Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 04:22 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,199,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
The one problem with moving out of the Bay Area is move out but to where? Any semi-desirable place in this country with jobs is not cheap either.

I think people consider moving to say a Milwaukee or Birmingham, visit it, and say forget it...I'll just put up with the tiny home, the traffic and other negatives. California is definitely a personal sacrifice many are willing to pay to live here.
I don't know, I think this is a pretty large overstatement. There's plenty of large metro areas that are nice places to live that are vastly cheaper than the Bay Area. You are right that many of them are not cheap, per se -- but they are vastly cheaper than the Bay Area. Some examples that come to mind:

- Seattle
- Chicago
- Washington, DC
- Atlanta
- Richmond, VA
- Denver / Boulder
- Houston
- Austin
- Las Vegas
- Indianapolis
- Boston

Now, obviously, these places run the gamut. Some are known for their fantastic suburban areas, some have great cities, some are a bit of both. None offer the "perfect" weather of California -- if a temperature between 50 and 80 about 95% of the time is your only priority, there's really nowhere else in the world you can really live than coastal California. But if you don't mind seasons of different kinds, these cities offer many variations.

The real reason most people are here boils down to one word: jobs. For people in tech, this area offers a vast array of opportunities that simply don't exist anywhere else. Yes, there are tech jobs in other places, but your mobility is far more limited in other places. For people in industries like BioTech, there are other options, but this is one of the main centers.

Speaking for myself only -- I like this area a lot. I like the weather (though I miss winter), I like the outdoor opportunities, I like the food, the beer, and the wine, and I enjoy San Francisco and Tahoe and Monterey. But I wouldn't live here absent the job factor -- I can just get so much more for so much less in so many other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 04:30 PM

115 posts, read 230,462 times
Agreed, my family and I are moving to Austin - while we are giving up some things the Bay Area has to offer, we're gaining so much in return. It's all about trade-offs. I'll take better schools, a brand new house in a family friendly community, safety, keep my job, and deal with the heat and not being able to go to a Giants game.

When we realized we were going to move out of the Bay Area, our first thought was 'oh god, but where would be go? nowhere is like here'. when we started visiting places (many of them in the thread above Seattle, Austin, Boulder, Raleigh, San Diego) we quickly realized that other places are really pretty nice for a LOT cheaper.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:09 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
I don't know, I think this is a pretty large overstatement. There's plenty of large metro areas that are nice places to live that are vastly cheaper than the Bay Area. You are right that many of them are not cheap, per se -- but they are vastly cheaper than the Bay Area. Some examples that come to mind:

- Seattle
- Chicago
- Washington, DC
- Atlanta
- Richmond, VA
- Denver / Boulder
- Houston
- Austin
- Las Vegas
- Indianapolis
- Boston

Now, obviously, these places run the gamut. Some are known for their fantastic suburban areas, some have great cities, some are a bit of both. None offer the "perfect" weather of California -- if a temperature between 50 and 80 about 95% of the time is your only priority, there's really nowhere else in the world you can really live than coastal California. But if you don't mind seasons of different kinds, these cities offer many variations.

The real reason most people are here boils down to one word: jobs. For people in tech, this area offers a vast array of opportunities that simply don't exist anywhere else. Yes, there are tech jobs in other places, but your mobility is far more limited in other places. For people in industries like BioTech, there are other options, but this is one of the main centers.

Speaking for myself only -- I like this area a lot. I like the weather (though I miss winter), I like the outdoor opportunities, I like the food, the beer, and the wine, and I enjoy San Francisco and Tahoe and Monterey. But I wouldn't live here absent the job factor -- I can just get so much more for so much less in so many other places.
There isn't one city on that list that I would consider living in. I have been to all of those cities and lived in Seattle. I would rather live in Phoenix than any of the cities on your list. I lived in Phoenix but I would never mpve there from California.

Indianapolis is on the list of the 10 worst cities in many categories.

If all I wanted was cheap living, I would live in Brownsville Texas or Yuma Arizona.

The Bay area is great but there are other areas in California that are very nice and a lot more affordable.

The cost of living in San Diego is lower than Seattle and San Diego is a great place to live. We lived there for several years.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:14 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhermes View Post
This thread scares me. Husband is interviewing at Apple and we're thinking about moving there from Wisconsin with our two little ones (5 months, 17 months). I adapt well to change and make friends fast, but... Talk of crime and stupid traffic and ****ty schools worries me.

Someone please say something positive...!
Contrary to what some have said on this forum, San Jose is actually one of the safest large cities in the country. Only San Diego CA is a little safer. San Jose's crime rate is much lower than Milwaukee.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:55 PM

337 posts, read 405,673 times
I'd much rather live in a Condo in California than a SFH in any of the other cities on that list.

There is something you get outside in California that you don't get living in any of those places mentioned and for me the tradeoff in space is worth it. I don't like sitting in my residence much anyways and am outside most of the time.

For some, their only dream in life is a SFH with a big yard and I can understand that.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post

- Seattle
- Chicago
- Washington, DC
- Atlanta
- Richmond, VA
- Denver / Boulder
- Houston
- Austin
- Las Vegas
- Indianapolis
- Boston

None of these places are as unique as California. You don't get to go to places like Napa, Sonoma, Yosemite, Big Sur, Malibu, Monterey, Laguna Beach, Manhattan Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, LA, Pacific Coast Highway etc. on weekends and have perennial sunshine/ mild weather.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:55 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
San Jose Police and Fire Unions are threatening the public again. Which part of "we can't afford to pay you this ridiculous amount" do these guys not understand?

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-...ource=infinite

Old 07-15-2015, 10:20 AM

115 posts, read 230,462 times
Quote:
None of these places are as unique as California. You don't get to go to places like Napa, Sonoma, Yosemite, Big Sur, Malibu, Monterey, Laguna Beach, Manhattan Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, LA, Pacific Coast Highway etc. on weekends and have perennial sunshine/ mild weather.
How often do you ACTUALLY go to those places a year? Napa/Sonoma? Once, maybe twice if that's your thing. Yosemite? Maybe every 4-5 years...maybe. Big Sur, been there once in my life. And you can't throw in Malibu/Laguna/SD/PCH as a 'pro' to the bay area. Those places aren't even close. Monterey, maybe 2-3 times a year if you're ambitious (there's only so many times you can go to the aquarium)

I would argue that if you asked people who live in the areas above, they'd say 'nothing is as unique as my town' which will probably be true.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
How often do you ACTUALLY go to those places a year? Napa/Sonoma? Once, maybe twice if that's your thing. Yosemite? Maybe every 4-5 years...maybe. Big Sur, been there once in my life. And you can't throw in Malibu/Laguna/SD/PCH as a 'pro' to the bay area. Those places aren't even close. Monterey, maybe 2-3 times a year if you're ambitious (there's only so many times you can go to the aquarium)

I would argue that if you asked people who live in the areas above, they'd say 'nothing is as unique as my town' which will probably be true.
Ok you have a point I am not saying that this place is the be all and end all. Obviously if you are making enough money and have a great career/business here then this place is worth it. Otherwise you are better off exploring other parts of the country.

I myself am looking to go back to the east coast (NYC) because the NYC metro area is cheaper than the Bay Area and NYC is a much better and well run city than SF.

To me SF is charging NYC and London prices without the excitement, cosmopolitan nature, public transit etc.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:12 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
Quote:

I myself am looking to go back to the east coast (NYC) because the NYC metro area is cheaper than the Bay Area and NYC is a much better and well run city than SF.

To me SF is charging NYC and London prices without the excitement, cosmopolitan nature, public transit etc.
The Bay Area is a big place. You don't have to stay in SF and deal with the shenanigans there. You can always stay outside it and then go in whenever you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose