Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 10:14 AM

11 posts, read 16,004 times

Advertisements

I want easy access to Caltrain and am looking at the area along the Alameda from Race St to Diridon. I have heard that that area has a bit of a prostitution and drug problem, particularly closer to Race St. Anyone have any insight to the extent and burglaries, etc? I have heard that SJPD is not on top of reporting and responding to things compared to smaller cities that have less area to cover, so therefore the online crime maps do not reflect the reality.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 11:29 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokra View Post
I want easy access to Caltrain and am looking at the area along the Alameda from Race St to Diridon. I have heard that that area has a bit of a prostitution and drug problem, particularly closer to Race St. Anyone have any insight to the extent and burglaries, etc? I have heard that SJPD is not on top of reporting and responding to things compared to smaller cities that have less area to cover, so therefore the online crime maps do not reflect the reality.

Thanks
The SJPD crime map will give you a pretty good approximation of the quantity and kind of crime in an area. Keep in mind that SJ has had trouble, as a whole, with crime as of the last few years because, despite spending $330 million/year on the SJPD, we only have 800-900 active officers at any given time (balanced budgets and unions don't always work well together, and the recession brought it to a boil). The only trouble is that one "hotel" on the corner of the Alameda and Race, but both The Alameda and the Shashta-Hanchett neighborhoods are in demand for their character and walkability.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:05 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
There's a Whole Foods market right there. How bad can it be? Worst problem will be getting hit by a hipster on his fixie.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:00 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
The Race Street/Alameda is pretty much Shasta-Hanchett neighborhood. That's a million-plus neighborhood. You'll be fine. Many of us in San Jose would love to live there, me included.

Now if you go south to Race Street/San Carlos, then it's a little bit different. Still not bad but neighborhood is gritty.

Bottomline, if you're a block from the Alameda, you're in good hands.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:36 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Yeah that's not a bad place to be, you have the Whole Foods and you are close to San Jose Diridon Station, within what I would consider walking distance, less than two miles. That gives you access to a train to San Francisco and also the light rail internal to Silicon Valley. Soon there will be a BART station there. So get a good job located near a light rail station and you're all set, you don't need to use a car to get to work.

Also relatively close is San Pedro Square, which is another really good part of San Jose.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:42 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
The SJPD crime map will give you a pretty good approximation of the quantity and kind of crime in an area. Keep in mind that SJ has had trouble, as a whole, with crime as of the last few years because, despite spending $330 million/year on the SJPD, we only have 800-900 active officers at any given time (balanced budgets and unions don't always work well together, and the recession brought it to a boil). The only trouble is that one "hotel" on the corner of the Alameda and Race, but both The Alameda and the Shashta-Hanchett neighborhoods are in demand for their character and walkability.
^^Regarding SJPD, this is spot on.

I am not aware of any significant crime problems in the area and I am in that area fairly often at night. But I will concede visiting might not be the same as living there.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:00 PM

7 posts, read 5,714 times
Avalon at Cahill Park and Avalon Morrison Park are two complexes on/near The Alameda. They look to be well kept and in better areas. I actually just stopped in Whole Foods earlier today for a coffee.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:14 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
There's also Avalon on the Alameda, which I toured myself... It seemed okay, but I did see some homeless people just hanging out in the parking lot and the yelp reviews indicated they struggle with keeping homeless people from breaking into the garage/harassing people at their door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose