Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Downtown San Jose a success or failure?
Success 15 65.22%
Failure 8 34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:00 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,932,690 times

Advertisements

Downtown San Jose redevelopment for last 30 years a success or failure? The city spent over 3 billion dollars over the years. Is it lively? Was all the investments worth it to revitalize Downtown San Jose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:38 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,046,318 times
I'd say that specifically over the last few years, downtown has livened up quite a bit and seems to attract a more diverse crowd.

I'm not sure if it can be attributed to the high-rise condo developments that have brought more residents downtown, but the most recent times I've been downtown, it does feel more bustling to me.

There's definitely more work that can be done, but when people still say "downtown SJ sucks", I assume they haven't actually spent any time there recently.

If you really want to see a dead downtown on a weekend evening, go to Oakland. Now there's a city with some serious untapped potential.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:49 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,770,906 times
It's a big improvement over 20 years ago, but still below average when compared with many American cities, even those with half or even one fourth the population of San Jose. Not that there is anything wrong with that - it's mathematically impossible for everyone to be above average.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:31 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,425,290 times
The baseline I use is a childhood memory of riding down San Carlos Street in the back of my parents' car and seeing hookers, scary looking places with bars on the windows and nearly deserted streets with dust and trash blowing around in them.

Definitely a success.

People arriving in DTSJ now have no idea what it used to be like.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:49 PM

354 posts, read 438,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The baseline I use is a childhood memory of riding down San Carlos Street in the back of my parents' car and seeing hookers, scary looking places with bars on the windows and nearly deserted streets with dust and trash blowing around in them.

Definitely a success.

People arriving in DTSJ now have no idea what it used to be like.
wow. this is a really good response. makes me want to take back all the bad things i said about it.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:44 PM

It's very successful since it went from feeblest downtown to one with pride.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:20 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,864,293 times
When I got to San Jose in 1990, I just never go Downtown unless it was for my dentist appointment in Naglee Park, my church at St. Patrick, and the occasional visit to the Main Library (which at the time was located next to the Convention Center. Also, on 4th Street between San Fernando and Santa Clara, I go to Ca Mau restaurant on the west side of 4th and Vinh Quang eastern medicine store on the east side of 4th. Also hit up Ton Tho Tuong BBQ on 10th/Santa Clara. Back in those days there were many Vietnamese restaurants and shops in Downtown and residents as well, due to Downtown having much cheaper rents than the burbs.

Ca Mau and the businesses along the west side of 4th were demolished for the current condos, and Vinh Quang and businesses on the east side of 4th were demolished to build City Hall.

Those were the only times my family and I would go to Downtown.

Back in those days, Downtown did not have very much high-rises. The ones that were not there during my childhood?

- Axis
- City Heights
- 1SM
- Centerra
- PWC building
- City Hall
- All of the Adobe towers
- Marriot Hotel
- Deloitte building
- Hilton Hotel (built in 1992)

The massive King library that we have now was not built until 2003. Most of the condos/flats along 3rd and 4th were either low-slung mom-and-pop shops, or huge flat parking lots in my childhood days. Guadalupe River Park looks NOTHING like how it is now--it was much crappier back then. MUCH.

Back then Downtown was, to put it lightly, no man's land in my family. We go in for business and get the hell out, no need to linger. There was always an arid air about Downtown, a decaying scent in the air, almost like a rusted car. You can feel it in the air. You can almost see the sepia tone whenever you go there, because it's just so....decayed. Not boring or even dangerous, mind you, but just "decayed".

Downtown right now is MUCH MUCH better than what it was in the 90's. We still got A LOT of work to do, and I reckon Downtown won't be "satisfactory" until at least another 10-15 years. I hope that my children growing up will be able to enjoy a truly lively and vibrant Downtown that many generations before them (including mine) did not fully get to have.

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; 02-04-2016 at 12:43 AM..

Old 02-04-2016, 12:27 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,864,293 times
Last night I drove north on Market Street and saw the long red LED running vertically the entire height of 1 South Market building. It's a real sight to behold. It's a really good feeling

Old 02-04-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
When I got to San Jose in 1990, I just never go Downtown unless it was for my dentist appointment in Naglee Park, my church at St. Patrick, and the occasional visit to the Main Library (which at the time was located next to the Convention Center. Also, on 4th Street between San Fernando and Santa Clara, I go to Ca Mau restaurant on the west side of 4th and Vinh Quang eastern medicine store on the east side of 4th. Also hit up Ton Tho Tuong BBQ on 10th/Santa Clara. Back in those days there were many Vietnamese restaurants and shops in Downtown and residents as well, due to Downtown having much cheaper rents than the burbs.

Ca Mau and the businesses along the west side of 4th were demolished for the current condos, and Vinh Quang and businesses on the east side of 4th were demolished to build City Hall.

Those were the only times my family and I would go to Downtown.

Back in those days, Downtown did not have very much high-rises. The ones that were not there during my childhood?

- Axis
- City Heights
- 1SM
- Centerra
- PWC building
- City Hall
- All of the Adobe towers
- Marriot Hotel
- Deloitte building
- Hilton Hotel (built in 1992)

The massive King library that we have now was not built until 2003. Most of the condos/flats along 3rd and 4th were either low-slung mom-and-pop shops, or huge flat parking lots in my childhood days. Guadalupe River Park looks NOTHING like how it is now--it was much crappier back then. MUCH.

Back then Downtown was, to put it lightly, no man's land in my family. We go in for business and get the hell out, no need to linger. There was always an arid air about Downtown, a decaying scent in the air, almost like a rusted car. You can feel it in the air. You can almost see the sepia tone whenever you go there, because it's just so....decayed. Not boring or even dangerous, mind you, but just "decayed".

Downtown right now is MUCH MUCH better than what it was in the 90's. We still got A LOT of work to do, and I reckon Downtown won't be "satisfactory" until at least another 10-15 years. I hope that my children growing up will be able to enjoy a truly lively and vibrant Downtown that many generations before them (including mine) did not fully get to have.
1990, it was so much, much better than in the 70's(just a jugglenut of parking lots, Spanish retail and just some buildings with absolutely no pedestrian on the street). Just a few local treasure were located downtown: Underground Records, Twice Read Book store, Crepery where 71 St. Peter's is, Pacific Blue Fish restaurant by Irish Innovative center and Orange Julious at the corner of First/San Fernando. They had a celebration of "Destination Downtown" in 1988 to celebrate the initial completion of downtown, according to "Downtown 1995 Development Plan", which was almost done based on this plan.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:49 PM

176 posts, read 256,037 times
I went to SJSU in the mid 80's, it was ghost town. There was nothing to do, very few restaurants, sketchy bars. General seediness and lacked any reason for people to come and spend money.

It is so much better now, it's a night and day difference. There is a lot of social activity and stuff to do, and spend money on. It took a long time, and there is still more to do. Many people in the burbs still never think to come downtown, they don't know what they are missing for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose