Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:48 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,097 times

Advertisements

30-40%?! After how many years are you thinking you'd get that bump with a job change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 02:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,982 times
It does vary based on the job category but from what I have observed the average is less than 10%. There simply isn't that much pay differential between competitors for the same job.

Across industries it might vary more.

Most people make a move for reasons other than salary alone (the future opportunity, promotion opportunity, shorter commute, less stress, whatever).

Old 03-08-2015, 12:39 AM

207 posts, read 257,301 times
I think it should be totally dependent upon market value. As in, senior software engineer (ms+5yrs) should get 150k+bonus in bay area at least. If you are making like 110k, then you should be eligible to get upto 140-150k + bonus. Better not to tell potential employer about the current salary. If you have multiple offers, you can negotiate upto 30% hike. As mentioned before, cost of tech life grows year by year. Also more payment that we get owing to experience should be utilized by self not feeding the leasing center.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:33 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlovet View Post
I think it should be totally dependent upon market value. As in, senior software engineer (ms+5yrs) should get 150k+bonus in bay area at least. If you are making like 110k, then you should be eligible to get upto 140-150k + bonus. Better not to tell potential employer about the current salary. If you have multiple offers, you can negotiate upto 30% hike. As mentioned before, cost of tech life grows year by year. Also more payment that we get owing to experience should be utilized by self not feeding the leasing center.
What you should get and what happens in reality are two different things. You may look at averages and realize that for what you're doing, you are well below the median salary. I went through this a few years ago. I interviewed for jobs at other companies and was always extremely uncomfortable when the salary question came up. I tried to avoid answering it (as I was advised), but I found that this typically just caused me to be eliminated from interviews. I thought about lying about the salary, but was always paranoid that they'd find out sometime.

In the times that I've switched companies, the past two times I found that I was offered a 12% salary increase. I tried to negotiate base salary, but they wouldn't negotiate. Rather, they were more flexible with my sign-on bonus.

I think companies want to get you for the cheapest amount possible and believe that a 10-15% raise is a compelling enough offer to get you to move.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:59 PM

207 posts, read 257,301 times
Hi Roadwarrior,
perhaps multiple offers are necessary to push the negotiation up. Not only that once we join a company, we have to assume we may get 1% raise or nothing. So over 3 years, the salary right now wont change to cater the increase in rent over 3 years(in other words, savings will show up gradual decline). So upfront negotiation is extremely useful. I just happened to talk to a friend yesterday. He is fresh grad and has got 2 offers already. 1 in bay area with 106k(no bonus/stock) and one in San diego at 90k (+20k rsu vested over 3 yrs). I told him for now, san diego offer is slightly better. But advised him to keep on the interviews. If he gets in Seattle, Austin, or NC he will be better off. The problem that I felt in san diego offer is lack of tech employers. I was there for year. the place is not that good for tech.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:38 AM

34 posts, read 41,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlovet View Post
Hi,

So how do we handle the question about current salary? Directly say 'i am not in a position to disclose this'? And tell them that i am looking for the current market salary for this position?

Thanks

Old 03-12-2015, 04:05 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amars View Post
So how do we handle the question about current salary? Directly say 'i am not in a position to disclose this'? And tell them that i am looking for the current market salary for this position?
Answer to the first question: no. that's just a weak thing to say, they're going to know you're embarrassed about your current salary.
Answer to the second question: yes. Seriously. Everyone needs to be at the current market salary for their job. Do your research first, find out what that is, and then tell them "the average salary for this job is X, and that's where I need to be." Plain and simple.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:50 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Answer to the first question: no. that's just a weak thing to say, they're going to know you're embarrassed about your current salary.
Answer to the second question: yes. Seriously. Everyone needs to be at the current market salary for their job. Do your research first, find out what that is, and then tell them "the average salary for this job is X, and that's where I need to be." Plain and simple.
After I did my own startup for awhile, a position for which I did not give myself a salary, I basically demanded a much higher salary than that, I told them I did not pay myself, and I expect this much, if I don't own 40% of the company they can't expect to pay me as if I did.

My previous salary to that was about 30% lower than what I was demanding, they took it as my initial request and then gave me less salary but with a huge stock and bonus incentive. At the end they know I know they can afford it , and that we both know the market salary, they can offer based on the salary I had before the startup, but I seriously don't think my experience level before and after the startup should be considered the same.

Either way, in the current economy it shouldn't be hard to demand the market wage even with a lower wage now, just let them know what you want, they won't always match it, but it shouldn't be hard to get more than one offer if you're really trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: