Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 2,722 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some recent input about the area. We are looking at condos/townhomes in the area to purchase. I know the area wasn't so good years back but unsure about it now. I currently live in south San Jose, Oakridge area. How does this area compare crime wise? I have a toddler and am hoping to raise her in a decent area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 04:51 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,288,527 times
Violent crime is not a worry. Burglary is a real concern, though.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:36 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,845,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Violent crime is not a worry. Burglary is a real concern, though.
2nd this. Don't worry about violent crime, that area is not really known for that. The pocket around Bagpipe Way is probably the worst pocket of the neighborhood, otherwise, it's pretty safe. But saying worst is a misnomer, it's still quite safe. The area towards Nieman is better.

Your kids (if you have them) will have access to easily one of the top 5 neighborhood parks of the South Bay: Brigadoon Park Take your kids there and let them discover the reason

Remember to bring cardboards with you, or else your kids will come back with torn pants.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:55 PM

The places we are looking at are off Daniel Maloney almost to Nieman on the same side of the street as the schools and Brigadoon park.

I know a little about the area where Bag Pipe Way is, I had a few friends that lived in there when I was a teenager, but that was around 15 years ago. And it wasn't a good area then. I think San Jose in general has home burglary issues in general so I guess I can't really judge an area for that. It's a common issue especially with the rising cost of living here.

Thanks for your input guys.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:22 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,048,141 times
It sounds like you know what you're getting into. We rented near Aborn for 3 years recently and it wasn't a nice experience, which is partially because of the living conditions we had to put up with. There definitely was crime going on, though, petty and otherwise. I had a lot of drug deals going on at the corner outside my window and when gunshots rang out followed by cars chasing each other off their turf.. that was enough for me to get out of what seemed like a good deal.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,845,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
It sounds like you know what you're getting into. We rented near Aborn for 3 years recently and it wasn't a nice experience, which is partially because of the living conditions we had to put up with. There definitely was crime going on, though, petty and otherwise. I had a lot of drug deals going on at the corner outside my window and when gunshots rang out followed by cars chasing each other off their turf.. that was enough for me to get out of what seemed like a good deal.
Which side of Aborn were you renting at? The side by Capitol towards 101 or the side going up Evergreen?

Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I thought that was more of an issue on the other side of Capitol exp. Sorry you had that experience there. One place we are looking at seems pretty quiet inside the complex, but I've only gone mid day on weekends. I had asked one neighbor in the townhouse complex I saw outside what he thought of the area and said its quiet, low crime and he and his mom had lived there around 20 years. But I also think "ghetto" and areas are subjective to what people are used to.

I just want to know that it's a decent area to raise my kid in at least for the short term of 5-10 years. Hoping our first purchase is just a stepping stone to getting us to a house. But we have to go into any purchase knowing if market crashes again we can't leave for a while. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:57 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,048,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Which side of Aborn were you renting at? The side by Capitol towards 101 or the side going up Evergreen?
Near White Road. I liked the nearby conveniences but the neighborhood was marginal and the commute, even just to north San Jose was pretty terrible. Sometimes would take me 50 minutes just to get to the other end of town. Now I live over by highway 87 also near Capitol.. much better area with all the shopping you could ever possibly want and then some and then even more. And I can get to my work in San Lorenzo in the time it used to take me to get to Milpitas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose