Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 05:54 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
And this is why San Jose and Oakland are not taken seriously. Even their residents defer to SF. And in the case of San Jose, it's even worse, as SF is a much smaller city than us.

I don't see Baltimore defering to DC, even though they're only an hour away and Baltimore is much smaller than DC. It's time we in San Jose be proud of our city and stop revering our neighbor.

While all these folks in SJ and Oakland are dropping their pants for SF, SF residents continuously look down on us. Why are we giving them their due when all they do is denigrate our cities?

Our mentalities and attitudes need to change. And it starts with referring to SF as "SF" instead of "The Sh!tty".

We can do it, San Joseans!
Trying to change the nomenclature is an uphill battle. San Jose will have to feel more citylike before it becomes a real city. That means more density, better transit, etc. Same deal with Oakland. Oakland, like so many CA cities fights new housing tooth and nail and then wrings its hands about the plight of the poor and middle class, when they should be densifying and adding a lot more population than they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 06:24 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
- Comfort. I'm used to living in smaller cities and burbs, I'm not a big partier, and I feel like the city is more activity, noise and stress than I need. I like working in the city but being able to go home to relax in quiet at the end of the day. I also like being able to easily drive to places outside of my immediate neighborhood; I feel like city living is great for walkability to places nearby, but almost prohibitive for expanding horizons outside of the walkable area.
If you plan on driving to work San Mateo is a great choice. Caltrain is the problem with San Mateo or Redwood City. Suppose you work a little late and just barely miss the 6:33 pm train. You have to wait until 7:30 pm to get another train to San Mateo. But you could get a train to Redwood City at 6:56 pm. Suppose you want to have a nice dinner in SF after work. You get back to the Caltrain station at 8:41 pm and just miss the 8:40 pm train. Bring a book to read since you will be waiting until 9:40 pm for the next train going south.

Weekday Timetable

I recommend Plan C - live in one of the nice apartment complexes by Tanforan Mall in San Bruno and take Bart to work. Its a 25 minute ride on Bart from San Bruno Bart to Powell St. in downtown SF. The caveat with this plan is possible airport noise in San Bruno.

I would consider Plan D - live in a place like the Avalon apartments right next to Union City Bart. One can get a luxury apartment there for ~$2300/month which is probably about $600 cheaper than Avalon San Bruno. Its a 41 minute ride to Embacadero Station from Union City. Union City is also a closer drive to the South Bay for weekend activites with your friends. The problem with this Bart line is that the train is very crowded at rush hour.

https://www.bart.gov/schedules/byline

Old 09-28-2015, 08:16 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Trying to change the nomenclature is an uphill battle. San Jose will have to feel more citylike before it becomes a real city. That means more density, better transit, etc. Same deal with Oakland. Oakland, like so many CA cities fights new housing tooth and nail and then wrings its hands about the plight of the poor and middle class, when they should be densifying and adding a lot more population so than they are.
So mysty, San Jose is a "fake city"? Please elaborate on the "fakeness". I truly did not expect this perception of San Jose from you, but will be interesting to hear your view.

As to the housing issue: we all know San Jose has a bad job-to-housing ratio. It is imperative we increase the job numbers first before talking about housing. Adding housing without adding jobs leads to poor city services, and that would be irresponsible.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:28 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn63 View Post
Fly down for a weekend, explore the Peninsula and let us know how it goes.
That's my plan, in the next month or two. Like I said, I've spent a lot of time down there - in San Jose and SF proper mostly, with a spattering of East Bay - but never with commuting in mind before. Visiting is a little different from the day to day reality, so I wanted an honest take.

I have a friend who commutes daily from San Jose, but he works in a different part of SF than I'd be headed to, and that apparently makes a bit of a difference with the Caltrain. An hour or so commute each way doesn't freak me out - that is a regular occurrence in Seattle, and in fact it usually takes me longer than that each way home-to-office now. San Jose would certainly give me more - and slightly cheaper - housing options from what I can tell...just don't know if the cost savings on rent would make up for the lost sanity in my commute?

Old 09-28-2015, 08:44 PM

150 posts, read 186,540 times
Quote:
...just don't know if the cost savings on rent would make up for the lost sanity in my commute?
This is a really hard question to answer for somebody else.

For me personally at this stage in my life, it's important to live as close to work as I can possibly afford. Mostly because I have young children at home and time spent commuting is time away from them above and beyond the regular workday.

But 15 years ago, before I had kids, I gladly commuted 65 miles each way every single day. At that point, the cost savings were worth more to me than the convenience of getting home earlier.

And for me, this has all always depended on the availability of train service. I didn't mind waiting for a train as long as I'd get one eventually. But having to drive a long distance with traffic....that was a whole other thing, and I hated it.

Other people, though, are okay with long drives in order to save housing money, and prefer having the flexibility to leave on their schedule rather than the train's schedule. Other people are never okay with a long commute, period. Other people would never consider living in a very urban place. Other people hate the suburbs above all.

So figure out what's most important to you. That will make your decision in the end. But if you're asking is it, in general, feasible and tolerable to live somewhere else and commute to SF? Yes, absolutely - a ton of people do it.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:56 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Weather actually has nothing to do with the potential move. I'll miss the rain and occasional snow...the four seasons. And Seattle is a truly beautiful place. Not that northern Calif. isn't...but it's a different kind of beauty.

So...Redwood City and San Mateo...which is the nicer of the two? I get the impression Redwood City is kinda office park-bland wasteland? Does San Mateo have any sort of downtown? Are both places safe for a single female - and yes, living alone?
Redwood City is definitely not office park bland. It runs the gamut.. you've got blue collar areas with heavy Hispanic influence all the way up to multi-million dollar spreads bordering Woodside. The downtown area has seen a lot of recent development and has shaken off its bad reputation. It's somewhat a similar story to San Mateo except that they have had their downtown firmly established for a long time, as well as the Hillsdale mall which flanks its major train station.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:45 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,478 times
I would definitely live as close to work as you safely can. See your friends in your off time. If you don't want to be in "The City" for other reasons, I agree with Redwood City, San Mateo. Daly City isn't very nice, not sure about the others. Check out www.crimereports.com.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:36 AM

113 posts, read 133,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
I'm not sure what do you mean by "the city"? Do you mean New York City? That's the only universal acceptance of "The City" moniker that I have heard used throughout the US.

We have three cities in the Bay Area: San Jose, Oakland, and San Francisco, which one are you referring to? I'm going to assume that you mean the City of San Francisco since your title says so.

If that's the case, then yes, it is crazy. Live somewhere close to work. Make new friends around where you live. I'd look into South SF or Daly City instead, even San Mateo or San Bruno. The furthest I would go is to the mid peninsula area, Mountain View or Sunnyvale would be the furthest, and even then it's a stretch.
Everyone knows SF is THE CITY. The future is literally being created here in the Bay. You can't say that for New York City. It's only purpose is to finance the risk, intellect, exuberance, weirdness, innovation and creativity of SF, Oakland, SV, surrounding areas. And this function is quickly being disrupted by fin-tech, so basically NYC is a cold relic from last century full of uptight type As adding no real value to society besides a bank account for the genius of The Bay. THE CITY of San Francisco is, of course, the heart and soul of this region.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:11 AM

209 posts, read 257,506 times
Why not pacifica?!! Lol

Old 10-02-2015, 09:58 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,481 times
I would recommend Fremont, it might be a little more expensive than San Jose, but it is still less expensive than the peninsula, the commute by BART from Fremont to Market St in SF is probably about 45 mins, on Caltrain unless OP works near the ball park they have another 15-20 mins walking or taking Muni. Granted this is speculating on where OP works in SF, but it makes a big difference, if OP works near the ballpark or Mission Bay then Caltrain is more convenient than BART, and I would suggest Redwood City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose