Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 01:56 AM

271 posts, read 426,991 times

Advertisements

i don't get it. the residents are highly educated. home prices are extremely high. i would think this is a recipe for high performing schools but most schools in the SV/San Jose area are rated very poorly. Can someone explain this to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 03:01 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
i don't get it. the residents are highly educated. home prices are extremely high. i would think this is a recipe for high performing schools but most schools in the SV/San Jose area are rated very poorly. Can someone explain this to me?
Lots of rich people sending the kiddies to hoity-toity private schools.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:23 AM

372 posts, read 513,965 times
Many public schools in Silicon Valley have a very high percentage of children from poor Hispanic immigrant families. These children tend to score poorly on API tests (CA breaks down the scores by race and socioeconomic status). It doesn't necessarily make the schools "crappy" but the API scores are lower because of it. Integration policies in some cities drive scores down at neighborhood schools that would otherwise score highly. (BTW, these policies have not proven to be of any benefit to student performance according to several decades-long studies.)

Lower scores drive wealthier families either to move to a higher scoring school district or to send their kids to private school. This flight sends API scores into a downward spiral and the schools become more and more a place for the poor. Also, magnet schools have become popular lately, and these further draw the best students out of neighborhood schools, putting more downward pressure on scores.

It is pretty shocking that a city like Redwood City, where the median house sells for over $1m, has an elementary school district that is 70% poor Hispanic immigrants and API scores in the crapper. Homeowners, the ones paying for the schools through property tax, have basically abandoned them. This makes it less likely homeowners will vote for measures that increase property tax to fund school improvements, furthering the school district's decline.

Last edited by calicoastal; 12-19-2014 at 04:05 AM..

Old 12-19-2014, 12:24 PM

423 posts, read 610,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
What you are trying to say is that schools in areas you can afford to buy are not performing well. But there are a good schools in good areas, but home prices are high and probably out of your price range.

This is no different than any area, other than a delta (increase) in house prices.

In any area, there are better areas with better schools, with prices that are above the median price. The difference is middle class working professional can afford those above average homes.

In Bay Area, there are areas with working class folks and below-average performing schools; the homes are below median price here. You also have areas with mostly professionals with good schools; the homes are above median price. The difference is that median prices in SF, SM, SC counties are $800-900k for SFH. Areas with good schools will cost $1.2M to $1.5M+. And areas with great schools will cost $1.8M+.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:44 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Example of what is happening: I have a niece who lives in Redwood City, her 2nd grade age son is very, very, smart. After giving the public school a try she pulled him out and is home schooling him.

FWIW, she is a college graduate, her husband has a PhD in Mathematics.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:13 PM

215 posts, read 260,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post
What you are trying to say is that schools in areas you can afford to buy are not performing well. But there are a good schools in good areas, but home prices are high and probably out of your price range.

This is no different than any area, other than a delta (increase) in house prices.

In any area, there are better areas with better schools, with prices that are above the median price. The difference is middle class working professional can afford those above average homes.

In Bay Area, there are areas with working class folks and below-average performing schools; the homes are below median price here. You also have areas with mostly professionals with good schools; the homes are above median price. The difference is that median prices in SF, SM, SC counties are $800-900k for SFH. Areas with good schools will cost $1.2M to $1.5M+. And areas with great schools will cost $1.8M+.
I'd have to disagree with the bolded part. In other areas middle class working professionals (or even just with a single income) COMFORTABLY afford a house in an area with good schools. What is lacking in bay area is that although its overrun with a highly educated workforce, that does not translate into affordable homes in neighborhoods with good schools. Instead, even a professional working couple can barely afford the $1.2M to $1.5M house.
Lets not forget the poor, bay area must have the worst possible slope for upwards mobility for the unfortunate.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:22 PM

926 posts, read 979,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Lots of rich people sending the kiddies to hoity-toity private schools.
There has been news recently a private school principal who is getting paid more than 200k$ /yr was involved with teenager in a hotel with drug possession. Ooops, suddenly public schools are at least cheaper than private ones.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:09 PM

8 posts, read 12,285 times
Sunnyvale has good schools below El Camino.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:38 PM

424 posts, read 551,834 times
even in the best districts, school is still out at 2:30pm and working parents have to figure out what to do with the kids until 6pm. some of the schools have after care, but your kid will have to get a spot in the aftercare, it is not guaranteed. most of the private schools have a full day program with food included, and this will drive two income hard working families to choose private over public. There is no hassle about packing a lunch, or working out aftercare.

there are some decent public schools in lower-cost-to-enter areas, just start searching, and used all resources available. it does exist.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:10 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
I think part of it is that smart, educated people see the mess we have in the Bay Area as far as costs, crappy schools, etc, and if they want kids they either move out of the area or opt out of having them if they decide to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose