Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 07:15 PM

16 posts, read 28,954 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I work in Los Gatos and have been living in LG for a while, having moved here from the east coast in 2014. Lately, I'm feeling a desire to live somewhere with more people my age (I'm 25). The San Jose suburbia is safe and LG is charming, but I feel a little soul-crushed, you know?

I have a unique commute situation that has led me to consider Berkeley and Santa Cruz as more vibrant living options. I work only four days a week from about noon-8pm, so I could drive at off-peak times.

Questions:

Am I crazy to commute this far? Do some people find it manageable?
Would you recommend Berkeley or Santa Cruz over the other? I'm curious both from a commute perspective and a cultural perspective.

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 10:22 PM

402 posts, read 538,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardency View Post
Hi there,

Would you recommend Berkeley
Berkeley? I hope you are not serious about this idea since traffic and distance itself are crazy. If you need some young vibe, live in San Jose downtown or nearby, and go to Berkeley during your weekend time if you like that city so much (I hate it because it is not family-friendly, lots of lazy and broken people).

Santa Cruz - it is a workable taking into account that you drive not in rush hours.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:23 PM

22 posts, read 31,381 times
Santa Cruz would be very easy in terms of driving to and fro. I can't speak to Berkeley's commute/drive time, but it seems a bit challenging. What kind of things do you like to do? There are a lot of college kids in Santa Cruz, but it seems to me that single 20 somethings who are out of school might not find it ideal. It really depends on what you find enjoyable - hiking, exercise/yoga, and music are readily available in Santa Cruz, however (as well as beaches, of course!).

Old 05-22-2016, 11:17 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,028 times
Santa Cruz is very small, so the problem that you find in Los Gatos will become magnified. At least in LG you are connected to the rest of the Bay Area.

I would say move yourself to near Downtown San Jose, still the most lively place in the South Bay.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:09 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr831 View Post
Santa Cruz would be very easy in terms of driving to and fro. I can't speak to Berkeley's commute/drive time, but it seems a bit challenging. What kind of things do you like to do? There are a lot of college kids in Santa Cruz, but it seems to me that single 20 somethings who are out of school might not find it ideal. It really depends on what you find enjoyable - hiking, exercise/yoga, and music are readily available in Santa Cruz, however (as well as beaches, of course!).
Well, the drive over the summit (17) can be a real bear so that has to be taken into account.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:50 PM

153 posts, read 200,696 times
Santa Cruz to LG is a massively better commute than Berkeley to to LG. SC is a relatively quiet place, but I can see how it could appeal to an outdoors-minded young person. Many say that 17 is a tough road to drive daily. I've never done that commute, but I don't really understand what's so bad about it, frankly. Then again, I commuted over the continental divide in Montana for a time, and thought it was fine...

(used to live in the Bay Area)

Old 05-22-2016, 09:17 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,741,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardency View Post
Hi there,

I work in Los Gatos and have been living in LG for a while, having moved here from the east coast in 2014. Lately, I'm feeling a desire to live somewhere with more people my age (I'm 25). The San Jose suburbia is safe and LG is charming, but I feel a little soul-crushed, you know?

I have a unique commute situation that has led me to consider Berkeley and Santa Cruz as more vibrant living options. I work only four days a week from about noon-8pm, so I could drive at off-peak times.

Questions:

Am I crazy to commute this far? Do some people find it manageable?
Would you recommend Berkeley or Santa Cruz over the other? I'm curious both from a commute perspective and a cultural perspective.

Many thanks in advance!
Living in Santa Cruz and commuting to Los Gatos during non peak times is no problem!
From the on-ramp off hwy1 onto hwy17 to Los Gatos when not during commuter times it's a very fast and easy trip. Just keep both hands on the wheel on 17 and don't get aggressive / competitive, etc..
Berkeley? I wouldn't want to do it 4 times a week. That's a much longer commute needless to say.
And Santa Cruz county (do consider the entire county and don't limit yourself to S.C. proper) is a fun place to be. Better air quality too!

Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Santa Cruz is very small, so the problem that you find in Los Gatos will become magnified. At least in LG you are connected to the rest of the Bay Area.

I would say move yourself to near Downtown San Jose, still the most lively place in the South Bay.
What? A population of 60,000+ in Santa Cruz alone isn't so small and there's an entire county to be a part of ... not just S.C. proper. It's an entirely different community / area than Los Gatos in almost every way that you can think of. Much younger, happier, more vibrant, very good live music scene, art scene, dance, lots of different community events for all kinds of people, and great mountain biking, great hiking, road biking, redwoods, ocean, surfing, etc.. No comparison. And, imo, much better than either San Jose or Los Gatos ... and better air quality too!

Old 05-22-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, the drive over the summit (17) can be a real bear so that has to be taken into account.
When it's not during commuter times 17 is no problem. You just gotta drive safe and sane and keep both hands on the wheel and don't go too fast. It's fun actually.
And i've yet to see a bear on it.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr831 View Post
Santa Cruz and county is not at all dominated by UCSC. So i don't get what you're saying regarding graduates not finding it ideal.
It's expensive but so is Los Gatos and Berkeley. But there are some great house share situations and lots of young people who are happy and grateful to be living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose