U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 02:14 PM

88,056 posts, read 82,000,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirl2017 View Post
Hey Everyone- thanks for taking the time to write back with helpful advice! It is much appreciated! We are talking base salary with options, bonus, etc. so we can absolutely increase our budget, significantly if we need to. Thank goodness, because what I'm quickly discovering is that $1.2 isn't getting us much!!! And I started to look into Morgan Hill, which appears to be a good option. Schools are important from a resale standpoint, but we will be sending the kids to private, as we do now, so I'm not as worried. Again, I appreciate the advice. I don't think I handle one more New England winter, so I feel the massive uptick in price is worth it!!!
Morgan Hill will be hot, just fyi. It's not on the Bay, nor the ocean. There's "no snow", and then there's hot. Just saying.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 04:40 PM

169 posts, read 190,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That is a HUGE lot! Almost a triple-sized lot, a private park, really, with a fair amt. of landscaping, which explains some of the pricing. And it's had a lot of work done on the inside.
It did look good from the pictures. I went to the open house just for curiosity... lots of buyers went in and out. It's Cul-de-sac... so the lot size is like other Cul-de-sac homes around ~10000 sq.( same like mine). Inside also was remodeled maybe 5-7 yrs, and no living room. The ex- owner is landscape constractor.. but compare to other sold for the last few months as average 1M, the green grass should not cost more than 200k to build. My guess was about 1.05M... but did not expect it was sold as 1.2M.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:52 PM

88,056 posts, read 82,000,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanienguyen View Post
It did look good from the pictures. I went to the open house just for curiosity... lots of buyers went in and out. It's Cul-de-sac... so the lot size is like other Cul-de-sac homes around ~10000 sq.( same like mine). Inside also was remodeled maybe 5-7 yrs, and no living room. The ex- owner is landscape constractor.. but compare to other sold for the last few months as average 1M, the green grass should not cost more than 200k to build. My guess was about 1.05M... but did not expect it was sold as 1.2M.
Thanks for the info. The listing says it's almost 12000 sq. foot lot. "No living room"? You mean--no fireplace = no conventional living room? It has a combination living/dining room. I wouldn't be interested, as it's not my style, and I might agree that it's worth closer to 1M, but a developer might be able to divide the lot in 3, and get a lot more money out of it. In the neighborhood where I lived in Seattle, there was a RE agent living there who went around doing exactly that. He'd buy extra-big lots, and divide them in two or three.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:29 PM

68 posts, read 62,231 times
Quote:
Hey Everyone- thanks for taking the time to write back with helpful advice! It is much appreciated! We are talking base salary with options, bonus, etc. so we can absolutely increase our budget, significantly if we need to. Thank goodness, because what I'm quickly discovering is that $1.2 isn't getting us much!!! And I started to look into Morgan Hill, which appears to be a good option. Schools are important from a resale standpoint, but we will be sending the kids to private, as we do now, so I'm not as worried. Again, I appreciate the advice. I don't think I handle one more New England winter, so I feel the massive uptick in price is worth it!!!

You might want to look at Willow Glen, zip code 95125, if you have the budget for it.

4BR 2500sf is very doable in this family oriented & nice part of San Jose. You might even be able to find larger & newly renovated properties. Also your husband's commute will be <40 mins from here to Santa Clara. Booksin is a good elementary school and you will get good resale value for the house.

https://www.redfin.com/zipcode/95125...834:-121.91619

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/1...5/home/1286430

Old 04-06-2017, 06:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,042 times
Ruth4truth- no worries, you are taking to someone who went to college in Arizona... 118 degree hot in the summer, I'm prepared! And Nothing is worse than snow, black ice, driving in it- ugh... get me outta here!

Old 04-06-2017, 06:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiworker View Post
You might want to look at Willow Glen, zip code 95125, if you have the budget for it.

4BR 2500sf is very doable in this family oriented & nice part of San Jose. You might even be able to find larger & newly renovated properties. Also your husband's commute will be <40 mins from here to Santa Clara. Booksin is a good elementary school and you will get good resale value for the house.

https://www.redfin.com/zipcode/95125...834:-121.91619

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/1...5/home/1286430
Thank you for the links!!! I appreciate and will check out the area!

Old 04-06-2017, 07:29 PM

2,307 posts, read 5,233,317 times
Quote:
Thank you for the links!!! I appreciate and will check out the area!
I second Willow Glen. In general, a lot of the parts of San Jose that are considered to be desirable don't necessarily have the "best" schools (by API score) and can often be considered a bargain if you're comparing those areas to other upscale cities and towns in the valley.

There are plenty of parts of San Jose where $1 million-ish can get you into a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood. I'd also recommend Evergreen, specifically heading south into the Silver Creek Valley Country Club area, based on what you're currently used to as far as house size and lot. Evergreen's drawbacks are a crappy commute into and out of the area and also its somewhat close proximity to some bad parts of San Jose. You can get a lot more house for your money though, compared to other parts of San Jose. This is where most of San Jose's "McMansions" are located.

Also in San Jose, if you're looking more for neighborhood character vs. house size, you'll want to focus on areas like Willow Glen, Rose Garden and Shasta-Hanchett (zip codes 95125, 95126). If school quality is your main issue, you'll want to focus on areas like Cambrian Park, West San Jose (near the Cupertino border) and Almaden Valley (zip codes 95118, 95124, 95120, 95129).

Old 04-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks for the info. The listing says it's almost 12000 sq. foot lot. "No living room"? You mean--no fireplace = no conventional living room? It has a combination living/dining room. I wouldn't be interested, as it's not my style, and I might agree that it's worth closer to 1M, but a developer might be able to divide the lot in 3, and get a lot more money out of it. In the neighborhood where I lived in Seattle, there was a RE agent living there who went around doing exactly that. He'd buy extra-big lots, and divide them in two or three.
That's right. No formal Living room. The big dining room/family room( add on later ) is what you see in the pictures. No fireplace at all. It can't be divided into 2,3 lots due to it's Cul-de-sac l, no parking. The best the new owner can do is add a 2nd unit..700 sq maximum 1 bed/1 bath or called as in-law unit. That's what I am doing right now.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I second Willow Glen. In general, a lot of the parts of San Jose that are considered to be desirable don't necessarily have the "best" schools (by API score) and can often be considered a bargain if you're comparing those areas to other upscale cities and towns in the valley.

There are plenty of parts of San Jose where $1 million-ish can get you into a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood. I'd also recommend Evergreen, specifically heading south into the Silver Creek Valley Country Club area, based on what you're currently used to as far as house size and lot. Evergreen's drawbacks are a crappy commute into and out of the area and also its somewhat close proximity to some bad parts of San Jose. You can get a lot more house for your money though, compared to other parts of San Jose. This is where most of San Jose's "McMansions" are located.

Also in San Jose, if you're looking more for neighborhood character vs. house size, you'll want to focus on areas like Willow Glen, Rose Garden and Shasta-Hanchett (zip codes 95125, 95126). If school quality is your main issue, you'll want to focus on areas like Cambrian Park, West San Jose (near the Cupertino border) and Almaden Valley (zip codes 95118, 95124, 95120, 95129).
I think you are talking about Evergreen Country Club goft court. But houses around are in 2M+.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:24 AM

2,307 posts, read 5,233,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanienguyen View Post
I think you are talking about Evergreen Country Club goft court. But houses around are in 2M+.
I was referring to the Silver Creek Valley Country Club. There's no "Evergreen Country Club". The OP says they'd be willing to increase their budget. The houses outside SVCC (developments like Bel-Aire, The Ranch, etc.) are cheaper than the houses inside the country club. I only brought up this area because the OP is used to having a large house. In San Jose or the South Bay in general, the southern part of Evergreen, near SVCC, is where they're most likely to find a nice big house in an upscale neighborhood that would probably be within their price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose