Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:54 AM

8 posts, read 9,908 times

Advertisements

Relocating from Wash DC metro with kids age 14, 12, 2, 1. Even though we're leaving one of the most expensive housing areas, the prices in Northern California are eye-popping! Job in Mountain View. Looking to commute 45 minutes or less if possible. Will rent for first year (max $3500) but want to be in community where we will eventually purchase up to $650k for 3-4br home. We are used to bona fide suburbs but if we can find more of a walk-able community that's a bonus. Academically challenging high schools, kids sports programs, friendly, active community are most important features. Wishful thinking?? i hope not! Any suggestions for communities that might fit the criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 10:20 AM

169 posts, read 232,692 times
Nothing to say when you are leaving one of the most expensive housing area to the MOST expensive housing area.
The median house price in San Jose now is $900,000. So I really don't know what you can buy a home for $650K in San Jose.

Metro Home Prices Maintain Steady Growth in First Quarter of 2015 | PressReleasePoint

Old 05-18-2015, 11:03 AM

Understood. Can likely go higher but stepping outside of my comfort zone! Perhaps easier to be more general - looking for a middle/upper-class community that meets the characteristics described above, with a reasonable commute (<45-60minutes) to Mountain View. Good public school system (c//www.city-data.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=39662441halle nging, diverse, supportive/engaged community)

Old 05-18-2015, 11:31 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by res0113 View Post
Understood. Can likely go higher but stepping outside of my comfort zone! Perhaps easier to be more general - looking for a middle/upper-class community that meets the characteristics described above, with a reasonable commute (<45-60minutes) to Mountain View. Good public school system (c//www.city-data.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=39662441halle nging, diverse, supportive/engaged community)
Sorry, but unless the real estate market crashes severely in the near future, you won't find a house based on what you're describing. Based on your criteria, expect to spend at least $750k+ to get your foot in the door in a neighborhood like that. San Jose is the biggest city in the region and has the largest supply of housing. Compared to some of the neighboring upscale cities/towns, many parts of San Jose would be considered a bargain...but you'd still be looking to spend about $750k at least to get into a middle to upper class neighborhood with good schools.

If you're looking for a strong sense of community and walkability in San Jose, you'd mainly be focusing on older more established areas like Willow Glen, Rose Garden or Naglee Park. Your budget makes that impossible though. Houses in those areas typically start around $900k and can go much higher...and these areas don't even have the best schools in San Jose.

FYI, the best schools in and around San Jose are typically found in Almaden Valley (San Jose), West San Jose, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Los Altos/Los Altos Hills and Palo Alto. All of these areas are very expensive. Directly northeast of San Jose are Milpitas and Fremont, both of which also have good to very good schools. Although these cities are cheaper than the others I mentioned, $650k still won't get you much. You definitely won't be in an upper class neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:58 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
The most budget friendly locations for your requirements would be West San Jose and Almaden Valley, but you'll need to just about double your housing budget if you want an SFH. You might want to rethink your move if that's not within your budget.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:08 PM

Ok... rental market, here we come! Community/lifestyle matters more than the house itself. Budget $4k/mo.

I appreciate the honesty - as painful as it may be to hear!

Old 05-18-2015, 01:37 PM

238 posts, read 302,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by res0113 View Post
Ok... rental market, here we come! Community/lifestyle matters more than the house itself. Budget $4k/mo.

I appreciate the honesty - as painful as it may be to hear!
you have come to the correct realization. but i'm a little confused bc you say job is in mountain view but you are moving to san jose (maybe just using that as a relative area?). there are no towns that fit your criteria where you could buy for that price within a 45 min commute of mountain view.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:50 PM

sorry, yes... I was using San Jose in a general sense as opposed to the SFO area. Looking for any town within a reasonable commute of Mountain View.
This thread has been pretty eye-opening, I must admit! I knew the area was expensive but didn't realize it was so difficult for a family making ~$275k/yr to find a pleasant, suitable neighborhood without spending 40% of our income on rent!
Open to any and all ideas! How about a 75 minute commute?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
The easiest thing to do is put your criteria into Craigslist.

Here's a search of all of South Bay Area (includes Santa Clara, San Jose, Willow Glen, etc.):

I put in max $4,000 and 3 bedrooms:

SF bay area apartments / housing rentals - craigslist

Here's the same search for the peninsula (Mountain View, Palo Alto, etc.):

SF bay area apartments / housing rentals - craigslist

Here are results using the above, for the entire SF Bay Area:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/a...000&bedrooms=3

See what looks good, then look here at schools:

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Then, use Google maps to see how far the commute would be. Then, look at Google maps during your actual commute times, to see how bad the traffic is, using the traffic feature.

I think people just need to see for themselves what they can get. It's easy to think we must not know what we're talking about, or the "right" person hasn't responded yet. So, see what you can see on the above links, then come back and ask specifics once you have poured yourself a stiff one :-)

Old 05-19-2015, 08:45 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
An alternative for you to consider: send your kids to private school. Many people find they cannot afford to live in the public school district they want, so they live where they can and then send their kids to private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose