Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:12 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicLove View Post
There is the Ace rail that you could catch from San Jose/Santa Clara to Pleasanton, then catch an express bus to San Ramon, particularly useful if working in Bishop Ranch.
There's no reverse commute service, unfortunately.

I also do a reverse commute into the East Bay, in my case San Jose to Hayward. The best way to dodge the problematic sections would be 237 - 880 - Mission - 680. An alternate, if there are problems on 680, would be 237 - 880 - 238 - 580 - 680 or Crow Canyon Road. With either of these routes you would be there in under an hour reliably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 08:42 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyproffessional View Post
I have a great job offer with a 3day commute to the city and 2 day to San Ramon...
Rented a new apt in Sunnyvale opp the Caltrain station.

What are my options of public transport from Sunnyvale to San Ramon? Are there any express buses or shared cabs? My decision to take the offer will depend entirely on public transport options.
For the SF days, Cal train will be the obvious choice and should work well for you as long as your work is anywhere near the King St station in SF and you can ride the bullet service each way. San Ramon will be much more tricky. I ran the rough through 511.or (your new best friend) using random stops at both ends since I donut know either address of course. It gave me a pretty crazy transmit route which involves 2 VTA segments, 1 Dumbarton express ride, 2 Bart rides, and a pretty long stretch on the County Connection to San Ramon.I you departed at 9:30 am you'd get there at 1:11 pm. Of course if you ledt at more typical rush hour times, it might be a little quicker, but not 20 minutes. I think you's need a private pneumatic tunnel for that.

Normally I tend to berate people for not considering moving right next to work. But in your case it's different because you're work is in two far apart locations and you've already committed to renting a place not near either of them. So my suggestion is enjoy some good reading time and exercise on the SF days and just do the drive to San Ramon the others. The good thing is that is a fully reverse commute, so it should;t be a complete nightmare each and every time. It will have its moments though. In the future, when you're free of whatever you committed to in Sunnyvale and know the areas better, perhaps you can pick some place near the bart line closer to San Ramon, so you're looking at easy driving on those days and a tolerable rail trip the others. Better yet, maybe you can find a nice offer right there in Sunnyvale and walk/bike there or ride the train a stop or two.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyproffessional View Post
Thank you for your responses.

ccm123, unfortunately we just signed a lease a month ago in Sunnyvale for a year so moving soon would not be an option.

If we do the move in future, how would the commute for DH be from Dublin to San Jose where he works. He is ok driving unlike me.
Can't you break the lease with some sort of small penalty? We just moved from Mountain View to Danville and very much prefer the tri-valley to the Silicon Valley. Its just nicer here and more relaxed. I'm even saying this with a long commute that I have. If I had a job in the tri-valley, it would be a no brainer. Sunnyvale is just bleh.....

Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
If I had a job in the tri-valley, it would be a no brainer. Sunnyvale is just bleh.....
Please, I think the "tri-valley" (dumb name) is as bleh as it gets, but thats just my opinion. I think we can be more objective than that. I lived in Sunnyvale for 11 years and it's best for...
Commuting to a job in Silicon Valley (especially ones in Sunnyvale and North Santa Clara/San Jose)
Access to cal train (among other places)
Spending way too much on a house
Keeping your car clean
Bay access (walking, biking -- no boating)
Mild year round weather

Not good for:
Affordable housing
Season weather
Hip urban scene
Commuting to San Ramon

TriValley seems best for saying other places are bleh to me, but I never lived there so why don't you fill in that part?

Old 01-27-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post

TriValley seems best for saying other places are bleh to me, but I never lived there so why don't you fill in that part?
First of all, you are making Sunnyvale sound like it is a thriving urban environment. Its just as suburban as the tri-valley, only closer to most jobs. That is the one thing I think it has going for it. Other than that, it is mainly sort of dumpy. Other than a few areas, the schools are also not that great, yet you're still going to pay through the roof.

The tri-valley is much more upscale (with the exception of Dublin). It has all the same type of downtowns you get in the Silicon Valley. San Ramon doesn't, but then again, Sunnyvale's is a block and Cupertino doesn't have a downtown either. Pleasanton, Danville, Walnut Creek and Livermore all have nice downtowns.

The weather is a little warmer in the tri-valley, which I personally prefer (maybe you don't). The schools are a lot better in general, you get more for your money and I just find people friendlier.

If you work at Google, Facebook or Apple and want to be closer to work, Sunnyvale is a better place to live. If you want a better lifestyle (aside from the commute), the tri-valley blows this away, unless you're a multi-millionnaire and can afford a mansion in Los Altos Hills.

If you want the urban environment, neither of these areas has that and you should move to SF.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
First of all, you are making Sunnyvale sound like it is a thriving urban environment. Its just as suburban as the tri-valley,
Where did I say that? I put 'hip urban environment' under the things it's NOT so good for. In other words it's not very hip and it is very suburban. I can't speak for San Ramon, as I haven't been there. I visited someone in Dublin once but don't remember much of it. My comments were not about what's best for me, I'm trying to help the OP with what I know about Sunnyvale.

Quote:
The weather is a little warmer in the tri-valley, which I personally prefer (maybe you don't).
Again, t's not about MY preference. I prefer Colorado, but that's not gong to work for the OP or you. I'm sure San Ramon or someplace near it is great if you work in San Ramon. I asked you to list the pros and cons of your suggested area(s), but instead you just argued with my list. So I'm not sure what else I can say that wont just confuse the OP and other readers of this thread.

Quote:
Sunnyvale... just as suburban as the tri-valley, only closer to most jobs. That is the one thing I think it has going for it.
That's a pretty BIG thing, unless you like driving.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
That's a pretty BIG thing, unless you like driving.
Well, they are going to be doing a lot of driving if they stay in Sunnyvale.

Also, not everyone in that area works nearby. When I lived in Mountain View, I knew several people that commuted to SF/SSF. The fact is that while you may increase the chances of working nearby, it is by no means a guarantee in the Bay Area.

Personally, I'd rather live in a beautiful new house in Danville (where I live now), for the same money for what I could pay for a fixer in Sunnyvale.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Well, they are going to be doing a lot of driving if they stay in Sunnyvale.

Also, not everyone in that area works nearby. When I lived in Mountain View, I knew several people that commuted to SF/SSF. The fact is that while you may increase the chances of working nearby, it is by no means a guarantee in the Bay Area.
True. Your arguments distracted me a bit. In their case, Sunnyvale is the worst option unless their job is subject to change. I was just listing general pros and cons about Sunnyvale because they asked and that's what I know. You still have yet to do that about your area. I get that you personally prefer Danville, but how does that help other readers?

Old 01-27-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
True. Your arguments distracted me a bit. In their case, Sunnyvale is the worst option unless their job is subject to change. I was just listing general pros and cons about Sunnyvale because they asked and that's what I know. You still have yet to do that about your area. I get that you personally prefer Danville, but how does that help other readers?
Tri-Valley:

Pros:
-Nice, upscale communities
-Relatively affordable (more for your money vs Silicon Valley)
-Great schools
-People tend to be more down to earth, in my opinion
-Better weather in my opinion (I prefer it warm and with less fog/wind)
-Very family friendly
-Tons of outdoor/recreation
-Accessible to BART for commuting

Cons:
-Not too many jobs in the area (most people commute to the city, peninsula or valley)
-Suburban (I actually don't think its a con, but I would've if I were still single and without kids)
-More conservative (by Bay Area standards)

Old 01-27-2015, 11:57 PM

Excellent list road warrior! If I ever have to move back to ca but not commute to sv, I'll check out tri valley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose