Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:23 AM

7 posts, read 45,035 times

Advertisements

Jeesh, that's a hard one.. Civilization in Patterson? Tracy? Hmmm..... lol. There's just not that much going on around here.. - I live in Tracy so I can say that! What I can tell you about Tracy is that most of the public schools are safe, but they all pretty much suck! And there are only a couple of private schools (with waiting lists, I believe). I don't know about Patterson schools, but I am guessing the same goes for them.
Tracy has plenty of the usual stores- WalMart, Staples, Target, lots of big grocery stores, there's a small mall too (which is where you see everyone you know on the weekends). I don't think there is much in Patterson as far as shopping. I have only gone to Patterson for the BMX track which is pretty decent in a nice park, other than that I don't know anything about it.
I used to live in Livermore and loved it, and most of the schools are good (they are all safe).. But the commute sucks even if there is no traffic - it will get so tiring. But if your child is older - like near middle school age, I'd go with Livermore because of the good school factor there.. How old is your kid? What is he/she into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 10:18 PM

17 posts, read 87,286 times
housing should be real cheap in Patterson, Stockton, Tracy....it's all part of the Real Estate meltdown in the valley. They have gotten hit the worst....I think they are actually the #1 foreclosed region in the entire country!!! All those damn investors drove up the price of housing out there but didn't realize that most people don't want to live there because there are no jobs....well I guess there is at least one job (the one you just got)

Old 03-12-2008, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,238 times
patterson sucks there is lot of crime, very boring town

Old 01-29-2009, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,940 times
There is more in Patterson than you may think.......lol. I have lived here all my life. (30 yrs) In the past 5 years its grown a little "too" big. But everything you would want is within driving distance.....easily.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,211 times
The cost of living is waaaay cheaper in Patterson.
Before you read on, double check your contract to see what pay your job in Patterson gives you otherwise it will be hard to move back to the bay if you move out here, god forbid you lose this job because bay life is pricey.

Ok, Friends heres how Patterson has changed.
When it come to the buying of a home here or signing of a rental, the market is gorgeous.
You do have to do your diligence to get a great deal but with all the housing available. As for new stores we have: Super Walmart, (coming in) Flying J Gas station, (coming in) Express Car Wash, Amazon, Granger, a Multitude of Trendy Boutiques and Salons, a Multitude of Food outlets and Farmers Market for all your needs, the Multitude of Social gatherings (example: Apricot Fiesta, Skate & Ride, Wine and Art Gala) and the Movie Theater between Turlock and Patterson I can safely say that the many of us who stuck it out here have VASTLY improved our community. Schools are greatly improving out here so if you choose to move into Patterson your child(ren) will greatly improve because you'll have more time to spend with them.
Save money on the expense of a sitter or tutor and do it yourself or spend it on gas commuting and then some so your kid can keep up in school.
People in our community have stepped up as the eyes and ears for the police in effort to cut down on crime, neighborhood watch has a few thousand members. We have a new K9 unit and resource officer as part of school staff. The city working with Cal Trans to repave city streets and has repaved parts of the main road (Sperry) and the i5, in fact it looks like they are widening a large portion of road to accommodate more traffic between Tracy and Patterson. I feel like this town is on its way to becoming a respectable city.
Just take into account what you are spending in your rent and see if you can afford to purchase a home.
Be aware that the Newer side of Patterson has Mello Roose tax if you choose to purchase a house, it really varies from house to house but for most people its about $400 a month.
Again do your diligence.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moovin View Post
I second Pleasanton. Perhaps even Livermore. Patterson and Modesto is all culture-death. You will kill yourself if you live anywhere near there. Pleasanton is your best bet for good public schools (don't bother with private unless you're looking looking for religious teachings).
The only way to kill a 'scene' is to not participate.
So if you feel its 'dead' or 'boring' its because you havent done any homework or even bothered to show up to any events or request anything from local promoters.

You want entertainment? theres the State Theater, the American Graffiti Festival that George Lucas sometimes attends or Gallo Center for the Arts live shows or any local events really...
You want drinks and a good time? Theres the Firkin Fox, The Boardroom Lounge and Bar, P. Wexfords Pub and well almost any restaurant really... I think they all have a bar area at least, I mean try happy hour at Galletto Ristorante for some perfectly made martinis. Surlas has amazing food, also Tresettis World Cafe.
My list will and can go on.

There is plenty to do and then some if Patterson or Modesto isnt filling your ticket.

Yes in Modesto a lot of places closed down like Aqua, Copper Rhino, Fat Cat (this one was sold off actually to a church and will become a cafe) but theres also word that the old brewery will become a strip club so the scene is more lively then you think since its constantly evolving in Modesto. Sure you got your tried and true elements but the truth is when you and your friends dont go out these places shut down.

I can also go on about Turlock or even Tracy life but the fact is, if you are super desperate for 'culture' you can drive out to Dublin and hop on the Bart to San Francisco and spend the weekend there at any hotel so you can 'live it up' so really any place you go is where the 'scene' is. Or hey, go to LA and hit up Disney Land or go to Venice Beach. we can split hairs all day about one town or another or you can do your homework and get out there and live the life.

Save your nose cash and hire a tutor.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:34 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenNoodles View Post
The only way to kill a 'scene' is to not participate.
So if you feel its 'dead' or 'boring' its because you havent done any homework or even bothered to show up to any events or request anything from local promoters.

You want entertainment? theres the State Theater, the American Graffiti Festival that George Lucas sometimes attends or Gallo Center for the Arts live shows or any local events really...
You want drinks and a good time? Theres the Firkin Fox, The Boardroom Lounge and Bar, P. Wexfords Pub and well almost any restaurant really... I think they all have a bar area at least, I mean try happy hour at Galletto Ristorante for some perfectly made martinis. Surlas has amazing food, also Tresettis World Cafe.
My list will and can go on.

There is plenty to do and then some if Patterson or Modesto isnt filling your ticket.

Yes in Modesto a lot of places closed down like Aqua, Copper Rhino, Fat Cat (this one was sold off actually to a church and will become a cafe) but theres also word that the old brewery will become a strip club so the scene is more lively then you think since its constantly evolving in Modesto. Sure you got your tried and true elements but the truth is when you and your friends dont go out these places shut down.

I can also go on about Turlock or even Tracy life but the fact is, if you are super desperate for 'culture' you can drive out to Dublin and hop on the Bart to San Francisco and spend the weekend there at any hotel so you can 'live it up' so really any place you go is where the 'scene' is. Or hey, go to LA and hit up Disney Land or go to Venice Beach. we can split hairs all day about one town or another or you can do your homework and get out there and live the life.

Save your nose cash and hire a tutor.

The last post in this thread is almost 8 years old.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:21 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
"The last post in this thread is almost 8 years old."

Yes, some people are so anxious to hear themselves talk that they don't pay attention to the date on ancient threads.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:14 PM

478 posts, read 690,029 times
i remember when people hyped up patterson back in the 2000s. homes were selling for 500K+ then it tanked. if you look at the history of most of the homes there almost every single one you will see was forclosed or short sale. and i dont even think it is even close to breaking even. they are optimistic sellers thinking they can get 400K for their nearly 10 year old home there. patterson was ambitious but it crashed hard. there is nothing there. it is a bedroom community where you have to go to the next biggest city to do or buy anything, heck even work unless you got lucky to get a decent paying job within the city, which is required if you stuck around and got hit purchasing a home there for 400K+ you would have to make a decent salary in town for that--which is far and few given the small population of the city (less high paying jobs for gov, law, medical, type of jobs) unless you have to commute to the bay area. the market there seems a bit more realistic with new and newish homes in the 300s, but for many who bought in 2000 and stuck around because they couldn't bare hurt their pride to short sale or forclose they are still stuck with a home that they bought for nearly 400-500K and it only is worth 300 at the moment.

patterson is definitely a city--err a town where you buy there if you find a decent job in the city. with barely 20,000 population that will be difficult. it isnt a city close enough to the bay area to commute daily for work--though im sure people do. but it is such a small city that it can't sustain itself for amenities and it's own decent employment for the population. tracy is 30 minute drive just to see any notable franchise stores.

thus why it is risky to buy in places like patterson. the new/newish and relatively cheaper housing fools a lot of people. it's less of a risk purchasing in a bigger city further, or smaller town like this closer to a major market of employment. people who buy in patterson from the bay area really seem to commit either that this city will grow into something big, or accept that they do not mind the grueling commute to still work in the bay area. it is a horrible idea to think you want to move out of the bay area, but are still relying on employment from it. and if you aren't again, with the small city infrastructure and just small nature of patterson in general you won't find employment here except for small wages. merced, stockton, fresno, bakersfield, modesto, visalia, etc.. real developed central valley cities with populations anywhere from 100-600K have more opportunity to work where you live. and with the greater population offers more amenities one would be more acquainted and use to esp from moving from a city from the bay area.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 953 times
I recently purchased a new D.R. Horton home (2,981 square feet) in Diablo Grande for $340K. It usually takes me an hour and a half (two hours if traffic is really bad) to get to my job in Santa Clara. I like coming home to the peace and quiet, away from the hustle and bustle of the Silicon Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose