Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 01:06 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,760,180 times

Advertisements

How do you get a contractor to install someting in your house for a reasonable price, and even get them to show up and call you back?
I am trying to get a patio cover instaleld. The responsive ones charge 4000-5000 for the same thing as the others charge $2000 for. The $2000 ones dont call me back. It looks like there is no unemployment in the bay area at all. Also most contractors if not all, only willing to do jobs where they become rich from a single half day project, or they make their monthly income from a few days of working. Or maybe they make 10x as much an hour/year as I do in my principal engineer job. There are a lot of people in the BA who would not mind paying $5000 or even $50k for that $2k patio cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 10:55 AM

115 posts, read 336,702 times
Contractors also have to live here. I don't know how much work is involved to install your patio cover, but if they think it only makes financial sense to them at $5000, then that's just the reality of this high-cost area.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:58 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,342,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
How do you get a contractor to install someting in your house for a reasonable price, and even get them to show up and call you back?
I am trying to get a patio cover instaleld. The responsive ones charge 4000-5000 for the same thing as the others charge $2000 for. The $2000 ones dont call me back. It looks like there is no unemployment in the bay area at all. Also most contractors if not all, only willing to do jobs where they become rich from a single half day project, or they make their monthly income from a few days of working. Or maybe they make 10x as much an hour/year as I do in my principal engineer job. There are a lot of people in the BA who would not mind paying $5000 or even $50k for that $2k patio cover.
Pretty much.

Yes, we all get to enjoy being lumped in with the FB / Twitter / Google / etc IPO people.

"What, you mean you merely want to restore your place to original 1953ish condition? You don't want 56 recessed lights in your kitchen? No wine fridge? No stone counters? No outdoor kitchen?

"Bwaaahaaaahaaaa! Good one!"

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Old 03-23-2016, 02:26 PM

402 posts, read 537,076 times
I agree it is a huge problem. I also made some research for my backyard and shade/sun room project... Unsuccessfully so far... Contractors ask too much for me... I'm even thinking to do the project by my own but it'll take forever since I have full-time job.

I've heard people who want to save some money try to find contractors in Sacramento area because they charge less for the same work. What do you think about that idea folks? I don't completely understand where these people live when working under your project? Cheap extended stay hotels? Or they travel all long way from Sacramento, every day?

Old 03-23-2016, 03:37 PM

423 posts, read 607,219 times
It is a market economy. GC will ask as much as possible based on supply and demand. Basically, they are so busy right now that they can fill their time by taking on expensive projects. And they don't have time and could careless about low cost projects. If I was a GC, I'd do the same. Of course as homeowner, it sucks.

And the worst thing is this is not just licensed GC, but the unlicensed "handyman" are super busy too. Handyman cost today is same as licensed GC pricing in 2010.

OP, not sure what you are complaining about. If a $2000 contractor won't even return your call, then they don't exists; that is a cost in your mind but not reality.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:44 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,713,073 times
It's not recently phenomenon. When we lived there, if we call contractor to do a small job, they would not come. They would quote us in the $100k range to do hardscape of the whole yard, solely based on the price of our house. They know how much the house was worth and often commented so. Because of that my husband and I got into the DYI, we planned and called the cement company and did our little area for less than $500.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:49 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,709,869 times
Quote:
Incidentally most homeowners in the Bay Area are millionaires.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:41 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,760,180 times
I understand that the contractors also have to make a living. But their minimum standard of living is like 3x mine. Most places a contractor is like middle class. Here high-skilled top engineers are lower middle class, while handymen and contractors are upper middle class. Why do they have to make 3x as much as I do in an our?
How about those people whining that they have been unemployed for years? They cant get a job as an assistant handymen or employee of a contractor and make more than they would in an engineering office? Not fancy the dirty work?
Maybe the unemployment benefits and therefore the willingness to work threshold are too high.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,709,869 times
Quote:
I understand that the contractors also have to make a living. But their minimum standard of living is like 3x mine. Most places a contractor is like middle class. Here high-skilled top engineers are lower middle class, while handymen and contractors are upper middle class. Why do they have to make 3x as much as I do in an our?
How about those people whining that they have been unemployed for years? They cant get a job as an assistant handymen or employee of a contractor and make more than they would in an engineering office? Not fancy the dirty work?
Maybe the unemployment benefits and therefore the willingness to work threshold are too high.
Tu Hablas Espanol por la trabador.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:22 PM

115 posts, read 336,702 times
Quote:
So if they get 3x as much as you do then why don't you become a handyman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose