Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 06:11 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipott View Post
How bad is it to drive between Quimby/Murillo intersection and the Tamien Caltrain station during commute times? I'm thinking maybe we could do Caltrain instead of the long drive each way on 101. It seems easier to drive to the Capitol station but I see that the train service to Capitol is very infrequent.
You might as well be going to the Diridon Station which has the most frequent service, but even then it's 10 miles in nasty traffic. On bad days for the Capitol Expressway, it could take 30 minutes to drive from Story Road to the 680 onramp, and they're going to be cutting a lane for the light-rail in the not too distant future. You may have better luck with Tully; it seems to move slightly better now that they fixed the interchange at 101.

The VTA does run an express bus from the Eastridge parking lot to Palo Alto, which has been in place for decades. It's the 103 line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 06:30 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,465 times
Have you given any thought to living in Milpitas? Safe area and good schools. Commute might be a bit of a problem, however.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:00 AM

55 posts, read 76,941 times
sonarrat, thanks! I guess we'll have to try a few things and figure it out... this s may be our best bet.

nmguy, we haven't considered Milpitas... we looked at a couple of homes in Warm Springs and the stench from the Dixxon Landing dump was pretty bad... and people have told me it could be much worse in Milpitas.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:30 AM

23 posts, read 54,705 times
Don't do Milpitas. I frequent the area quite a bit since there are a lot of Asian restaurants there that I like and the stench can be quite awful sometimes. I don't have the best sense of smell and I even sometimes feel like I want to gag when I step outside.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:43 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
The Milpitas stench is grossly exaggerated on this board. The further you head east away from I-880, the less likely you'll experience the odor. Neighborhoods closer to I-680 hardly ever get the smell. The odor also isn't an every day occurrence either.

Milpitas actually has some very nice neighborhoods and is overall a very safe and clean city. Schools are good too.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:08 PM

115 posts, read 337,170 times
I don't think the stench is that much exaggerated, but of course it depends on the exact location. I previously worked close to McCarthy Blvd and Tasman Dr and the smell was terrible.

I wonder why they don't relocate that landfill and allow for more housing in Milpitas. Especially with the growth of population in the coming years it seems to odd to "waste" that much good land. I don't mean to build housing on the site of the landfill itself, but the surrounding areas would be much better for housing without the awful stench.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:10 PM

134 posts, read 255,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrb View Post
I wonder why they don't relocate that landfill and allow for more housing in Milpitas.
It is not going away. Milpitas recently approved doubling the capacity of the landfill.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:16 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadaseri View Post
It is not going away. Milpitas recently approved doubling the capacity of the landfill.
You mean "San Jose" recently approved

Old 01-13-2015, 02:18 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrb View Post
I wonder why they don't relocate that landfill and allow for more housing in Milpitas.
Milpitas does not have a say in that landfill since it belongs to San Jose. And San Jose is loathe to put a landfill of that size in our own city, so Milpitas will just have to deal with it. In return, San Jose residents in Northeast San Jose spend tax money at your Great Mall and your restaurants along Calaveras

Old 01-13-2015, 06:10 PM

134 posts, read 255,125 times
You are correct bobby_guz_man. The landfill closure is extended from 2025 to 2041.

Neighbors Upset Over Milpitas Landfill, Say Smell is Unbearable | NBC Bay Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose