Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 06:35 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

I'm a native, born and raised, and raised my own kids in the Bay. If you find anyplace better, not just cheaper, let me know. Big houses don't do it for me so seriously, let me know what you find that offers all the good stuff of the Bay at half the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 12:20 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm a native, born and raised, and raised my own kids in the Bay. If you find anyplace better, not just cheaper, let me know. Big houses don't do it for me so seriously, let me know what you find that offers all the good stuff of the Bay at half the price.
santa barbara

Old 02-02-2015, 12:39 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The big difference is you've been in your house for decades. You probably couldn't afford to buy your house at its current prices (even if you had a spouse who worked). That's what young people are up against in the Bay Area. Even 2 professional level incomes don't buy you very much any more.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Santa Barbara
....Which is really not any cheaper than the Bay Area (or only marginally so).

Old 02-02-2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsugrad03 View Post
That's accurate, but is mostly because of established home owners that bought years ago, and distribution of lower income people renting. If you look at the median income of people who are actually buying homes in Santa Clara Country, it's likely closer to 200k. When people generally refer to the income people need to live here, they're implying the income needed to afford to buy a home....the whole American dream thing.
See this is what I mean by the bubble mentality. Of course the median income of home buyers is 200K....because people making the median at just under 100K can't afford anything.

That doesn't mean the "average" person here has an income of 200K.

You have to basically be well into upper middle class to afford any kind of property here, especially single family detached houses.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
I don't disagree with the idea that this area is a tough place to raise kids, but I think you paint a bleaker picture than is accurate.

Schools vary hugely -- yes there are lousy districts, but there are good ones too.

Traffic -- I've lived in other places (Houston, Washington, DC) -- and traffic is no great shakes either. Compared to DC, the traffic here is as bad during rush hour... but not NEARLY as bad at other times. Here, you can usually actually get around on Sunday at 3pm, which is more than can be said for DC a lot of the time. My point is, traffic is a problem throughout the US, it's by no means unique to the Bay Area. Now, cost of living can compound it, because people have super commutes to avoid the prices. But that's a separate issue.

Quality of life -- You say average, I think it is way higher than average. I guess it depends on what you like... but the offerings out here are, for me, awesome. I love outdoor activities, and this area is excellent for that. I can be hiking in the mountains in 45min, go on a nice bike ride right out my door, be up in SF which is an awesome city in 45min, be at the beach in an hour or less, or skiing at Tahoe (most years...) in 4-5 hours. Oh, and excellent wine and food options all around. Not many major cities offer all of that.

Now, you can debate if it's worth the price, but I don't think QOL here is merely average.

As for myself, I'm single, and in tech, so I'm very lucky and recognize that. Even so, I don't see myself staying here forever. I'm primarily here for work, and while I like the area a lot, there's plenty of others I'd consider (Seattle, maybe Boston, maybe the Southwest, maybe the Midwest if I could find a great job). Of course, I also actually like seasons (other than hot humid summers), so I'm more open to other areas than some :P.
I will concede I can't speak definitively on schools. But American students in general do far worse academically than their peers in other developed countries, so I don't even think our above average schools are any great shakes. If I had kids, I would homeschool them.

I also don't think you can separate out the issues with the high cost of real estate and the supercommuting (which creates horrific traffic). The two are too intertwined.

Your view of the quality of life is very much skewed by 3 factors: 1. You have no kids. 2. You work in tech. 3. Your income is well above the median for the area. Take away any one or more of those factors and quality of life goes down significantly.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:59 AM

Oh, and for the "San Jose is no longer safe" crowd:

Homicides in the Bay Area’s biggest cities fell in 2014 to a level that hasn’t been seen since 2001 and has rarely been achieved in the past four decades, according to a Chronicle analysis.

San Jose’s 32 slayings were down from 44 in 2013

Bay Area cities

Old 02-02-2015, 02:50 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
....Which is really not any cheaper than the Bay Area (or only marginally so).
I misread his post admittedly... but at any rate the point is that there are places that are nicer than here. The south bay is very plebeian and unsophisticated considering what you pay for.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:43 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
Quote:
Oh, and for the "San Jose is no longer safe" crowd:

San Jose’s 32 slayings were down from 44 in 2013

Bay Area cities
I agree. Perhaps what they are really complaining about is greater diversity in Silicon Valley in the past 30 years or so.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:47 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
Quote:
See this is what I mean by the bubble mentality. Of course the median income of home buyers is 200K....because people making the median at just under 100K can't afford anything.
Well, they can't afford exactly the kind of home they want, maybe. Lots of people who make under $100k live in shared housing without any issues.

Quote:
That doesn't mean the "average" person here has an income of 200K.
Correct. Median is about $100k.

Quote:
You have to basically be well into upper middle class to afford any kind of property here, especially single family detached houses.
Yeah, that's the most expensive type of housing in the Bay Area. That's like the Ewings on Dallas. But if you have two parents and two kids, all you need is a three bedroom condo inside of a building containing other condos. Density is the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose