Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 08:33 PM

27 posts, read 42,586 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just moved back here a few months back after trying the whole Austin, Texas thing (NOT what its cracked up to be at all!), and am back to my California roots. I know when you bring a car in from out of state you're supposed to get it registered within a few weeks of your arrival, but my van had some issues being able to pass smog, so it's been stored, not driven the past few months. Well, now it became a high priority to get it registered so I have another vehicle, and I took it in for smog check today. Passed the emissions, but the scanner couldn't pick up any readings, so it was a fail. I plan to just go in and get the 60 day temporary registration (where you show them the failed test), but I'm not sure whether I should bring the vehicle in in order to get it... Are they going to want to inspect the vehicle before thy can give me a temp? Or am I not supposed to be driving it at all until I get some the temp registration?

Also, and this is the most important question, since I don't have an appointment how early should I arrive before they open in order to avoid the looong wait? I really need to get this done ASAP, and can't wait for the appointment (the website says next available is almost 2 wks from now at any of the local DMVs). Thank you in advance for any advice... It been quite a few years since I dealt with the good ol' Cali. DMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 07:24 PM

27 posts, read 42,586 times
Since no one has responded, I thought I'd let you know how it went today so others with the same questions will know. I did go to the DMV in San Jose off Santa Teresa early, at 7am, waited in line with 4 people in front of me. By the time they opened the doors @ 8, there was at least 20-30 people now in line. I was only getting a temporary registration, so they said it didn't matter if I had my vehicle there or not for the visual inspection. And since I was one of the first in line, I was quickly taken care of and out of there by 8:15. Not a bad DMV.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:46 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
Thank you for posting the solution! A lot of people don't do that. Also, you may not got any responses simply because people just don't know how to answer

And what did you not like about Austin? It's a pretty rad place from what I've heard!

Old 09-10-2016, 10:17 PM

209 posts, read 257,589 times
Santa Teresa DMV is pretty nice. I went at 11:30am once and was out by 12-12:15pm.

Alma DMV is worse, but not bad if you don't mind crowds and have a little time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: