Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:59 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
The bay area is unlike any other place in the US.

4 Major cities to visit: San Francisco, San Jose, San Diego, and Los Angeles. Las Vegas is even within driving distance of the Bay.

The cost of living here is high, but the reward is also very high as well.
FIFY I agree with everything else you said. Gotta plug the city's forum we're in, right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 12:04 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
i really hope staying in the bay area is worth it in the end. the income you have (dual) and the rent you pay $2500 can get you a brand spanking new 2500-3000 sq ft 2 story home with driveway and front and backyards and your mortgage prob even cheaper than your rent.. in a lot of other places.

so let me ask, why do you stay?
I don't know about the journeymen and the transplants, but for us native, it is "home". And it's a great place to be, it's a true metropolitan area spanning from San Francisco to San Jose, filled with everything of your heart's desire within 4 hours' drive.

Except for fall foliage. And fireflies. OK, so I guess we don't have EVERYTHING, but pretty damn close to EVERYTHING more than any other place on this planet

That's why a shack here in the bad parts of the Bay still costs TWICE a mansion in a great neighborhood in other areas of the country.

It is what it is

Old 08-06-2016, 02:18 PM

353 posts, read 437,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nony100 View Post
Do what all the Asians and Indians do. Have like 20 people in a single home. That's why there are so many. You can't afford to live on a single salary in the Bay Area.
You are assuming that all Asians (those from India, North Asia and SE Asia) are all poor. They are not. Many Asians in the Bay Area were invited here to work for tech companies and they make decent salaries.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
FIFY I agree with everything else you said. Gotta plug the city's forum we're in, right
Thank you. <3 the bay.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:56 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
You can't afford to live on a single salary in the Bay Area.
You definitely can. If that single salary is less than 100k, you will live in a rented room. If it is less than 20k you will share a room. But you can still live here.

Pretty much all you guys make five or ten times what I do, so the complaining is frustrating.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
You definitely can. If that single salary is less than 100k, you will live in a rented room. If it is less than 20k you will share a room. But you can still live here.

Pretty much all you guys make five or ten times what I do, so the complaining is frustrating.
Your frustration is completely justified. A single person can get by in the bay with probably 30,000$/yr by being frugal and accepting a more modest standard of living.

But honestly, many people wouldn't be happy with modest accommodations. Most people have it in their heads that they need much more than they really do. The need for huge fully furnished houses is baffling, but this is what society has told us is normal. I had one woman complain she lived in a "tiny" 2,000 sq ft house. It was just her and her husband living in it. She considered 4,000 sq ft the "standard."Ridiculous!!

Old 08-07-2016, 03:15 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Hey people in this thread....in the San Francisco forum, people claim that the properties we're talking about for the Bay Area are not found in San Jose, only in San Francisco. They also claim that Silicon Valley has no culture. I say that's nonsense because the whole Bay Area is connected as one region and Silicon Valley has influence all over the world. What do you guys think?

Old 08-07-2016, 06:04 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Do what all the Asians and Indians do. Have like 20 people in a single home. That's why there are so many. You can't afford to live on a single salary in the Bay Area.
That's just nonsense.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:40 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
You have 20 people live with you, like my next door neighbor. That's a slight exaggeration, but there are at least 5 adults splitting a nearly $3k rent for a 4/2 house.

Sound like my neighbors 2 doors down. There are atleast 10 adults and 4 or 5 kids living in a 4 bed 2 bath 1300 sqft house. The neighbors right next door probably have 6 adults in the same floorplan 4 bed 2 bath. And it's just my wife and I in the same floorplan 4 bed 2 bath house. I live in the east bay and I am pretty my neighbors rent for around $3000/month. We bought our house in 2011 so our PITI mortgage is half of what the rent would be. I don't know how as an adult I could share a room with a roommate it's okay if you are in college or just starting out but after about 26 or so it isn't just not worth it to live in the bay area if that's how you have to live.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:42 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
Sound like my neighbors 2 doors down. There are atleast 10 adults and 4 or 5 kids living in a 4 bed 2 bath 1300 sqft house. The neighbors right next door probably have 6 adults in the same floorplan 4 bed 2 bath. And it's just my wife and I in the same floorplan 4 bed 2 bath house. I live in the east bay and I am pretty my neighbors rent for around $3000/month. We bought our house in 2011 so our PITI mortgage is half of what the rent would be. I don't know how as an adult I could share a room with a roommate it's okay if you are in college or just starting out but after about 26 or so it isn't just not worth it to live in the bay area if that's how you have to live.
As I started reading, I was thinking, "i think this guy's my neighbor!" until I read that you're in the east bay. My other neighbors are a married couple, no kids, several houses on this block have large families living there, and the square footage is about the same as you described.

I just saw a Craigslist add from someone trying to rent a room in her house for $1100! That's nearly our mortgage payment! Maybe we should do the same and let someone else pay off the house. If only it didn't require dealing with pesky strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose