Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:31 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,856,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And opinions are in the eyes of the beholder - love 'em or don't.
Not every opinion is an informed one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 11:10 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
South Bay doesn't have much to offer to foodies IMHO.
Bay Area does have Las Vegas soundly beaten when it comes to Indian AND VIETNAMESE food. There is nothing like Burlingame's Rasa in Las Vegas, or for that matter, Santana Row's Amber India. I haven't had Ethiopian food in Las Vegas, so I can't say how those compare. But for Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Korean, middle-eastern, Italian, pizza, burgers, steakhouses, seafood, New American, soul food, Asian fusion, and many other categories - South Bay really doesn't stack up well against foodie destinations.
Fixed it a little bit for you.

Please do not ever put Vietnamese food into the South Bay's lack-of list. Outside of Vietnam and SoCal, the South Bay has the 3rd largest Viet population. Outside of Vietnam, only Orange County and San Jose can claim to be Viet foodie destinations.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I agree, that's why I had to fix yours immediately

Old 03-29-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
You are forgetting about a few good Michelin Star restaurants in the South Bay (Manresa, Plumed Horse, Baume, Village Pub, etc.) However, I generally agree with you when it comes to South Bay dining vs Vegas.
Add Adega in East San Jose to that Michy list as well. Awarded their 1-star in Oct.

Village Pub is not in South Bay.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:07 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
I agree, that's why I had to fix yours immediately
Good one!

Old 03-31-2017, 08:05 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,049,484 times
Quote:
Relevant username.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:07 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,221,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
Local chains that are the best (if they are in other parts of the Bay Area as well, then they'll be included):

1. Togos-Is this just a local chain, or could you find it outside of this area as well? If not, then they could totally beat out Subway.
2. Armodillo Willys-They really need to expand here in St. Louis.
3. Jakes Pizza-Why isn't this place talked about more as having the best Pizza in the area? It should have that title.
4. The Habit Burger
5. The Philly Cheesesteak Shop (I don't know if the one in Sunnyvale is the only one in existence though)
6. A Slice of New York
7. SmokeEaters (their fries were good as well).
8. Pizzamyheart
9. Noah's Bagels
10. Inn n' Out (it's not exclusive to here obviously, but this one seems to stand out more than the other burger places do).

Sit down restaurants that aren't chains:

1. Nola
2. Alexander's Steakhouse (it's probably regarded as being one of the best in the state)
3. La Fiesta
4. Saint Johns
5. Southern Kitchen
6. Scott's Seafood
7. Satkar Indian Cuisine-I wish that we had some good Indian restaurants here. St. Louis has none that are even remotely decent.
8. Whatever the gaming place is called in downtown San Jose. It starts with 'AFK'.
9. Poorboy's Cajun Kitchen
10. The Oxford.
Kinda funny, you have two restaurants (one chain, one not) founded by the same guy on there. Leave you to guess which ones.

Last edited by phantompilot; 04-11-2017 at 12:25 AM..

Old 04-11-2017, 12:22 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,221,847 times
I don't get too much into the chains.

But here are some of my favorites:

Pizza: Cicero's. If I have to eat corporate pizza, then Round Table or Mountain Mikes or even Amici's. For deep dish...Patxis.

Burgers: Kirks or Burger Pit

Italian: so many, where to start. I like Aldo's over by Netflix (interestingly enough there is another place called Aldos in Los Altos..no relationship though).

Diner: Flames (rest in peace, Flames!), Rick's Cafe, The Creamery

Mexican: It used to be better before it went all corporate, but I still like Aqui. Ya, I know...its not real Mexican food anymore. For that I go to any of the grungy taquerias in pretty much any city in the area.

Sushi: I've not liked any place as much as Miyake's. But then again, I'm not an aficionado.
Japanese in general: kill me now....but I actually like Benihana's. I just wish actual Japanese people worked there.

Steak: Outback (Alexanders' was overpriced and pretentious frankly....Outback steak is just as good at half the price if you order right). Forbes Mill ain't half bad if you want to eat with a bunch of douchey idiots trying to impress some bimbo.

Chinese: So many. But been going to Chef Chu's for 30+ years....still good. Hangen Szechuan good too.

Now I'm hungry, dammit.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:39 PM

318 posts, read 337,573 times
Nicks next door (dinner)

southern kitchen (brunch)

Old 04-12-2017, 01:00 PM

17 posts, read 24,027 times
Pizza: Patxis / Slice of New York / Blue Line

Sandwiches: Ike's / Adamson's French Dip / California Sourdough / Village Cheese House

Breakfast: Bill's Cafe / Hash House / House of Bagels / Gayle's Bakery & Rosticceria (Capitola)

Ramen: Hokkaido Ramen Santouka / Orenchi Ramen

Sushi: Mizu Sushi Bar & Grill

Korean: Jang Su Jang / 99 Chicken

Eggrolls: King Eggroll

American: Nick’s Next Door / Aldo's / The Table / Wine Cellar / Grand View / Alexander's / Fleming's / Shadowbrook (Capitola) / Eureka / St. John’s Bar & Grill

BBQ: Sam's / Henry's Hi-Life / El Camino Mongolian BBQ / Smoking Pig

Seafood: Pacific Catch / Boiling Crab / The Kickin’ Crab

Mexican Taquerias: La Vic's / Chavez Market / Iguanas

Mediterranean: Dishdash / Athena Grill / Dish n Dash / Opa

Hawaiian: Hukilau / L&L

Deserts: Sweet Retreat / Cream / Kara's

Last edited by nitl9; 04-12-2017 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose