Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 04:29 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
...NYC is a much better and well run city than SF.

To me SF is charging NYC and London prices without the excitement, cosmopolitan nature, public transit etc.
Not with NYC's current mayor. Violent crime is up dramatically since de Blasio became mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 04:53 PM

337 posts, read 405,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Not with NYC's current mayor. Violent crime is up dramatically since de Blasio became mayor.
I haven't heard that at all. The statistics state the opposite in fact is true - violent crime is the LOWEST EVER.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2278449

Quit watching faux news.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:08 PM

115 posts, read 230,534 times
this happened yesterday in San Jose:
SJPD is asking for the public's assistance identifying a robbery suspect

Old 07-15-2015, 05:28 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
I haven't heard that at all. The statistics state the opposite in fact is true - violent crime is the LOWEST EVER.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2278449

Quit watching faux news.
You are out of date.

Murders up 20% in 2015 in year-to-year comparison, NYPD says - NY Daily News

Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 AM

115 posts, read 230,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhermes View Post
This thread scares me. Husband is interviewing at Apple and we're thinking about moving there from Wisconsin with our two little ones (5 months, 17 months). I adapt well to change and make friends fast, but... Talk of crime and stupid traffic and ****ty schools worries me.

Someone please say something positive...!
Oh, I forgot to mention. There are good sushi places in the Bay Area. Coming from Wisconsin, I'd imagine you'll be happy with the sushi scene in the bay area! Sushi and weather.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:21 PM

Be glad you are getting out of the formerly progressive state of Wisconsin.

I predict the state will become the next Kansas in a few years and will eventually join the likes of Alabama and Mississippi in the not so distant future.

Gov. Scott Walker savages Wisconsin public education in new budget - The Washington Post

Old 07-16-2015, 02:18 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Isn't Wisconsin one of the States in the black and living within it's means?

One of the big complaints about California and the Bay Area is crushing debt and red ink.

Seems like the the governor of Wisconsin has the support of the voters... 3 elections if memory serves.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

One of the big complaints about California and the Bay Area is crushing debt and red ink.

Seems like the the governor of Wisconsin has the support of the voters... 3 elections if memory serves.
Last I checked, California is in the black now.

Startup companies don't care about tax rates, they care about how to attract and retain smart, entrepreneurial, hard working people to build and grow the company. Those kinds of people attend great universities, have worked long and hard to achieve excellence, and want their children to grow up in an area where education is a top priority.

So here's the report card on Madison vs Oakland: Wisconsin attracted $87 million in venture capital in 2014, that is, smart money investors are willing to take risks. Note that's declined from $132 million a few years earlier.

By comparison, lowly Oakland, California attracted $1,185 million ($1.185 BILLION) in venture capital in 2014. That's 13.6 times more money than all of Wisconsin. In actuality, it's 52 times more per capita, as Alameda county has only 1.5 million people vs Wisconsin's 5.8 million.

Oakland has higher income tax, sales tax, cost of housing, crime, etc. than Wisconsin. But Oakland has nearby University of California Berkeley, arguably the top public university on the planet based upon Nobel Laureates.

I've been polite to my Badger cousins by comparing to Oakland. Until now I didn't mention that San Francisco startups raised $16 billion in venture funding and Silicon Valley startups raised $6.7 billion. Low taxes do not stimulate business creation and job growth. Innovative people and an entire ecosystem geared toward taking risks rather than avoiding taxes are what stimulates growth.

So why would you want California to follow Scott Walker's lead?

Old 07-16-2015, 02:30 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Walker has unfortunately used tax cuts to businesses that has not helped the state budget, and he is balancing the budget, so to speak, on the backs of the K-12 public education and the University of Wisconsin.

As an educational consultant advising high school aged children and their families, including college applications, at this point I cannot recommend my clients apply to U of WI because of the budget cuts (severe) to the system as well as Walker's trying to gut tenure for faculty.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:32 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian12345 View Post
How often do you ACTUALLY go to those places a year? Napa/Sonoma? Once, maybe twice if that's your thing. Yosemite? Maybe every 4-5 years...maybe. Big Sur, been there once in my life. And you can't throw in Malibu/Laguna/SD/PCH as a 'pro' to the bay area. Those places aren't even close. Monterey, maybe 2-3 times a year if you're ambitious (there's only so many times you can go to the aquarium)

I would argue that if you asked people who live in the areas above, they'd say 'nothing is as unique as my town' which will probably be true.
I went to Death Valley in April, Big Sur in May (also went last November), and LA/Santa Barbara also in May. Visited SF three times in the past 5 weeks to enjoy museums, great food and the beach. Went camping in the redwoods and stopped in Santa Cruz last weekend. Planning a camping trip in Lassen in August, and another camping trip (TBD, maybe Humboldt redwoods) in September/October. Also there have been a couple trips to Monterey in there (we have a yearly pass to the Aquarium).

I visited Yosemite every summer of my life from age 0 to 18. I've been out of the habit but just made reservations for 2016 a couple days ago.

No I don't go to those places every weekend, but I get to such places far more often than my sister who moved the the midwest. She only gets to do things like that every few years. The lakes/forests in northern Wisconsin are nice but are not in the same league by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose