Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 02:03 PM

11 posts, read 27,044 times

Advertisements

As we are moving from Tokyo, we would like an area that has excellent elementary schools, an organic food store, great restaurants and playgrounds as well. We will be renting initially and are looking for a relatively new 2br/ 2 bath apartment building with a pool-budget around $2500 ? Am I asking for too much ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
That would have been enough of a budget 3 years ago, I don't know about now. Probably not if it has to be newer. Most of the top school districts don't have a lot of apartments for that matter, but you can look in these areas:

- Lynbrook/Cupertino/southern Sunnyvale (all very similar)
- Mountain View - Cuesta Park area
- Los Gatos
- Western side of Berryessa - like around Oakland/Brokaw
- Santa Clara - Rivermark

Old 07-13-2013, 12:31 AM

197 posts, read 347,781 times
San Jose has several great schools

Almaden School District
Union School District
Cambrian School District
Willow Glen (Booksin Elementary)
I am sure I am missing some...

Your rent price is on the low side but you might find something for 2800-3000

All of these areas are near parks, shopping, restaurants etc.

FWIW I went to Lynbrook and would not ever send my own kids there..

Old 07-19-2013, 07:16 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
I want to hear this - why wouldn't you send your kids to Lynbrook?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 AM

197 posts, read 347,781 times
The environment is too high pressure for my liking.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:31 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryShah View Post
As we are moving from Tokyo, we would like an area that has excellent elementary schools, an organic food store, great restaurants and playgrounds as well. We will be renting initially and are looking for a relatively new 2br/ 2 bath apartment building with a pool-budget around $2500 ? Am I asking for too much ?
One of the drivers of rent is the quality of the public schools. So, two otherwise identical apartments where one is in a coveted school district while another is not will find a significant difference in the price of rent.

So... one strategy that some familes take is to live where the rent is within budget, and then send kids to private school. There are many excellent private schools around the area.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 AM

563 posts, read 807,392 times
Southwest side of Sunnyvale is zoned to Homestead High School, and Cupertino Middle School. For elementary school, just avoid Vargas Elementary.

By the way, where are you going to work?

Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

So... one strategy that some familes take is to live where the rent is within budget, and then send kids to private school. There are many excellent private schools around the area.
I am thinking along this line as well. We do have quite a bit of good to excellent private schools around San Jose. But I'm not planning on sending the kids to private school until their high school years. Meanwhile, as long as the public elementary and middle schools aren't half-assed jobs, then I'll be alright with them.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:41 PM

563 posts, read 807,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
I am thinking along this line as well. We do have quite a bit of good to excellent private schools around San Jose. But I'm not planning on sending the kids to private school until their high school years. Meanwhile, as long as the public elementary and middle schools aren't half-assed jobs, then I'll be alright with them.
I agree with this plan. Even some places where housing costs $1million+ are zoned to average schools. To the OP: I do recommend you think about living closer to potential private schools in case getting your kids over there becomes a problem (though many families will carpool together due to the high rate of parents sending their kids to private schools.)

Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
I doubt priv sch tuition < yearly rent savings from two different areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose