Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 04:24 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times

Advertisements

Perma Bear works for the government, stable job but low pay. He lives at home, hence the top 10% savings rate. That's why he is priced out. Maybe he makes about half of those people in their 20s and 30s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 04:40 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Perma Bear works for the government, stable job but low pay. He lives at home, hence the top 10% savings rate. That's why he is priced out. Maybe he makes about half of those people in their 20s and 30s.
The median millennial salary is 30k. I make twice as much as they do.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Do you just make this stuff up to justify your situation? I will guarantee you that the median pay for millennials is much higher than that in San Jose.

You need to do the following:

1. Stop complaining all the time and do something to improve your situation.
2. Move somewhere else that has a lower COL.
2. Accept your situation and learn to live with it.

Choose any of those 3 options. Wishing for a housing crash is ridiculous and it probably is not going to happen. Worst case scenario is prices will level out but they won't crash.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Do you just make this stuff up to justify your situation? I will guarantee you that the median pay for millennials is much higher than that in San Jose.

You need to do the following:

1. Stop complaining all the time and do something to improve your situation.
2. Move somewhere else that has a lower COL.
2. Accept your situation and learn to live with it.

Choose any of those 3 options. Wishing for a housing crash is ridiculous and it probably is not going to happen. Worst case scenario is prices will level out but they won't crash.
Millennial median wage map - Business Insider

No I'm armed with facts.

I'll continue to hope the market crashes and people suffer while savings every dime I make. If I was born 50 years earlier I would own an apartment building by now. Those are the facts.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:14 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Maybe those millennials don't live in California. I saw your post and did you read the fine prints about part time work and also the data is 2014. We are in 2017. It's delayed facts.
My kid barely had any income in 2014, she has since doubled or tripled her salary.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Millennial median wage map - Business Insider

No I'm armed with facts.

I'll continue to hope the market crashes and people suffer while savings every dime I make. If I was born 50 years earlier I would own an apartment building by now. Those are the facts.
Your link states that their stats include college aged working part time so it is not a valid comparison.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Your link states that their stats include college aged working part time so it is not a valid comparison.
Grasping at straws I see.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:01 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
I'm in the top 10% or higher of millennials in net worth. I'd go out on a limb and say I'm exact proof the situation is unsustainable.
That doesn't mean much when your income is incredibly low. Top 10% of net worth for Millenials means little in the scheme of things. It simply isn't that high of a net worth. It'd be different if you said 10% of all individuals. The top net worth of all 6th graders isn't really that high either.

All you are doing is making people think you are successful enough to afford a house when in fact you say your income is well below what it takes. Some people don't know your history here on CD.

You can buy a house in Hayward for as little as $300K. You claim in this thread you make 60K. Living at home you probably don't have much debt. The DTI calculator says 60K a year qualifies you for a mortgage payment of $2150 a month.

If you took 100K of that $150K you claim to have as a down payment your your mortgage would be $1,343 so you can certainly afford a house.
Heck lets get you a better house for $450K. Put down $125K of that $150K you say you have and you still qualify to buy the house with payments of $2,145 a month-well within your DTI.
Cutting it too close, get a room mate or 2 and get back a $1,000 of that $2,145.
If you are telling the truth, you can indeed buy a house and have no real legitimate complaint you can't afford to buy a house.

If you think you deserve a better house like a million dollar home in Danville, work for it. People have told you the same thing I have, get a second job. You live at home rent free with no responsibility, so a second job would be easy to handle.
You always talk about your desire to own a home, but you aren't willing to work for it, you just want it handled for you. You remind me of another poster well known in the economics forum who constantly complains the world is against him and no matter how much people try to help him he just complains more and has an excuse not to try to change his situation.
But I will be honest, if you earn that much and can continue to live at home for free, you definitely can bank a lot of money.

Last edited by aslowdodge; 07-09-2017 at 11:22 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
That doesn't mean much when your income is incredibly low. Top 10% of net worth for Millenials means little in the scheme of things. It simply isn't that high of a net worth. It'd be different if you said 10% of all individuals. The top net worth of all 6th graders isn't really that high either.

All you are doing is making people think you are successful enough to afford a house when in fact you say your income is well below what it takes. Some people don't know your history here on CD.

You can buy a house in Hayward for as little as $300K. You claim in this thread you make 60K. Living at home you probably don't have much debt. The DTI calculator says 60K a year qualifies you for a mortgage payment of $2150 a month.

If you took 100K of that $150K you claim to have as a down payment your your mortgage would be $1,343 so you can certainly afford a house.
Heck lets get you a better house for $450K. Put down $125K of that $150K you say you have and you still qualify to buy the house with payments of $2,145 a month-well within your DTI.
Cutting it too close, get a room mate or 2 and get back a $1,000 of that $2,145.
If you are telling the truth, you can indeed buy a house and have no real legitimate complaint you can't afford to buy a house.

If you think you deserve a better house like a million dollar home in Danville, work for it. People have told you the same thing I have, get a second job. You live at home rent free with no responsibility, so a second job would be easy to handle.
You always talk about your desire to own a home, but you aren't willing to work for it, you just want it handled for you. You remind me of another poster well known in the economics forum who constantly complains the world is against him and no matter how much people try to help him he just complains more and has an excuse not to try to change his situation.
But I will be honest, if you earn that much and can continue to live at home for free, you definitely can bank a lot of money.
Show me a 350k Hayward HOUSE that's not pending, is habitable, and isn't listed below value.

Last edited by Perma Bear; 07-10-2017 at 12:16 AM..

Old 07-10-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Grasping at straws I see.
I am not the one grasping at straws. You are the one that has a problem but does nothing to help yourself. All you do is complain and keep playing the victim card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose