Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 08:12 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,696,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I am not the one grasping at straws. You are the one that has a problem but does nothing to help yourself. All you do is complain and keep playing the victim card.
Am I supposed to build a time machine or save 150+% of my income to keep up with housing appreciation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:34 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,750,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Am I supposed to build a time machine or save 150+% of my income to keep up with housing appreciation?
I give up and won't waste anymore time on you You are hopeless and i am going to put you on ignore.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:03 AM

10,288 posts, read 8,443,687 times
Quote:
Show me a 350k Hayward HOUSE that's not pending, is habitable, and isn't listed below value.
If you are serious, get a realtor to help you look. Houses don't start out as pending, someone had to be the first to jump on it. As I said you can go up to $450k and I saw several that were not pending and quite habitable. You may not get the first one you make an offer on, but if you don't get out there and try for sure you won't get one at all.
If appreciation is that rapid, then you would want to get in now and ride that wave. Get those roommates and you will do quite well.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:10 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,272,378 times
Quote:
About 15% Of the way there. Waiting for a housing crash is my only hope.
That's an awful lot like Cinderella or Snow White waiting for their prince to come. And I'm afraid you're gonna be disappointed. Highly unlikely to happen in this area. Even in the crash of 2008-2009 - at least in my area - it maybe dipped a bit if at all.

Better try a new strategy/approach as opposed to believing in fairy tales. But your constant griping about the present sounds like your real strategy is to passively wait until your parents pass away and deed their home to you, rather than taking the initiative to

1) find a career move that's going to increase your income considerably
2) move to an area which is a lower COL
3) buy a place (modest) and rent it out with roommates to help pay the mortgage

And being realistic/patient - you may have to wait until you're well into your 30s in order to have enough. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by silverkris; 07-10-2017 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's an awful lot like Cinderella or Snow White waiting for their prince to come. And I'm afraid you're gonna be disappointed. Highly unlikely to happen in this area. Even in the crash of 2008-2009 - at least in my area - it maybe dipped a bit if at all.

Better try a new strategy/approach as opposed to believing in fairy tales. But your constant griping about the present sounds like your real strategy is to passively wait until your parents pass away and deed their home to you, rather than taking the initiative to

1) find a career move that's going to increase your income considerably
2) move to an area which is a lower COL
3) buy a place (modest) and rent it out with roommates to help pay the mortgage

And being realistic/patient - you may have to wait until you're well into your 30s in order to have enough. Nothing wrong with that.
I don't think Snow White had 150 grand but still was technically poor.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:09 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,272,378 times
Quote:
I don't think Snow White had 150 grand but still was technically poor.
It seems that you've proven my point well.

May I suggest a career move to the Walt Disney Company. You seem to believe in storytelling and you would be a great cast member. Perhaps Eeyore would be a fit.

Not only that, the Burbank area or Anaheim area may be somewhat more affordable in terms of shelter.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 PM

15 posts, read 30,452 times
It's also ok to accept that we are never going to be able to afford to buy a house in the SF Bay Area. Don't consider that a defeat. Stop trying to crash through the wall. It won't ever happen.

Heck... with your government pension you can live like a king in many foreign countries without ever worrying about your money running out. The suckers who live in the Bay Area with layoff prone $200k private sector jobs will never have that type of retirement security because they will be collecting unemployment during the next recession and foreclosing. You are safe in a government job with your parent's home. If layoff doesn't happen during the next recession, it will hit them before the 30 year mortgage is paid off.

It would even be smart to get married and still live at the parent's home. I don't consider that a loser move at all. That's very common in Asian families with multi-generations inside the same house. I consider that an extremely smart move given the ridiculous unaffordability of homes in the SF Bay Area.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw1 View Post
It's also ok to accept that we are never going to be able to afford to buy a house in the SF Bay Area. Don't consider that a defeat. Stop trying to crash through the wall. It won't ever happen.

Heck... with your government pension you can live like a king in many foreign countries without ever worrying about your money running out. The suckers who live in the Bay Area with layoff prone $200k private sector jobs will never have that type of retirement security because they will be collecting unemployment during the next recession and foreclosing. You are safe in a government job with your parent's home. If layoff doesn't happen during the next recession, it will hit them before the 30 year mortgage is paid off.

It would even be smart to get married and still live at the parent's home. I don't consider that a loser move at all. That's very common in Asian families with multi-generations inside the same house. I consider that an extremely smart move given the ridiculous unaffordability of homes in the SF Bay Area.
You mentioned having 80% equity. Me thinks you're not sincere.

Last edited by Perma Bear; 07-10-2017 at 08:51 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 08:37 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,380,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzel24 View Post
FUN FACT: Google tried to open a campus in Arizona but left. Why? A dearth of technical talent. Silicon Valley has it. (I doubt Trump will deport this talent. He even had a "discussion" about this with Steven Bannon. ) Look, India, unlike America, invested in and pushed Engineering schools for it's citizens while America slept. I just wish our native citizens would be more interested in technology, engineering, etc. to be competitive in the world but it starts EARLY in high school and we do not support/invest in our public high schools. Anyway, this is a much larger problem...
If Tech moves to Vancouver, BC (and perhaps India eventually), California would have a reason to secede, thanks to Trump and the far away Eastern-centric Federal Government, since half of it's economy in the Northern halve is literally, physically gone, sending the entire state in an economic tail-spin. Trump is smart enough not to leave his fingerprints on that issue. Fingerprints on Russia is an entirely different question!

Old 07-10-2017, 09:01 PM

402 posts, read 535,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw1 View Post
That's very common in Asian families with multi-generations inside the same house. I consider that an extremely smart move given the ridiculous unaffordability of homes in the SF Bay Area.
Mmmm it depends. Modern Asian (Asian American) extended families live together only until save money to buy one more house. Parents stay in old house, and children with grandchildren move to a new house, or visa versa. If lucky, people buy duplex but NOT live in the same house IF they have money to live in their own place. it is a stereotype Asian people or all foreigners in general prefer to live together. Sometimes it is a necessity but not a preference. It is 21st century...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose