Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:20 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Incidentally most homeowners in the Bay Area are millionaires.
Even if you're referring to home equity, that's not even close to being true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 11:20 AM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times
Housing shortage is part of this problem. If there were more lower cost housing nearby, you'd have more contractors at the lower end who would do small jobs like this. Right now subcontractors are driving in from insane distances. My cousin is a contractor in Marin, I hear these stories.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:39 AM

176 posts, read 255,653 times
You have to find a handyman to do jobs like that. They can be found for reasonable rates, but it's not easy. Contractors, even if they take the job, may bail half way through if they find something else that pays better.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:13 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
How do you get a contractor to install someting in your house for a reasonable price, and even get them to show up and call you back?
I am trying to get a patio cover instaleld. The responsive ones charge 4000-5000 for the same thing as the others charge $2000 for. The $2000 ones dont call me back. It looks like there is no unemployment in the bay area at all. Also most contractors if not all, only willing to do jobs where they become rich from a single half day project, or they make their monthly income from a few days of working. Or maybe they make 10x as much an hour/year as I do in my principal engineer job. There are a lot of people in the BA who would not mind paying $5000 or even $50k for that $2k patio cover.
I don't know how anyone can offer a $2K patio cover at all, really. What are the dimensions, materials, features?

I paid more than that just for an arbor to grow some vines on.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:35 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I don't know how anyone can offer a $2K patio cover at all, really. What are the dimensions, materials, features?

I paid more than that just for an arbor to grow some vines on.
The material kit is $1500. Installation is $600.
With the other contractor they dont list the material separately, otherwise it would be seen that they charge more for the 3 hour installation than the material cost.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:25 AM

96 posts, read 210,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrb View Post
Contractors also have to live here. I don't know how much work is involved to install your patio cover, but if they think it only makes financial sense to them at $5000, then that's just the reality of this high-cost area.
Agreed. It's just as expensive for them to live as for you. Remember, police officer in the bay area makes >$100K. Plus, there is a shortage of skilled labor like plumbers and electricians, because a generation of parents told their kids to go to college and get liberal arts degrees in basket weaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose