Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM

104 posts, read 95,923 times

Advertisements

First off I relocated to my parents birthplace in Michigan about 18 years ago. I met and married dh in Michigan and lost him in 2012. I am now in a small town in Michigan and just recently visited the Bay Area a week ago. Its been 18 years since I was last there. I graduated high school from Independence High. I also lived 4 years in Southern Cal Inland Empire.

What I miss most is the healthy vibe of the area. Most people are hip to health and the restaurants reflect that with the juice bars and variety of healthy restaurants. I miss the sprout sandwiches with avocado and juicy authentic burritos. I also miss the authentic Japanese tempura, barbecue and steamed rice.
Last I also miss the local It's It's Ice Cream that is only native to Northern Cal. I miss University avenue which has changed so much since I worked at Union Bank and First Interstate. I miss the sticky chewy chocolate cones and downtown flower shop.

Third, miss the variety of cultures. I Michigan the majority is just AA and Caucasian which is fine but a variety of cultures bring a variety of values and experiences to explore.

However, I don't miss the wall to wall traffic and parking , water shortage and astronomical rents and mortgage which is why I am still in Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:43 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstarr View Post
First off I relocated to my parents birthplace in Michigan about 18 years ago. I met and married dh in Michigan and lost him in 2012. I am now in a small town in Michigan and just recently visited the Bay Area a week ago. Its been 18 years since I was last there. I graduated high school from Independence High. I also lived 4 years in Southern Cal Inland Empire.

What I miss most is the healthy vibe of the area. Most people are hip to health and the restaurants reflect that with the juice bars and variety of healthy restaurants. I miss the sprout sandwiches with avocado and juicy authentic burritos. I also miss the authentic Japanese tempura, barbecue and steamed rice.
Last I also miss the local It's It's Ice Cream that is only native to Northern Cal. I miss University avenue which has changed so much since I worked at Union Bank and First Interstate. I miss the sticky chewy chocolate cones and downtown flower shop.

Third, miss the variety of cultures. I Michigan the majority is just AA and Caucasian which is fine but a variety of cultures bring a variety of values and experiences to explore.

However, I don't miss the wall to wall traffic and parking , water shortage and astronomical rents and mortgage which is why I am still in Michigan.
We hear similar stories all the time. If the cost of living here were equal to or only a little more than what you have in Michigan, you'd probably be back in a heartbeat. But the COL makes life very difficult for many who live here. Even those who solidly fit into the upper middle class income group feel the stress created by the high rents and home prices.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:22 PM

134 posts, read 254,931 times
Quote:
In the bay area AA and Caucasian are minority.

Last edited by vadaseri; 04-25-2015 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 05:14 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Quote:

What about San Diego? Very cosmopolitan, health conscious, great weather.

Or someplace like San Luis Obispo which is a college town, but kind of combines the small town feel you're acclimated to, and the variety and liveliness you are nostalgic for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose