Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 03:53 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times

Advertisements

I want to build a 1 foot no-mortar retaining wall and a pavement area of concrete blocks from home depot. This is for my backyard, DIY improvement project. I will not hire a contractor or any workers for this.
I was told that I need a permit first. I searched the internet and found this form:
http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1793
But the process is not clear.
Where and how do I submit it? Mail, in person?
How do I pay the permit fee?
What plans do I need create and submit in what format? - I only made paper/pencil sketches, I didnt hire an architect to draw it up for me. Do I have to?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 08:43 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
You don't need a permit for a retaining wall up to four feet high unless it is holding back sloped earth. This information is available online.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
You don't need a permit for a retaining wall up to four feet high unless it is holding back sloped earth. This information is available online.
I cannot find this 4feet regulation online. At least not with a reference to San Jose. I found one for Folsom, but I dont live in Folsom.

How about placing concrete stepstones around the house as a walkway. permit for that?

i need a reference to the code applicable in san jose.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:19 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,462,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I cannot find this 4feet regulation online. At least not with a reference to San Jose. I found one for Folsom, but I dont live in Folsom.

How about placing concrete stepstones around the house as a walkway. permit for that?

i need a reference to the code applicable in san jose.
https://www.municode.com/library/ca/...4.02.120BUPEEX

title 24, Chapter 2, Paragraph 120

Quote:
A building permit shall not be required for the following:
One-story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (11.15 m2).
Fences not over seven feet (2,134 mm) high.
Oil derricks.
Nonfixed and movable fixtures cases, racks, counters and partitions not over five feet nine inches (1,753 mm) high.
Retaining walls which are not over four feet (1,219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A liquids.

Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed five thousand gallons (18,925 liters) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed two to one.
Platforms, walks and driveways not more than thirty inches (762 mm) above grade and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.
Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
Window awnings, in Group R-3 and U occupancies, supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than fifty-four inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R, Division 3 occupancy in which the pool walls are entirely above the adjacent grade and if the capacity does not exceed five thousand gallons (18,925 liters).
Replacement, repair or overlay of less than twenty-five percent of an existing roof within any twelve-month period.
Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:04 PM

thank you.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:47 PM

865 posts, read 1,826,917 times
I'm sorry, what? We can build an oil derrick in our yards without a permit!?

*headshake*

Old 04-26-2015, 09:48 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
I'm sorry, what? We can build an oil derrick in our yards without a permit!?

*headshake*
Of course, zoning laws also apply, and you probably wouldn't be allowed to build one at all unless you are on some sort of rural property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: