Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 06:19 PM

136 posts, read 196,813 times

Advertisements

For a film project I'm helping someone complete, I need to know the worst crime intersection in San Jose -- the nexus of crime, the intersection of the meanest two streets, the epicenter of criminal activity in SJ.

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 08:32 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Downtown has the most violent crime along Alum Rock. Jackson and around 2nd Street would be the two areas that seem to have the most issues. Tully and Monterrey can see some action.

CrimeReports.com FAQs

That will show you.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:27 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Downtown has the most violent crime along Alum Rock. Jackson and around 2nd Street would be the two areas that seem to have the most issues. Tully and Monterrey can see some action.

CrimeReports.com FAQs

That will show you.
Alum Rock is not located in Downtown

Jackson/2nd Street is solid Japantown area, pretty darn safe. Tully/Curtner and Monterey is an intersection where at the 4 corners are the following: a cemetery, a shopping center (that is packed all damn time), a gas station, and a furniture store. Doesn't look like a good candidate intersection for large numbers of violent crimes.

Basically, the most violent area of San Jose is East Side San Jose. Always has been, always will be. So OP, I suggest you use the crime map link by the user above, and roll it to East Side SJ and see for yourself.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:44 AM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Alum Rock is not located in Downtown

Jackson/2nd Street is solid Japantown area, pretty darn safe. Tully/Curtner and Monterey is an intersection where at the 4 corners are the following: a cemetery, a shopping center (that is packed all damn time), a gas station, and a furniture store. Doesn't look like a good candidate intersection for large numbers of violent crimes.

Basically, the most violent area of San Jose is East Side San Jose. Always has been, always will be. So OP, I suggest you use the crime map link by the user above, and roll it to East Side SJ and see for yourself.
Alum Rock extends...but I don't recall what the street name is downtown. It's the same street. Too bad San Jose doesn't adopt a grid. That bad points seem to be around 2nd street/Alum Rock's alias and Jackson Alum Rock. The two streets are parallel, not meeting up in Japantown.

I was just looking for corners with the highest police reports. As far as I can tell, San Jose doesn't have urban blight/ghetto style corners. Filming gritty streets would be better done somewhere else. Even E. San Jose doesn't have much. Some drunk driver without a license may hit your camera rig with their car and try to drive off, but I doubt it would be beyond that. Maybe try the Tenderloin or parts of Oakland

Old 11-30-2016, 10:53 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro25 View Post
For a film project I'm helping someone complete, I need to know the worst crime intersection in San Jose -- the nexus of crime, the intersection of the meanest two streets, the epicenter of criminal activity in SJ.

Thanks in advance...
If you're asking about a specific intersection, Story and King Rd. on the East Side has long been a historically infamous location. The area has cleaned up somewhat over the last few years but there is still plenty of gang activity in that area.

To generalize, the majority of SJ's high-crime neighborhoods are on the East Side. I'd define the term "East Side SJ" as the area bordered by McKee Rd. to the north, White Rd. to the east, Tully Rd. to the south and downtown along the west edge. There are other parts of SJ that are technically on the east side of town but aren't what I'd consider to be termed "East Side SJ"...like Evergreen and Berryessa, which are nicer parts of town.

Last edited by mstnghu2; 11-30-2016 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-02-2016, 04:03 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Alum Rock extends...but I don't recall what the street name is downtown. It's the same street. Too bad San Jose doesn't adopt a grid. That bad points seem to be around 2nd street/Alum Rock's alias and Jackson Alum Rock. The two streets are parallel, not meeting up in Japantown.
Alum Rock and Santa Clara is the same street, but the Alum Rock section runs through Little Portugal and then runs through East Side SJ. It isn't anywhere in the vicinity of Downtown.

Your first post in the thread you stated 2nd Street/Jackson. That is an intersection in Japantown. I think you meant to say 2nd Street/Santa Clara. If that is what you mean, then yes, it's a shady part of Downtown, but mostly because of the homeless mingling around. Even Fountain Alley doesn't got much crimes nowadays due to the businesses operating there.

The worst part of SJ is always East Side. And when we talk about "East Side" we are referring specifically to the area mentioned by 'mstnghu2', though I would modify his/her East Side SJ western border to that of Little Portugal's eastern side instead of Downtown's eastern side.

Downtown is buffered from East Side SJ by Little Portugal. Thank God.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:55 PM

136 posts, read 196,813 times
Thanks everybody. Really appreciate this.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:57 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
I mean, there's nothing really like North Richmond.. where I've been told they will shoot at cars that they don't recognize and you have to drive for miles to get groceries. Story and King is a bustling commercial area with lots of foot traffic, not at all like the blighted "food desert" hellholes that are the true ghettos.

There are some slummy-looking neighborhoods, sure. The zone between Alum Rock, McKee, King and 680 is pretty run down. So is the Seven Trees Village area, and what they call "Ghetto Glen" over by Virginia and Almaden. On the other side of town, you've got the low rent apartments around Winchester and Payne.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:25 AM

7,024 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Whatever happened to Story and White? That used to be the worst area. Somebody clean it up?

Old 12-28-2016, 10:17 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Whatever happened to Story and White? That used to be the worst area. Somebody clean it up?
It's still a s***ty area but isn't nearly as bad as many other ghetto parts of the Bay Area. There is a lot of gang activity around there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose