Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 10:32 PM

134 posts, read 255,171 times

Advertisements

I suggest you skip sightseeing and focus on neighborhoods. You will have plenty of time to check out SF after you move to bay area. Plan and spend your time wisely. You can rent a nice 1600 sq.ft house in Cupertino for $5000 (which is within your budget). Stay close to work, you'll thank me later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 10:51 PM

44 posts, read 58,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local123 View Post
This is inaccurate information. There are several neighborhoods in San Jose that are more expensive than Santa Clara including Cambrian and Willow Glen. I get tired of saying this but SJ is a big city with a lot if nice areas. I personally would not choose Santa Clara or Sunnyvale over SJ. Start looking at price per sq ft people. Right now Cambrian is $648/sf and Santa Clara is $607/sf. You can't compare a city with over a million people with a town of 148,000 people. It makes no sense.
I agree. SJ is wider than people imagine. If the job is in Cupertino, they could even live in West San Jose (the area near 85 Degree Bakery that goes to Lynbrook) and they'd be super close to work and could pay around $900/sf.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,476 times
San Jose is a dump.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:10 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
San Jose is a dump.
Oh, Bobby.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:14 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local123 View Post
This is inaccurate information. There are several neighborhoods in San Jose that are more expensive than Santa Clara including Cambrian and Willow Glen. I get tired of saying this but SJ is a big city with a lot if nice areas. I personally would not choose Santa Clara or Sunnyvale over SJ. Start looking at price per sq ft people. Right now Cambrian is $648/sf and Santa Clara is $607/sf. You can't compare a city with over a million people with a town of 148,000 people. It makes no sense.
I totally agree. It's amazing how much "anti-San Jose" sentiment there is in this San Jose forum. Everybody always seems to suggest every city in the South Bay except San Jose itself. The nicest neighborhoods of San Jose are easily nicer than the nicest neighborhoods of cities like Sunnyvale and Santa Clara. I'd also say that the nicest neighborhoods in San Jose are on par with many of the surrounding upscale cities/towns.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:23 AM

214 posts, read 286,415 times
If you can do only one "touristy" thing with your husband....make it the drive thru Big Sur. Breathtaking! Do a tiny bit of online research for a manageable hike or two and take good shoes so you can see what lies off the main road.

Other options for a workable road trip: North along the coast to Stinson Beach, Point Reyes, and Bodega Bay. (But IMO Big Sur is more beautiful).

Closer to San Jose/Cupertino you can go to Monterey/Carmel and take the 17-Mile Drive for some beautiful beach pictures and a meal at Pebble Beach at the end. (Saturday traffic heading toward Monterey can be heavy, especially if there is any kind of festival event going on.) If it's just the 2 of you, save the aquarium for a time the kids are with you and a little older.

In SF you can do "foodie" tours that look like a lot of fun and would be a good "date" activity. And did you know you can walk across the Golden Gate bridge?

As for house hunting, it's pricey and complicated. Many people rent. The recommendation above to look at $/sq foot is an excellent one - and don't even think of comparing that price to the midwest. It's pretty crazy by comparison. Coming from a distance, I'd definitely connect with a solid realtor to help navigate your first "look-see" trip.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:39 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhermes View Post
I'm aware, but this is not helpful.

I guess I have two motivations: 1, I need to check out the area for buying a house and raising a family. 2, I'm thinking, hey, Husband and I get four days' free vacation and want to do/see something touristy. Let's take advantage of it!!

Perhaps I'm biting off more than I can chew. To some of your points, perhaps doing touristy things should wait until we move. If we move. And with that big if, I wonder if it pays to do the touristy thing during this trip in the event that we don't take the job.

I have absolutely NO understanding of surrounding areas, distance, etc., so the latter posters have helped regarding distance and recommendations with driving and taking the highways--many thanks. I think I need to put "Milwaukee" where SF is and see how far cities are in relation to cities outside of Milwaukee.

I've experienced Chicago traffic before, but I've never been to CA. I get the feeling (even before you all said anything) that it's hairy.

And I have no clue what our budget would be as it relates to house-hunting. Right now we're in a 2200 sq. ft. 4 bed/2.5 bath house and we pay $1700 a month. I'm looking at the possibility of renting a house two-thirds that size in the Sunnyvale/Mountain View/Cupertino area for three times the price. House renting seems to be a bigger thing there than in Milwaukee.

Also...what's with all the foreclosures and houses up for auction?? Is there something wonky going on that I should know about?

Thanks again for all your help! And for dealing with my random questions!
Go into Google maps and model some commutes (also model some "fun" drives).

Old 07-17-2015, 02:03 PM

238 posts, read 302,614 times
i moved back to SF from WI last year. i had previously lived in SF and commuted to santa clara a few days a week so while i had a general feel of the area i was not that familiar with the many towns amenities or differences that i passed along my drive. i suggest you take no more than 1 day to see some sights and devote the rest of the time to exploring the communities around the potential new job. you should be making appointments with realtors to get into houses in your budget or looking into rental properties. if this is your only opportunity before accepting the job this should be your highest priority rather than signtseeing, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose