Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 04:27 PM

352 posts, read 432,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshock View Post
IMO focusing on live music will make a huge difference. I actually highly doubt traditional retail (e.g. clothing stores) will be a big draw here for a long time.
you're onto something.

I think one of the things that DTSJ has gotten right is it's Sub Zero Fest. There are some tired vendors, but overall the event is fresh and fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 04:37 PM

2,552 posts, read 2,452,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
agreed. but the thought about that area getting even more populated is frightening.
Frightening how? Many of the frightening issues downtown are from a lack of people, of eyes and activity.

Anyway, the development boom is getting the city to focus on the dark corners where people fear to tread after dark, like the underpasses and the trail. First undercrossings to bat were San Fernando and Santa Clara. Next will be Auzerais from the sound of it, and it has sounded like some folks want to do something at W St. John. That leaves Park and W San Carlos. Bring on the light and art!

Old 12-21-2015, 04:57 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,308,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
I was at San Pedro Sq 2 nights ago, Thursday. It was very alive, full of young people. Places were jammed. That is a nucleus of an early stage real downtown entertainment scene, no doubt at all. And there was no game happening nearby.
The San Pedro Sq. / Santa Clara St. nexus is our go-to for nights in DTSJ.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:30 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,983,732 times
Quote:
agreed. but the thought about that area getting even more populated is frightening.
Tell me about it. If I don't park in front of my building right after work, I will have to park 2 blocks down the street.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:33 PM

209 posts, read 256,318 times
For any adventurous spirits, Little Saigon can be mild fun. West of Story and McLaughlin are some big indoor malls with local shops.

Low rent fun, I guess.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:22 AM

352 posts, read 432,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedroppings View Post
For any adventurous spirits, Little Saigon can be mild fun. West of Story and McLaughlin are some big indoor malls with local shops.
South/East San Jose has best south east asian (and some good mexican) food hands down. honestly, i'd rather have a home cooked vietnamese meal (or some Birria de chivo) than anything down town has to offer (except for maybe oxtail stew with collards and plaintains at back-a-yard).

Old 12-22-2015, 12:19 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,536,868 times
Quote:
South/East San Jose has best south east asian (and some good mexican) food hands down. honestly, i'd rather have a home cooked vietnamese meal (or some Birria de chivo) than anything down town has to offer (except for maybe oxtail stew with collards and plaintains at back-a-yard).
SE Asian yes (specifically Vietnamese), but I’ve found the Mexican food in S/ESSJ to be underwhelming despite that area's large Latino population. For Mexican, my favorites are some of the spots just off downtown (5 Spot, Taqueria Cali, and Cuagamas on S 1st...and north of DT, La Corona in Japantown.) I also love La Vic’s tacos and orange sauce, but will concede that it’s a completely different category than the other ones I listed.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:14 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,308,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedroppings View Post

Low rent fun, I guess.
^

This.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:12 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,289,909 times
Quote:
I remember Back-A-Yard was and is in Menlo Park, on Willow Road, near 101. When did they open up a San Jose location?

Old 12-23-2015, 07:55 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,545,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I remember Back-A-Yard was and is in Menlo Park, on Willow Road, near 101. When did they open up a San Jose location?
Back-A-Yard is on Market St., they opened that location sometime in 3 years ago. You should come to downtown sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose