Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 01:46 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,886 times

Advertisements

Hey there moving from NC, single guy, with a job offer of ~90k. Any suggestions on where might be a good place to live? I'm familiar with the area but am curious what area might be good to rent an apartment for someone my age? I prefer urban environments if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 10:37 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,041,770 times
You didn't give a ton of information to give great responses. If you're looking for a more urban environment around San Jose though, you'll want to focus anywhere around the downtown SJ area. San Jose overall is mostly suburban in nature. I'd mainly look in downtown SJ itself along with areas like The Alameda and Japantown, which are close to downtown.

You won't find anything in SJ that matches an urban setting like San Francisco, but downtown SJ has actually improved a lot over recent years. I'm always pleasantly surprised whenever I hang out there these days.

If you can tolerate the stuck-up douche factor of Santana Row, that could be another option. People tend to either love or hate SR. Personally, I'd prefer a neighborhood in or around downtown SJ if I wanted a more urban environment.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:11 PM

44 posts, read 58,664 times
You didn't mention your age...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
an apartment for someone my age? ...

Old 05-27-2015, 01:15 PM

Sorry, mid-20s

Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 PM

865 posts, read 1,828,398 times
That all depends upon what a guy your age is looking for in a neighborhood.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
That all depends upon what a guy your age is looking for in a neighborhood.
First and foremost, an area affordable on a 90k salary (I know how expensive the area is, parents live there). Access to bus service downtown if I want to grab a drink and see some jazz or something would be a plus. And maybe an area with a bunch of other younger professionals.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:56 AM

169 posts, read 232,916 times
But where is the job at? and what is your commuter?

Old 05-28-2015, 11:20 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,648 times
Basically, to help you out we're gonna need some basic information, some of which you've already provided.
  • What're you looking for in a neighborhood (activities, built form, demographics, etc.)?
  • What's your price point?
  • What location do you need to be near (for work, school, etc.)?
  • How close (miles our time spent) do you want to live to work? To other activities?
  • Preferred transportation mode?

Then we can tell you about prices, crime, commutes, etc. from the answers you provide.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanienguyen View Post
But where is the job at? and what is your commuter?
Job is in San Jose near downtown. I'd like to live within 10 miles of my work as well. Would studios/1 bedrooms for 2k or less a month be doable in a reasonably safe area?

Old 05-28-2015, 01:09 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,297 times
There are walkable neighborhoods in San Jose and vicinity that go beyond downtown, but downtown San Jose is basically the only urban environment in the South Bay.

I would look to be near downtown then, really depends on your tradeoffs, these days you would have to do older properties downtown, and probably studios for less than 2k. You can get 1bds the further north, east or south you go, and some parts on the west, the areas can look sketchy, but are generally safe. The Alameda area is nice, but not really any cheaper. So I would honestly look within a mile of downtown if I were you.

So beyond downtown, but close somewhat are the Alameda, Midtown (which is not that urban), Japantown (nice little walkable neighborhood, only 1 mile from downtown), and Willow Glen (nice little walkable neighborhood, only 2 miles from downtown)

If you work near downtown, I wouldn't really bother looking at other cities, the next closest urban area is Oakland, and San Francisco. And walkable areas beyond SJ are not that big, basically the main street of the towns that existed there for a long time. (Except that Santa Clara demolished theirs) Campbell and Los Gatos will be within driving distance, but really not urban, as I said Main Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose