Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 665 times

Advertisements

Hello

I have moved to Bay Area a month back. Thinking of getting my family here. My son (Indian citizen) completed 10th in Bangalore. Friends here are suggesting that it might be hard for him to come to Bay Area Highschool for Class XI. It is better he completes Class XI and XII in India and then we move here for his college. Needed suggestions from anyone who has moved here to Bay Area for Class XI and how you went about it. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:24 PM

8,384 posts, read 7,603,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswamy68 View Post
Hello

I have moved to Bay Area a month back. Thinking of getting my family here. My son (Indian citizen) completed 10th in Bangalore. Friends here are suggesting that it might be hard for him to come to Bay Area Highschool for Class XI. It is better he completes Class XI and XII in India and then we move here for his college. Needed suggestions from anyone who has moved here to Bay Area for Class XI and how you went about it. Thanks for your help.
I'm a retired college counselor who has worked with a number of students from India, including expat students who attended high school outside of India.

Much depends on his current high school and where he will attend high school here in America.

If his goal is to attend university here in the U.S. or in another country such as Canada, and he will be attending a solid high school in the Bay area, he may be better off if he completes 11th and 12th grade here . That way, he will be more likely to complete the type of college preparatory courses that U.S. universities look for in applicants. He will also benefit from having access to counselors who are familiar with the application process for American universities. Another possible advantage is if his studies in India are not in English he will not be required to take the TOEFL English language exam as part of the application process if he graduates from a U.S. high school. Finally, if your son is interested in attending a University of California (UC) campus or a California State University campus, he may have a better chance of admission if he has attended high school in California, as the UC system recently set a limit on the number of non-California students who can be admitted. So, before making this decision, you'll want to research the high school assigned to the address where you will be living to assess the quality of its program.

If there is a chance that he may prefer to attend university in India - perhaps for financial reasons - then he may also prefer to complete high school there. He will still obviously be able to apply to American colleges and universities, but you will want to make sure that he completes the standard type of courses that American colleges look for, including courses in a second language, social studies courses (i.e., history) and English/Literature. If there is a chance that you or he will want him to apply for a University of California or California State University, then you should also familiarize yourself with what are called the "A-G requirements" which are a set of courses required for eligibility for admission. Although international students who have completed high school outside of the U.S. can sometimes get around those A-G requirements, they will have better chances of being admitted to a UC if their high school curriculum comes as close as possible to aligning with the A-G requirements.

However, I know that there are also a wide variety of high schools in India; obviously, if your son attends a high school that is very familiar with what American universities look for, and has a rigorous curriculum (such as IB) this may be less of a concern.

So, much depends on your son's current high school and what is available to him there (and on the flip side, the same can be true if he comes to America for the next two years -- you will want to make sure he is going to attend a high school that has a solid college prep program here too).

Regardless of where he completes high school, your son will still be considered an international student when he applies to U.S. universities. Be forewarned that there is very limited financial aid available for international students at American universities. Only a small handful offer any type of financial aid or scholarships for international students, so if you will need assistance paying for college, that is something to keep in mind. International students generally have better chances of admission at U.S. universities if their families can contribute a substantial amount towards their educations. For this reason, you may want to consider the financial implications of having your family relocate to the Bay area as part of your decision.

Academics and college admissions aside, you also need to make this decision based on what is best for your family and your son. The stability of having the family unit intact in the same city is usually a major plus for most families. However, I've worked with enough expat students who had to start at a new school in the middle of high school to know that it can be a difficult social adjustment to move to a new city/country and start in a new school. So, I'd recommend that you allow your son to have some say in such a major decision.

Feel free to send me a direct message if you have any questions.

Last edited by RosieSD; 06-06-2017 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose