Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2015, 01:11 AM

1 posts, read 933 times

Advertisements

I would bet big that in 20 or even 10 years, San Jose looks a lot more socially vibrant with much more entertainment. Big players are placing bets now. Apple, for example, will be building big in the city. There is a lot of mixed use dense development planned in the downtown areas, like North SJ, Diridon area, etc. There will be more development in the Santana Row area as welll - the row might feel like a "real" city neighborhood in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 01:29 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Because in reality it isn't a big city. It's just "big" because it annexed a huge area. It's really 20 or so suburbs. The downtown is smaller and less vibrant than some cities of 100k.

The "big city" is 50 miles north.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:32 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Similarly, there are almost no really vibrant areas within 50 miles of NYC
That definitely isn't true. Certain suburbs of NYC, like Stamford, or White Plains, or Norwalk, have much more vibrant cores than San Jose. There are probably like 50+ NYC suburbs with sizable, vibrant town centers (not just a main street).

Old 12-31-2015, 03:21 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times
Bigfork, Montana has a more art galleries than downtown San Jose... lol...

Old 12-31-2015, 04:11 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Gray View Post
This is as much a historical question as it is an urban cultural one. How did SJ come to be so big, yet so boring compared to other major cities? Its population dwarfs San Francisco's. Are there any other major cities (population-wise) in the U.S. that are comparably boring with San Jose?
It's amazing to me how we never explored the possibility of other equally "boring" major cities.

Perhaps there aren't any; perhaps what the OP describes as boring IS, indeed, San Jose's vibe.

I was fine with what I felt and saw the few times I have been there; that Target on the east side was a zoo, but....

We need to explore different flavors of "boring".

Old 12-31-2015, 08:42 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times
probably because people are too busy ekeing out a living to have *fun*.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Because in reality it isn't a big city. It's just "big" because it annexed a huge area. It's really 20 or so suburbs. The downtown is smaller and less vibrant than some cities of 100k.

The "big city" is 50 miles north.
Cool story bro Too bad. It is. Who cares if it got big because it annexed a huge area. It did it. And it's big. The reality is that it's 180 square miles and 1 million people. It's big. You just have to come to term with those facts

Old 12-31-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Bigfork, Montana has a more art galleries than downtown San Jose... lol...
All their galleries combined can fit into my bathroom

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; 12-31-2015 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-31-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by givayt View Post
I would bet big that in 20 or even 10 years, San Jose looks a lot more socially vibrant with much more entertainment. Big players are placing bets now. Apple, for example, will be building big in the city. There is a lot of mixed use dense development planned in the downtown areas, like North SJ, Diridon area, etc. There will be more development in the Santana Row area as welll - the row might feel like a "real" city neighborhood in time.
Oh definitely. The fact that the city is no longer permitting low-density housing for the past 10 years is a great step forward. The Row area is going to need more office space and removal of all the used car dealers. Hopefully at some point we can deem an LRT line possible from Convention Center to the Row. I mean, we ran an LRT line down to Almaden and to me that was an absolute waste of money.

At the end of the day, as more and more people crowd into San Jose, it will transform itself by necessity. Many of the old guards with small-town mentality will die out, and the newer, more urban-minded San Jose people will eventually take over and bring this city to great heights

San Jose folks! Have faith! Our time is yet to come, and that's the beauty of living here. You're seeing the start of something big and good unfolding before our eyes within the next 10-20 years

Old 12-31-2015, 01:25 PM

536 posts, read 638,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
No they don't bro, not even close. And 3 blocks is no big deal. What matters is what's going on in that 3 blocks. Peace.
Have you actually been to all of these 3? I have, as well as Santana Row. Santana Row is no match for the SouthPark area of Charlotte because it has 4 mixed-use developments within walking distance from one another on top of the SouthPark Mall. Birkdale Village is also larger than Santana Row, and Ayrsley alone is about the same size.

I took a day trip to SJ from SF because I was really interested in seeing it, so I'm not biased against SJ. I was just disappointed in what I saw. I did like SJSU's campus though. Charlotte has pretty much everything San Jose has (it has a few things SJ doesn't have and SJ has a few things CLT doesn't have), yet it is much, much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose