Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:57 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times

Advertisements

I own a single family home in San Jose, on a 6000sqft lot. My neighbor has set up a full kitchen on their patio (without permit), under their patio cover/roof. Then every day they cook "rotten fish", that poisons the enjoyment of my patio and garden, the smell even goes inside my house and spreads everywhere. It is some kind of south east Asian ethnic food. The smell is so bad that it makes me sick, I can smell it at the other side of my house too.
What are my options for stopping them from producing the smell? Lawsuit, violence, code enforcement, revenge...? Talking to them is not an option, last year they refused to discuss the fallen over fence so I had to pay for the whole thing myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 11:11 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,669 times
Oh, bummer. Our neighbors use their fire pit part of the year for some outdoor roasting, which I am sure is fun for them, but we have to close our windows on that side of the house.

How about some well placed outdoor fans blowing it back? Not to be mean, just to be creative.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:29 PM

it's not just that it smells, but it does almost every day.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:42 PM

423 posts, read 610,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
What are my options for stopping them from producing the smell? Lawsuit, violence, code enforcement, revenge...? Talking to them is not an option
... ...

Only thing I can say is to close your windows.

When I smell smoke from neighbors' grill or bbq, I close my windows immediately. I don't smell anything inside my house.

When I grill salmon, grill steak, smoke pork ribs, my wife reminds me to close our windows prior to starting. I'm sure my cooking smell/smoke goes to neighbors' house. So I assume they will close their windows as needed.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post

When I smell smoke from neighbors' grill or bbq, I close my windows immediately.
What if they are doing it all the time?
Occasional or sustained (every day) smell are a different matter. I may as well glue down my window as there are no days when I could open them anyway.
Also they are doing it right next to the fence, on the side close to my house wall and windows. They could go 10-20ft away from it, but that is not convenient for them. I think they are unreasonable.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:46 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
A big a** fan and a big a** smoker come to mind. Normally you don't want heavy smoke when you BBQ, but pretend you don't know that.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:37 AM

51 posts, read 82,752 times
Report them or move.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:43 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
That is horrible!! On top of the horrible stench I would also be concerned about a possible fire since it is under their patio cover! I would have the City Code Enforcement office come inspect.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:14 PM

926 posts, read 979,229 times
it is hard to deal with neighbours when the adverse behavior is sustained and neighbour is persistent. may identify the source agent that is producing the smell and found anti-"that" substance that suppresses those odor?

Old 07-02-2016, 06:49 PM

353 posts, read 437,494 times
many southeast asians cook outside. there's more room, heats up the house less, and when you fry fish it won't make the inside of the house greasy or smelly. The food item you speak of is most likely prahok (fermented fish) and yes, it is very strong in odor. The issue is, you live in the bay area. If it isn't prahok you smell, it would most likely be curry (which people also take offense to). Solution to your problem: go next door and politely ask if they can cook the dish inside or less often (my boyfriend's family usually makes a huge batch then stores it rather than cooking it everyday). I don't understand why people are so adverse to talking to their neighbors about issues that affect their quality of life. Talk to them and I bet you will get some kind of resolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose