Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:01 PM

266 posts, read 334,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Its actually happening? does this mean that now people will be able to live in Fresno and commute to SJ for tech jobs? Watch the high rent scourge hit Fresno and elsewhere in the valley.
hanford, merced and eventually eventually stockton will be available, so they won't be able to overcharge too much. And south west fresno has room to put up a lot townhomes and condos, so the city can keep up with demand for at least a few decades. expect to see lots of ads for new 250k-400k townhomes and condos in fresno.

map of fresno.
all the growth has been north. now it's time to go south

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 09:10 PM

865 posts, read 1,826,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
the people in hanford and fresno are going to be happy to have fast silicon valley access.
the people in gilroy are going to be happy to have quicker sf/palo alto access
it'll get enough use ;p

hsr is going to come in 3 big stages this is just the first.
bakersfield to la/anaheim is #2
la-sd, sac to fresno will be the last stages

That's what I mean, the stages, I just hope they don't stop progress b/c I think that once the line is finished it will be wildly popular, depending upon what kind of transportation services are offered at the stops.

Is this out of date then? As it has SF to Anaheim as Phase 1:
http://www.hsr.ca.gov/Newsroom/Multimedia/maps.html

Old 02-21-2016, 10:13 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
Quote:
Its actually happening? does this mean that now people will be able to live in Fresno and commute to SJ for tech jobs? Watch the high rent scourge hit Fresno and elsewhere in the valley.
Like Flovis said above, there're still a lot of land in Fresno to build out, along with the will to do so. This is not like the Bay Area where land is scarce and NIMBYs fight over every parcel that frees up.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
That's what I mean, the stages, I just hope they don't stop progress b/c I think that once the line is finished it will be wildly popular, depending upon what kind of transportation services are offered at the stops.

Is this out of date then? As it has SF to Anaheim as Phase 1:
Multimedia Maps - California High-Speed Rail Authority
I believe it is now out of date.

And hopefully the first leg becomes popular. This should mean that HSR can work, and with it will come investors that will help build the rest.

Full system hopefully will be done by 2050. Wow, that's quite a long time...

Old 02-22-2016, 01:42 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
HSR going to where the money is in San Jose? Yawn. Big surprise there.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:27 AM

372 posts, read 513,777 times
What they call "phase 1" is still SF to LA, as I understand it. They'll build that first phase in stages. They will first build it in the Central Valley, then connect it to San Jose, then connect it to LA, all while working on blended service with Caltrain and Metrolink. Originally it was going to connect to LA before San Jose. What they call "phase 2" has no timeline yet, it is just a proposal, extending it to Sacramento and San Diego. The ridership estimates are much lower without the LA connection so they are factoring that into the planning.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
What they call "phase 1" is still SF to LA, as I understand it. They'll build that first phase in stages. They will first build it in the Central Valley, then connect it to San Jose, then connect it to LA, all while working on blended service with Caltrain and Metrolink. Originally it was going to connect to LA before San Jose. What they call "phase 2" has no timeline yet, it is just a proposal, extending it to Sacramento and San Diego. The ridership estimates are much lower without the LA connection so they are factoring that into the planning.
Thanks for the clarification

Looks like it'll be a long time before the entire system is finished. Hopefully it's still usable then, transport tech could change fast in the next few decades...

Old 02-22-2016, 11:40 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
I believe it is now out of date.

And hopefully the first leg becomes popular. This should mean that HSR can work, and with it will come investors that will help build the rest.

Full system hopefully will be done by 2050. Wow, that's quite a long time...
That's exactly the intent - get some tracks in for service sooner rather than later - to keep it politically and economically viable. Basically an incremental approach.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:22 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
This is accurate.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
I sure hope they don't count it as an early failure and halt progress considering it is going SJ to Bakersfield. I mean, really...how popular could this possibly be?
Quite popular. The route it is augmenting/replacing, the San Joaquin train is currently the 5th busiest Amtrak route in the US. It gets plenty of ridership already when it takes 6 hours from Bakersfield to the Bay Area, and more people will ride when it only takes 1.5 hours to San Jose, 2.5 to SF or Oakland (via transfer).

At the Bakersfield terminal you can hop on buses to DTLA, Ventura/Santa Barbara, the San Fernando Valley, Inland Empire, etc. in about 2 hours. This puts most of Southern California within reach of San Jose in 3.5 hours, which is competitive with flying (counting travel time to/from airports & security). People already put up with the 8 hour train/bus trip to LA and more will do it in 3.5 hours.

Also... in case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of jobs around here, and a lot of affordable housing in the Central Valley. Bakersfield will only be 1.5 hours away, Fresno an hour and Madera 40 minutes. People already commute from places like Stockton and Modesto which takes over 2 hours each direction. On that note...

Quote:
Rents might go up a little, but not too much. All those cities have plenty of land around them, and growth-friendly politics. They will have an easier time meeting the housing demand than the Silicon Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose