Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 08:13 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,272,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Interesting because most people I meet either pay virtually nothing or live for free. It's especially common in Latin/Asian households (I am Chinese).
Well, I happen to also be Chinese, and it's not that common around here. Even back in Asia, young adults want to have their own place, and in HK, where they have runaway real estate costs, a lot of younger folks around your age are very, very frustrated with being priced out. A very young community activist and politician expressed that lack of privacy and not having a place to **** was an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 01:53 AM

5,891 posts, read 3,195,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Prop 13 is a proposition, unless there's another proposition or the Supreme Court of California seems it unconstitutional it's not going anywhere. Like I said. I don't care if they tax the wealthy, I say go for it.
Oh? Have you ever gotten a job from a poor person?

The "wealthy" are the ones that pay most of the taxes to start with. If you keep robbing them, they can always just LEAVE. Then what?

Old 07-18-2017, 01:59 AM

5,891 posts, read 3,195,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Governor Brown has repeatedly said Prop 13 is settled law... who better to know?

There are many things that can be done but won't because it is political suicide... any one remember the car tax that led to a recall?

I pledge to walk precincts, volunteer and raise my voice to protect Prop 13...
Really? Almost anyone is better to know than Moonbeam. He's a tortured soul desperately trying to fill daddy's shoes with anything at all. Except instead of the California Water Project and the aqueduct, he wants it to be a high speed train , nevermind nobody needs or wants it, Climate Change taxes that are unnecessary and ineffectual and destructive, and single payer healthcare that nobody wants except moochers.

What he will get is a place in history as the idiot under whose leadership CA failed.

The rich can vote with their feet and leave because money is fungible. The only thing that isn't is immovable real property.

So yah, I'm betting a Constitutional Convention will eventually be the demise of Prop 13. Of course by that time many of "the rich" will have jumped ship. And property values will already be in decline...which will of course be used to justify increasing the rates and re-assessments.

Wait and see. Bookmark this thread.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:45 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,750,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post

The "wealthy" are the ones that pay most of the taxes to start with. If you keep robbing them, they can always just LEAVE. Then what?
That is very true.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:54 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,750,993 times
Quote:
Really? Almost anyone is better to know than Moonbeam. He's a tortured soul desperately trying to fill daddy's shoes with anything at all. Except instead of the California Water Project and the aqueduct, he wants it to be a high speed train , nevermind nobody needs or wants it, Climate Change taxes that are unnecessary and ineffectual and destructive, and single payer healthcare that nobody wants except moochers.
I agree with you on this 100%. It is not just Moonbeam that is destroying the state. It is also the ultra left state legislature.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:56 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,391,831 times
Quote:

What he will get is a place in history as the idiot under whose leadership CA failed.

The rich can vote with their feet and leave because money is fungible. The only thing that isn't is immovable real property.

So yah, I'm betting a Constitutional Convention will eventually be the demise of Prop 13. Of course by that time many of "the rich" will have jumped ship. And property values will already be in decline...which will of course be used to justify increasing the rates and re-assessments.

Wait and see. Bookmark this thread.
Governor Brown's political odyssey is indeed remarkable no matter if you support his vision or not.

As Governor back when Prop 13 came to be he even sponsored competing legislation and also predicted Prop 13 demise.

Name another Governor in California with as many terms as Brown... not to mention different centuries... no one can because it will never happen again.

He was also my Mayor... another rather unique situation in that what governor decided to become Mayor of a city of 400k as an interlude?

Governor Brown and Prop 13 will be forever linked... so who better to understand?

As only a politician can... he said something to the affect that Prop 13 is not a battle he is willing to take on and squander political capital as it is settled law... there by quelling the troops...

Old 07-18-2017, 10:32 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,657,481 times
Brown junior undid a lot of vision from Brown senior. WSJ had an article on this. It's dumb and dumber.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 AM

13,570 posts, read 10,272,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Governor Brown's political odyssey is indeed remarkable no matter if you support his vision or not.

As Governor back when Prop 13 came to be he even sponsored competing legislation and also predicted Prop 13 demise.

Name another Governor in California with as many terms as Brown... not to mention different centuries... no one can because it will never happen again.

He was also my Mayor... another rather unique situation in that what governor decided to become Mayor of a city of 400k as an interlude?

Governor Brown and Prop 13 will be forever linked... so who better to understand?

As only a politician can... he said something to the affect that Prop 13 is not a battle he is willing to take on and squander political capital as it is settled law... there by quelling the troops...
Here's the thing - as much as some folks like to characterize Jerry Brown as a crazy spendthrift lefty politician, he's actually a bit of a skinflint personally (remember his rather unfurnished digs back in the 1970s and his Plymouth sedan). He hasn't granted all of the political fiscal wishes that many of the state legislators want to restore after the budgetary gridlock was broken, preferring to reserve some monies for a rainy day. The state's fiscal situation in his current stint as governor has actually improved.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:21 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,696,104 times
Quote:

Yes, the taxpayer

Old 07-18-2017, 12:31 PM

169 posts, read 231,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That is what politics and civic engagement is for. Evidently the city council of Palo Alto voted on it (and that's the County of Santa Clara, not the city). You petition your representatives.

Maybe for once - public monies go to the public good rather than for subsidizing corporations who don't need it.
Is it OK to spend from other's money?
That is why American in 20 Trillions debts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose