Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 01:20 AM

478 posts, read 691,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Everytime I read something like this, as a bachelor making 100k/yr, it's so hard to remain positive about the future.

i think after a while you get desensitized.

just marry a bachelorette who also makes 100K, so youll be 200K income family and youll be able to afford that 800,000 new condo/townhome 2bedroom with no front or back yards and no driveway in the nice part o the bay. im joking here, but this is actaully a reality to many.

if your goal is to one day raise a family in a nice detached single family home with a front and back yard, a driveway new suburban neighborhood, that really is out of the question unless you are making tons of money with a big down payment. a neighborhood like that with a house like that is easily 1.5-2mil and its not even that great in comparison to other undersireable places in CA or outside of CA for the money.

but i guess at 100K a year bachelor, you can be comfortable renting with a roomate maybe in a nice area by a hip downtown city easily accessible to clubs, bars, things to do, and close to bring any ladies you meet in the process. question is how long do you plan on doing that for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 01:21 PM

263 posts, read 234,214 times
I think it is very doable but 150k base salary here is not too great here especially for head of household with no backup incomes. You will find easily a nice rental but I think it will be impossible for you to buy a nice big house in a nice neighborhood. You are coming to the area that will be more expensive than Irvine. There will be some tradeoffs. Consider living close to public transportation although the areas near the public transit tend to be more expensive. The closer you move to work the better.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:34 PM

787 posts, read 644,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
i think after a while you get desensitized.

just marry a bachelorette who also makes 100K.
it sounds like a great idea but how? All the bachelorettes makeing 100k want men making 300k....

That's why I feel like I'm running on treadmill. It's never enough it feels.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:04 PM

23 posts, read 91,703 times
Thanks for the replies.
Definitely eye opener and something to think of.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by affluent View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Definitely eye opener and something to think of.
Interesting username to thread ratio I just noticed.

If you're affluent, anywhere is doable, lol.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:57 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
it sounds like a great idea but how? All the bachelorettes makeing 100k want men making 300k....

Not always. My friend is making about $120K a year and dating a woman about 20 years younger than him making well over $200K. She is trying to sell her house for 1.2 million and still owns a house in Alameda worth about $700k plus a few out of state rentals.
They will get married soon and live in his paid for 3/1.5 house in Dublin worth about $700K after she sells the 1.2 million house.
They will be in a great position. I've also know friends who dated women that made more than they did. So it's not that uncommon.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Not always. My friend is making about $120K a year and dating a woman about 20 years younger than him making well over $200K. She is trying to sell her house for 1.2 million and still owns a house in Alameda worth about $700k plus a few out of state rentals.
They will get married soon and live in his paid for 3/1.5 house in Dublin worth about $700K after she sells the 1.2 million house.
They will be in a great position. I've also know friends who dated women that made more than they did. So it's not that uncommon.
It's maybe the second time I hear of it but just being realistic, I'd say it's more the exception than the rule, and certainly not something I'd hold my breath on, lol. I've never had my salary come up on a first date and it end well.

Also he has property, they both do, that's a very different situation, I rent.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:16 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
It's maybe the second time I hear of it but just being realistic, I'd say it's more the exception than the rule, and certainly not something I'd hold my breath on, lol. I've never had my salary come up on a first date and it end well.

Also he has property, they both do, that's a very different situation, I rent.
He went on a lot of dates on match.com, most never panned out. I think persistence was the key and knowing exactly what he wanted. He. Went out with a lot of women earning less money than him, but there were quite a few that were high earners. I think you'd find someone who makes good money, it just might take more effort.
Maybe you don't get a property owner, but someone who earns a good income like you. X2 people and property becomes a good possibility.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:56 AM

23 posts, read 91,703 times
Quote:
Interesting username to thread ratio I just noticed.

If you're affluent, anywhere is doable, lol.
I chose this name to represent CA LOL...

Old 02-08-2017, 11:19 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

Why do some men believe this? It's not true; there are plenty of women looking to date their peers. Why would they want guys making 300K? They're just looking for a nice guy who's self-supporting. Probably one reason it's so hard for them to get dates is that the guys at their level are going around with your mindset, and assume the women in their organization aren't interested. Time for a self-esteem makeover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose