Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,673 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I need a serious help from all of you..

I came to US on a visa and had a DL. I got a speeding ticket which I didn't pay as I had to leave the country. This was 5 years back. Now the DL is expired.

Now I have come back to US again and thought of renewing but I saw there is an "Failure to Appear" and some other things there which I didn't understand.

Can I renew my old license or is it safe to just go for a new one? If I go for new one, will they be able to trace back to the old one and the ticket eventually? Via SSN etc?

Please help! I don't have enough money to pay for what I didn't do. I contested it that time and still would like to contest but now the DL itself is expired.

Oh and meanwhile, can I buy a car on my country's DL and register without any issues?

Your valuable advice is highly appreciated!
Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 03:32 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
You sound like a person we don't want living here. If I'm being honest with myself I say go back to where you came from.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:50 PM

sorry Robert for coming across as a bad person but it's too early to draw that conclusion!
I stayed here for so long with complete honesty and dignity. I even studied here and graduated from a very reputed university.
After staying for so long, I got this one speeding ticket and that too was not my mistake. That's the reason, I contested it in the first place. I would have paid it in time if found guilty. But things took a bad turn and I had to go back.

Sometimes it is fate than anything else.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:44 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
You need to contact the state that issued you a driver's license.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:54 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guslinn View Post
Hello All,

I need a serious help from all of you..

I came to US on a visa and had a DL. I got a speeding ticket which I didn't pay as I had to leave the country. This was 5 years back. Now the DL is expired.

Now I have come back to US again and thought of renewing but I saw there is an "Failure to Appear" and some other things there which I didn't understand.

Can I renew my old license or is it safe to just go for a new one? If I go for new one, will they be able to trace back to the old one and the ticket eventually? Via SSN etc?

Please help! I don't have enough money to pay for what I didn't do. I contested it that time and still would like to contest but now the DL itself is expired.

Oh and meanwhile, can I buy a car on my country's DL and register without any issues?

Your valuable advice is highly appreciated!
Thank you so much!!!
Probably can't go to your old license, probably will get caught when you go to a new one, especially if you had an SSN. The whole "failure to appear" thing and other stuff you said you didn't understand is probably a clear sign that they have systems to flag that you skipped out on the ticket...which makes sense that they would.

Given that you will probably get flagged on this, you'll likely have trouble registering a car you buy.

You'll probably have to pay your fines.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:34 PM

402 posts, read 538,273 times
If you are asking about opportunity to visit a prison, then the answer is "NO". You will not be put in prison because of your old ticket which you didn't pay.

Contact your local DMV office - they will help you with the process. Just do not lie to them.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:50 PM

134 posts, read 254,931 times
You cannot escape from your speeding ticket. You cannot get a DL unless you clear your old dues. Visit a DMV, pay the fine and come out clean. You contested the ticket and lost it. If you are a honest person as you claim to be, what is stopping you from paying your fine?

Old 01-07-2015, 11:45 PM

865 posts, read 1,826,917 times
Call the DMV. Pay the ticket. Eventually they'll let you have a license again. If you "get a new one" under some other name, then you are really breaking the law and could be much more severely punished than simply "I left the country without paying my ticket." I'd give up on the whole "I didn't do it" attitude with them at this point.

I worked with a guy in college that had so many unpaid tickets they took away his license. He slowly plugged away at them and paid them off then got his license back.

Just be honest and pay it.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:07 PM

Thank you so much All for your inputs! I guess I'll have to visit the DMV if I've to get a car here.
Yes, @dogandcat, I am worried about the prison thing...

Well, once again sincerely appreciate your valued inputs.

Best Regards!

Old 01-09-2015, 07:01 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
if you are asking about opportunity to visit a prison, then the answer is "no". You will not be put in prison because of your old ticket which you didn't pay.

Contact your local dmv office - they will help you with the process. Just do not lie to them.
100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose