Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:27 PM

30 posts, read 50,522 times

Advertisements

I have a great job offer with a 3day commute to the city and 2 day to San Ramon. I am averse to driving beyond 20mins each way (spoilt from working and living in NY city for yrs

Rented a new apt in Sunnyvale opp the Caltrain station.

Being new to the Bay area, I was looking for some help here. I have read that the commute from Sunnyvale to San Ramon is terrible. I drove on a Sunday to San Ramon in 45mins with no traffic. How is it on a weekday?

What are my options of public transport from Sunnyvale to San Ramon? Are there any express buses or shared cabs?

My decision to take the offer will depend entirely on public transport options. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I have to get back today to the recruiter)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 05:05 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyproffessional View Post
I have a great job offer with a 3day commute to the city and 2 day to San Ramon. I am averse to driving beyond 20mins each way (spoilt from working and living in NY city for yrs

Rented a new apt in Sunnyvale opp the Caltrain station.

Being new to the Bay area, I was looking for some help here. I have read that the commute from Sunnyvale to San Ramon is terrible. I drove on a Sunday to San Ramon in 45mins with no traffic. How is it on a weekday?

What are my options of public transport from Sunnyvale to San Ramon? Are there any express buses or shared cabs?

My decision to take the offer will depend entirely on public transport options. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I have to get back today to the recruiter)
It's not exactly a desirable commute. It would be almost entirely against commute direction though so may not be too bad. Assuming traffic is moving at the speed limit, you'd be looking at about 40 minutes to get from Sunnyvale to San Ramon.

I don't have any personal knowledge about other transportation options heading out that way.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:08 PM

23,530 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Sunnyvale to San Ramon is definitely a "reverse commute" during normal business hours. Most of the traffic in the AM is flowing from San Ramon, Dublin and Pleasanton into Sunnyvale and the surrounding areas.

Personally, I would live in Pleasanton or Dublin and take BART into the city for 3 days and have a close drive to San Ramon for the other 2. The Sunnyvale to SF commute would be tough in the morning, but you could take Caltrain.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:18 PM

Thank you for your responses.

ccm123, unfortunately we just signed a lease a month ago in Sunnyvale for a year so moving soon would not be an option.

If we do the move in future, how would the commute for DH be from Dublin to San Jose where he works. He is ok driving unlike me.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:42 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,277 times
Quote:

ccm123, unfortunately we just signed a lease a month ago in Sunnyvale for a year so moving soon would not be an option.

If we do the move in future, how would the commute for DH be from Dublin to San Jose where he works. He is ok driving unlike me.
Based on what people tell me Dublin to San Jose would be 60 minutes to 90 minutes each way depending on when you decide to get on the road, granted San Jose is big so it kind of depends on where in San Jose as well, I'm thinking somewhere near Paypal? But there is a new HOT lane on 680 which may have improved traffic.
Tri-valley to Santa Clara Valley is one of the worst commutes, though at least it isn't Bay Bridge or I-80 by Berkeley.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:50 PM

133 posts, read 175,615 times
There is the Ace rail that you could catch from San Jose/Santa Clara to Pleasanton, then catch an express bus to San Ramon, particularly useful if working in Bishop Ranch.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:20 PM

Dublin -> San Jose is an "in traffic" commute during normal business hours and it's one of the toughest.
Reason being, is that there is a lot of traffic pressure from commuters further out (Tracy, Manteca, Modesto, etc) where "affordable" (relatively, anyway) housing is. These commuters come in on I-580, then on to I-680 to I-880, into San Jose and Silicon Valley.

I commuted from Pleasanton to North San Jose a few days a week (1-3 days) for a time, but always tried to travel around rush hours. I usually left home around 6 AM and tried to leave the office around 3 PM, when possible.

Quote:

Old 01-26-2015, 07:39 PM

Thank you once again. this makes it all the more difficult to move.

I checked the ace rail. It shows no morning trains from San Jose to Pleasanton. There are trains only in the evening. So this options would not work for San Ramon.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,478 times
Why would you live in Sunnyvale when neither work location is anywhere near Sunnyvale? I would see if you can break your lease, claim new-to-town ignorance, play on their kindness, ask them if their is a doggie play area for your Rottweiler....something. Something. That's a long commute for what seems like no reason.

Last edited by Wintermomma; 01-26-2015 at 10:28 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 10:15 PM

I was wondering that myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
Why would you live in Sunnyvale when neither work location is Sunnyvale? I would see if you can break your lease, claim new-to-town ignorance, play on their kindness. Something. That's a long commute for what seems like no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose