Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does a large number of different ethnicies other than your own make you feel like your not at home i
Yes 52 38.24%
No 84 61.76%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 11:17 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
This is a bad thing? I don't think so. These schools are actually teaching something of value. It is the people who are leaving that are the losers. It is parents like those that are responsible for the U.S. being behind the rest of the world in education. The U.S. has to bring in thousands of high tech workers from other countries because the American students are too lazy to study math and science.
Being invaded and overrun isn't "a loser". But keep running your mouth about something you don't have any personal experience with. Cupertino was producing high-achieving students long before all these boat people and commies started pushing their way in. It was a bedroom community for Silicon Valley before there even was any silicon. But you wouldn't know that, would you?

The US has never had a problem with math and science. We graduate more people in math and science per capita than China.

We led the world in technological innovation (and still do).

Tell us, where are all the major tech startups located? Why isn't Ebay in Asia? Why wasn't Google founded by some Nigerian (since they're all apparently this untapped source of talent according to liberals)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 12:27 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Being invaded and overrun isn't "a loser". But keep running your mouth about something you don't have any personal experience with. Cupertino was producing high-achieving students long before all these boat people and commies started pushing their way in. It was a bedroom community for Silicon Valley before there even was any silicon. But you wouldn't know that, would you?

The US has never had a problem with math and science. We graduate more people in math and science per capita than China.

Tell us, where are all the major tech startups located? Why isn't Ebay in Asia? Why wasn't Google founded by some Nigerian (since they're all apparently this untapped source of talent according to liberals)?
Because Google was founded by some Russian descendent whose parents were probably Communists.

If you can't behave in the parlor with the adults, then go sit outside and play with the children.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:43 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Would you talk a Jewish American person in the same flippant way about anti-Semitism? I'm sure that will be a great way to win friends and influence people.

I'm generally a live and let live person, but I'll call out stuff when I see it. Doesn't hurt to be vigilant and stand up for yourself and others.

I'm happy that there are expanded opportunities that didn't exist 30 years ago. It's a better environment now for my daughter than it was for generations ago. You're probably better off talking to folks like Dave Coe or Phantom Pilot who are bent out of shape about today and pine for the good old days. They're the ones who feel threatened.
I've known many Americans that were Jewish. I've even dated a Jew from Israel, and she seemed pretty keen on separating rhetoric from real people. The only faux pas I ever made was when we went to a buddy's house whose parents were out of town. We had steaks and this guy had the best weed ever. Eventually I got hungry and had bought ice cream for us. Instead of dirtying up more dishes, I used a same dish that we'd used for meat earlier. Mixing dairy and meat is a no-no. So that dish got added to the heathen pile.

Later on we very flippantly laughed on the idea of why i didn't just get served with heathen plates to begin with, and that perhaps I was trying to be converted. We had a pretty good time with that one.

Now there was a choice to be made. He could have rightfully been indignant and hurt, or he could decide in the grand scheme of things, this was nothing.

Don't let your past define your present. Just don't let it. Rhetoric talkers on all sides will find each other....the only reason I jumped on is that it's easy to be on the right side of things and then go so uber right that you become wrong and most people stay silent. The vast majority are going to be chill. It works out, it really does.

Phantom's butt hurt. No group moving in forced him to leave. There's no salvage there. Any Native has long been taught not to judge others by the exterior. I'm not a great teacher...why waste time? Those people post hate on boards because nobody listens to them in real life. The next time someone makes a racial comment in a group of Americans (and by that I do mean Chinese Americans) don't heartily agree or get mad....just stand back and observe. I'll bet most of your group isn't saying anything. They aren't adding to the conversation. They want this unwanted topic to pass and be done with.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:41 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,369 times
Quote:

You haven't got a clue. I lived in Cupertino and my daughter went to school there. I was a Software architect consultant in Silicon Valley for several years. I was involved in the hiring of engineers and it was hard to find. qualified Americans. We would of much rather hired Americans than H1Bs because of the hoops you have jump through to hire them.

You may want to do some research about how our education compares to other countries. Many of the math and science graduates in the U.S. are foreign students. At the last company I worked at in Sunnyvale, myself and one other were the only Americans in the engineering department. The rest were from Korea, China, India etc. My best friend there was Korean. The Koreans are some of the best hardware engineers I have worked with.

I am a white conservative American and my wife is Mexican. We had no problem at all with the diversity of SV. We enjoyed it. We lived in Los Gatos, San Jose, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, and Livermore.

I don't judge people by their race or ethnicity. I judge them on their persona. There are good and bad people of all races and creeds.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Quote:
You haven't got a clue. I lived in Cupertino and my daughter went to school there. I was a Software architect consultant in Silicon Valley for several years. I was involved in the hiring of engineers and it was hard to find. qualified Americans. We would of much rather hired Americans than H1Bs because of the hoops you have jump through to hire them.

You may want to do some research about how our education compares to other countries. Many of the math and science graduates in the U.S. are foreign students. At the last company I worked at in Sunnyvale, myself and one other were the only Americans in the engineering department. The rest were from Korea, China, India etc. My best friend there was Korean. The Koreans are some of the best hardware engineers I have worked with.

I am a white conservative American and my wife is Mexican. We had no problem at all with the diversity of SV. We enjoyed it. We lived in Los Gatos, San Jose, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, and Livermore.

I don't judge people by their race or ethnicity. I judge them on their persona. There are good and bad people of all races and creeds.
I assure you I have more of a clue than you do.

It isn't hard to find qualified Americans. Its only hard to find Americans that will work for the same low wages as H1-B indentured servants. Your company was run by a bunch of skinflints that hate Americans, obviously.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:29 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Phantom's butt hurt. No group moving in forced him to leave. There's no salvage there. Any Native has long been taught not to judge others by the exterior. I'm not a great teacher...why waste time? Those people post hate on boards because nobody listens to them in real life. The next time someone makes a racial comment in a group of Americans (and by that I do mean Chinese Americans) don't heartily agree or get mad....just stand back and observe. I'll bet most of your group isn't saying anything. They aren't adding to the conversation. They want this unwanted topic to pass and be done with.
Oh I know. There's no basis for persuasion with him. That's actually why I generally let him make a fool out of himself and laugh at him.

OTOH, there are times when you do gotta call someone out when it's clearly inappropriate - and it has been effective.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:08 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,369 times
Quote:
I assure you I have more of a clue than you do.

It isn't hard to find qualified Americans. Its only hard to find Americans that will work for the same low wages as H1-B indentured servants. Your company was run by a bunch of skinflints that hate Americans, obviously.
It must be pretty bad to be so ignorant and bitter as you. You are so ridiculous that you are actually hilarious.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:31 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
It must be pretty bad to be so ignorant and bitter as you. You are so ridiculous that you are actually hilarious.
I can't speak to bitterness. I can speak to the so-called ignorance.

Is he ignorant about the fact that H1B workers are indeed essentially indentured servants? They are that because they are hoping and praying that an I-140 is filed on their behalf and they can become a permanent resident. They cannot complain about work conditions in the meantime.

He's ignorant of the fact that companies have hired H1B replacements for workers who in turn had to train their own foreign replacements?

The Indian H1Bs often had to borrow large sums of money abroad to even get the job. They live on top of each other in difficult conditions.

Come on now.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:19 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I can't speak to bitterness. I can speak to the so-called ignorance.

Is he ignorant about the fact that H1B workers are indeed essentially indentured servants? They are that because they are hoping and praying that an I-140 is filed on their behalf and they can become a permanent resident. They cannot complain about work conditions in the meantime.

He's ignorant of the fact that companies have hired H1B replacements for workers who in turn had to train their own foreign replacements?

The Indian H1Bs often had to borrow large sums of money abroad to even get the job. They live on top of each other in difficult conditions.

Come on now.
Oh, he doesn't care. He's just throwing a hissy fit that there are a whole lot of folks living around him that don't look like him.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:42 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
This is a bad thing? I don't think so.
Me neither. I lived in Cupertino for just shy of 30 years, and we raised our daughter there (we're Caucasian). It is a great family friendly community. And it has fantastic Chinese restaurants (and Indian).

Quote:
These schools are actually teaching something of value. It is the people who are leaving that are the losers.
Not necessarily. Sometimes it is about logistics.

We started our daughter in the local Cupertino schools, and we were quite happy with them. However, it turns out we didn't have very good options available to us for before-school and after-school care. The on-campus provider had no space available. We went to extreme lengths to get care, as both of us parents worked.

So, starting 2nd Grade, we switched our daughter to private school -- The Harker School -- primarily because of logistics. We were able to drop our daughter off as early as 6 AM, and pick her up as late as 6 PM. The before & after school care were available to all students, and included were tons of clubs, music lessons, etc.

She thrived there - for example, beginning in 2nd grade, students switch classrooms for Math and for English based on their capabilities. Harker's students definitely are drawn from the deep end of the gene pool; I remember one 8th grader taking math classes at Stanford.

Quote:
It is parents like those that are responsible for the U.S. being behind the rest of the world in education. The U.S. has to bring in thousands of high tech workers from other countries because the American students are too lazy to study math and science.
When it was time for my daughter to begin High School, I interviewed the principal at the local high school (Monta Vista). Monta Vista is generally regarded as a very good high school.

I asked the principal, in essence, "What's your secret sauce? Why is your school so good while another school across the valley is at the opposite end of the Bell Curve?"

His answer was quite telling.

He said, "It isn't our school. It is the parents of our students. Our student body is heavily 1st generation American, as everyone knows. The typical profile is that both parents were born & raised in China, and came to the USA to pursue their PhDs -- typically in science & engineering. Grandma lives at home with them, and speaks no English. English is not the primary language spoken inside their house."

He went on, "Across the valley, at XXX high school, their student body is also heavily 1st Generation American. The typical profile is that both parents were born & raised in Mexico (or farther south), and came to the USA to pursue work - perhaps in construction, perhaps as janitors & housekeepers & restaurants. Grandma lives at home with them and speaks no English. English is not the primary language spoken inside their house."

Very similar profiles: Immigrants & English learners.

"The Key" he said, "is that the parents of our students focus on education and ride herd on the kids. The parents of the students across the valley do not."

Finally, he said, "If we were to switch our student bodies, the Chinese students would do just as well across the valley, because their parents focus the kids on academic achievement. And, the Mexican students would do just as poorly here, as their families do not focus on academic achievement."

Harker's graduating class included over 12% matriculating as freshman at MIT. Dozens of students went on to Ivys (My daughter went to Columbia). Dozens went on to non-Ivy premiere research universities -- Chicago, Stanford, Duke, CalTech, Berkeley, Michigan, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose