Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 09:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Just moved into a SFH in San Jose south.
I am puzzled with the garbage colelction system.

I have noticed there are 3 garbage cans at my new house, they are all different size/shape/color.
Which one is used for what?
What rules apply?
Am I supposed to keep the garbage cans in my side yard until collection day, or leave on the street-side of my fence? – I have never lived in a single family home. On collection day, is there any rules for the position of the bins relative to other objects?

1) This is a perfect excuse to meet and interact with your new neighbors! Knock on each of your neighbors' doors (on either side, and the 3 closest across the street), introduce yourself and where you live, say you've never owned a detached home before, and ask about the garbage rules/situation.

2) Go to the garbage collector's web site and look up the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 10:38 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times
Before collection day, where do you HAVE TO put the bins?

Some of my neighbors put it to "A", while others to "B".
LAst week I have put it to "B", but after the pickup they pused it to "A". Maybe suggesting i put it to the wrong place? My left neighbor has been living there for long time (so they should know), but they put it to their "B" location too.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:20 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
I think any of A,B,C are fine. I use B or C (or even to the left of B, partially blocking my driveway on occasion) depending on whether anyone is parked in front of my house. I don't use A because my neighbor's bins are usually there.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:41 PM

240 posts, read 478,137 times
sometimes the garbage truck moves while loading and ends up dropping the bin a few feet further, or indeed on the other side of the driveway

Old 03-18-2015, 11:23 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicydreamt View Post
sometimes the garbage truck moves while loading and ends up dropping the bin a few feet further, or indeed on the other side of the driveway
These days the crews are pressured to do everything really fast. There is a correlation between bins dragged down the street (or even tipped over) and several dog ____ bags being left behind.

The other extremely annoying thing is, the driver is picking up during morning rush hour, and what is normally a jam-free residential street becomes grid locked since the driver will never pull over to let the 25 cars waiting behind him by. I supposed they are timed to the second. What a bunch of BS.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:57 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Before collection day, where do you HAVE TO put the bins?

Some of my neighbors put it to "A", while others to "B".
LAst week I have put it to "B", but after the pickup they pused it to "A". Maybe suggesting i put it to the wrong place? My left neighbor has been living there for long time (so they should know), but they put it to their "B" location too.
I suggest that you ask your neighbors. They probably have years of experience in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose