos area for a job. I am looking for info on places to live in the area that have good schools. We will have one in high school and one in middle school. We will be looking to rent for the first year. Any suggestions on good neighbohoods with good schools would be helpful. I'm also nervous about the cost of living....we will be making around 400k. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Have you read the many other related threads on for the Bay Area? The cost of living and schools are popular topics here.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:31 AM

402 posts, read 538,499 times
If you have a job in Los Gatos and your family's salary is about $400K, then there is only one answer. Lets live in Los Gatos itself

Old 12-03-2014, 11:58 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
If you have a job in Los Gatos and your family's salary is about $400K, then there is only one answer. Lets live in Los Gatos itself
Agreed. with a combined salary of $400k/year, that's more than enough to afford a place to rent in Los Gatos. It's a great town and is considered to be very desirable. You could also expand your search to Monte Sereno and Saratoga, although you probably wouldn't find too many rentals.

Also consider Almaden Valley and Cambrian Park in San Jose. Those areas border Los Gatos and also have good schools.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Live where you work, if you can afford to, and it's a decent area. This is the forum mantra. Trust us, commuting s*cks.

And Los Gatos is niiiiiiiice. You should love it. I don't know of any bad areas of Los Gatos, though I didn't live there. I lived in Santa Clara for 10 years prior to retiring up north last year. Los Gatos has a great reputation for being a nice, safe place to live, and is in a great location for outdoor recreation. Great farmer's market, too.

Congrats on the job!

Old 07-01-2015, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,199 times
Default Depends on living criteria

Hi - Possibly this advice is too late to do any good, but in case others are trying to decide to move to Los Gatos.....

I've been living in Los Gatos for over 16 years and love it! There are great restaurants, an extensive hiking trail system, some very cute (but expensive) boutiques as well as the big box stores (Sur La Table, Williams-Sonoma, Banana Republic, Anthropologie, Lucy, etc.). There are some nice free concert events during the summer as well. There is a lovely town/community feeling and it's one of the most dog friendly towns in Silicon Valley.

Having said that, if you want the best schools in the area, then I would recommend living in Saratoga which is just 5- 15 minutes away (depending on where you live in Saratoga). The high school there is definitely operating at a higher level than Los Gatos High which is a good school, but again if you want the best public school that is just over the border, then I recommend Saratoga. Saratoga's downtown though does not compare to Los Gatos, much smaller and no where near the same amount of interesting shops. The rents would be much higher too than Los Gatos.

Good Luck. I know it's ridiculously expensive to move here.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:59 AM

197 posts, read 347,710 times
Los Gatos is good. But there are other factors to consider. Not everyone who can afford to live in LG or other very affluent towns choose to live there for a myriad of reasons. We chose an area close by but not in that actual community because we found that it just fit us better. I would come and check all of the areas out and see what feels like a good fit. Good luck!

Old 07-04-2015, 03:06 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
Ditto that. Or Saratoga.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:34 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
Ditto that. Or Saratoga.
I have to disagree. Minimum entry price to something decent in those two cities is over $2M, and that's quite a stretch on a $400k salary. Maybe if you have significant assets, but not if you can only put down 20%.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:18 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
My parents built a new (albeit cookie cutter) 4 bedroom house in Los Gatos near Union Ave. for $21,000 in 1965. My how things have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose