Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 07:56 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
lol...things are still overblown in this thread. No, the median income of 100k won't buy a SFH here, but that just means owning a SFH in Silicon Valley constitutes upper class, not middle class. Middle class is the lifestyle one has at the median income for a given area.

You guys need to remember that people are living in Silicon Valley on 16k/year (minimum wage). I'm one. I live here, too. Growing up, I was in the upper class, but I'm lower class now (economic class; we don't have social classes in the USA).

There are single mothers earning 16k/year and raising their kid on that. So 150k should actually be VERY comfortable.

The only thing is that middle class is different in a big city than it is in the middle of nowhere. In the Arizona desert, the median income will buy you a four bedroom house with a big yard and all that. However, in a big city, that is NOT middle class. That's UPPER class. In a big city, middle class is owning a condo inside of a building containing other condos.

There is nothing uncomfortable about living in a condo or apartment.

Remember you're only supposed to spend 1/3 of your income (after taxes) on housing. You should still have 2/3 left over to buy things for your kids, save for their college, etc. If you're paying more than 1/3 of your after tax income on your housing, then you can't afford your dwelling and need to downsize.

In San Jose, Paris, New York, London, Tokyo, etc., 1/3 of a middle class income -- the median income for the area -- buys a condo. In Jericho, Kansas, that buys a single family home along with the land underneath. You are middle class in both areas; you are earning the median income.
I'm curious how you ended up lower class. Probably believing that owning a condo makes you middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 11:12 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
In the bay area, owning a condo is middle class, yes. That is what one can afford with the median income, hence, it is middle class housing.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:30 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbone4 View Post
My boyfriend and I moved to south san jose from Atlanta about 8 months ago, and so far we are regretting the decision.

He currently makes $95k base and I make $70k. Our rent is about $2300/month. Its tough saving money with rent and everything costing so much…

Just curious, how much do you think you need to make to live “comfortably” here? (I.e. Being able to save money while still having a social life)
The price fluctuations out here are likely a bit different than Atlanta. I picked up a condo in S. San Jose in 2010 for $150K. When I bought it I noticed a foreclosure notice on one across the way for an exact same unit noting $442K was past due.

My realtor asked if I wanted to cash it out last month and thought I could get $350K pretty easy.

The Valley runs on tons of capital being dumped here every year. Half the country's investment lands within 50 mile radius of here. When it shuts off, up and coming venture die off quickly. Unemployment spreads like wildfire. Then the green shoots hit and the market heats up again.

Having a home may be part of the equation, but I'd say the comfort comes after making it through a downturn or two. Longevity seems to trump single year earnings.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:51 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
If you make $165k and can't save, even with $2300 monthly rent, then you have a problem. My kid is paying that much and she makes a lot less. Should learn how to budget.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:49 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,605 times
It seems like you're arguing about apples and oranges having a common experience. They don't. You can't compare the lifestyle and costs of a single renter and that of a family who wants more space and good schools. Those 2 people are living on different planets practically even in the same Bay Area. So I have to agree with both sides... yes, SF is perfectly reasonable for a single renter/small condo owner! It's "doable." And yes, it's ridiculous for a middle class family!! Also true.

It's the same way for NYC, London, etc. It seems like people are just getting angry that they see SF becoming closer to those cities than what it was before. But no one really bothers to complain about how expensive NYC is anymore; it's a given and now it is that way in SF too. It's not Atlanta or Austin, and if one adjusts their expectations I think there might be a lot more happiness around here (and less people moving to the Bay too).

Old 03-28-2016, 12:45 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I think it's the wealth envy. Other are billionaires, why can't I have a piece of that pie.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:57 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I'm curious how you ended up lower class. Probably believing that owning a condo makes you middle class.
Well, I make $11.25/hr. That's the lower economic class.

Owning a condo -- IN THIS AREA -- is middle class. There are other areas, especially in the flyover states, where the middle class owns single family homes. But middle class here is 100k (that's the median salary) and the median home price is about one million dollars. So, obviously, owning a SFH in the Bay Area is not middle class. In the Bay Area, owning a SFH is instead upper class.

Here you go, this should be middle class housing. Two bedrooms, so one for the spouses and one for their kid. It is in Edenvale, which is considered a good residential neighborhood in San Jose. What I don't like about Edenvale is that some parts of it are too far from public transit. The price is 315k.

http://www.trulia.com/property/32297...-Jose-CA-95123

I don't see anything about "income limited" etc in here.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:08 PM

115 posts, read 337,126 times
Quote:
Here you go, this should be middle class housing. Two bedrooms, so one for the spouses and one for their kid. It is in Edenvale, which is considered a good residential neighborhood in San Jose. What I don't like about Edenvale is that some parts of it are too far from public transit. The price is 315k.

5648 Calmor Avenue #4, San Jose, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

That looks terrible, I certainly wouldn't call that middle class.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:07 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
Quote:
Well, I make $11.25/hr. That's the lower economic class.

Owning a condo -- IN THIS AREA -- is middle class. There are other areas, especially in the flyover states, where the middle class owns single family homes. But middle class here is 100k (that's the median salary) and the median home price is about one million dollars. So, obviously, owning a SFH in the Bay Area is not middle class. In the Bay Area, owning a SFH is instead upper class.

5648 Calmor Avenue #4, San Jose, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

During the next tech crash San Jose will drop to 300g and places like Hayward CA will drop to the 200s. Watch.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:41 AM

169 posts, read 232,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
During the next tech crash San Jose will drop to 300g and places like Hayward CA will drop to the 200s. Watch.
Were you here during Dotcom era?
Did the housing of bay area busted after Dotcom busted?
What was the minimum wage at that time? and it's going to be $15
Certainly you did miss the 2009--2010 housing bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose