U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM

6,158 posts, read 13,370,191 times

Advertisements

Ok,

I was wondering which of these commutes might be better? Or put another way how 'bad' are they really?

My first choice would probably be the East Bay area. But I have no idea how nasty that daily commute is.

Although I live in Colorado Springs currently with a great ~30 minute commute on surface streets, I have lived in LA and know grid lock first hand.

Unfortunately the other closer in areas are just too expensive, especially if I want to buy a house eventually.

An exception might be the Lorenzo Valley (eg - Ben Lamond, Boulder Creek, etc...). But those are some windy mtn. roads to deal with daily.

Thanks for your input and/or experiences,

- Derek
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM

711 posts, read 1,692,890 times
All of those commutes are well over an hour, closer to 90 min if traffic isn't flowing smoothly.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:30 PM

5,716 posts, read 15,034,015 times
The windy mountain roads may be better than stop-and-go traffic. It's also very nice up there and I think your money goes a lot further.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
All of those commutes are well over an hour, closer to 90 min if traffic isn't flowing smoothly.
Ouch!!! I was afraid of that.

I was just going off of google maps which show Dublin to SJ:
33.9 mi – about 39 mins
up to 50 mins in traffic

However I know in LA for example it is not so much the distance as it is the intensity of traffic during peak hours.

And I really do need the straight scoop. No sugar coating please! That way I at least have realistic expectations and can plan accordingly.

So if my goal is to commute under an hour I need to:
1. Live closer in.
2. Find a job in the East Bay area (e.g. Pleasanton, Walnut Creek, etc...).
3. Find a telecommute position.
4. Take some form of mass transit - but that seems like it could still exceed the 1 hour mark.

I am sure most of you locals have already gone thru this mental exercise.

Thanks for your insight,

- Derek

Old 01-15-2008, 02:56 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,606,810 times
The commute from Morgan Hill is much better than it used to be. Since they widened 101 to four lanes each way, it flies after Cochrane all the way up to Capitol Expressway, when things abruptly grind to a halt.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:10 PM

10,409 posts, read 18,441,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
So if my goal is to commute under an hour I need to:
1. Live closer in.
2. Find a job in the East Bay area (e.g. Pleasanton, Walnut Creek, etc...).
3. Find a telecommute position.
4. Take some form of mass transit - but that seems like it could still exceed the 1 hour mark.
5. Commute by motorcycle.

With a bike, you can realize the best-case commute times every single day, regardless of traffic, weather, or even accidents, year-round. The reason for this is twofold: You can travel in the HOV (carpool) lanes, and you can lane-split (it's legal in CA). I commuted by motorcycle every day, rain or shine for three years from South San Jose to San Mateo, about 100 miles round trip. I got the bike after 17 previous years of miserable commuting by car to various parts of SV (Palo Alto and Mountain View mostly). But the new job in San Mateo called for drastic measures, so I got the biggest, baddest touring bike made, the BMW K1200LT. Full fairing with electric windshield, heated grips and seat, cruise control, 200 watt surround sound stereo with 6 CD changer, etc, etc. The best part of my day was the commute. I kid you not.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 PM

711 posts, read 1,692,890 times
Mass transit? I'd expect that to double your commute time.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:24 PM

3,700 posts, read 13,591,308 times
The commute to Morgan Hill is probably the best of the options you have given (and don't forget, gas here is $3.50/gal and it will probably be higher this summer). Why not find an apartment close to where you're going to work and skip the commute. After you have been here a while and have gotton a "feel" for the area and the real estate prices, you can move somewhere else if you wish.

Commuting from Ben Lomond, Boulder Creek would be a long commute because of the windy 2-lane roads over the mountains which would be worse during the winter (rainy season).

Old 01-15-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The commute from Morgan Hill is much better than it used to be. Since they widened 101 to four lanes each way, it flies after Cochrane all the way up to Capitol Expressway, when things abruptly grind to a halt.
Well, that sounds a little encouraging, except for the screeching to a halt part.

Maybe that is where you get off and take side streets or alternative routes.

The other alternative which worked really well in LA is just leave *very* early in the AM. The ole' Ben Franklin adage early to bed earlier to rise was the best solution in LA. But unfortunately more people began to discover it.

I would imagine 5:30AM to 6:30AM is going to be better the 7:00-9:00AM.

- Derek

Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,606,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Well, that sounds a little encouraging, except for the screeching to a halt part.

Maybe that is where you get off and take side streets or alternative routes.
Side streets? In San Jose? That's a good one. :P

On the other hand - 85 starts before the Capitol Expressway offramp, and that's an acceptable way to get to many parts of the Silicon Valley. Big-rigs aren't allowed until the merger with 280. On the other other hand, there are timing lights to get onto 85 at the south end during commute hours, and it takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes just to get past them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or