Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 08:41 AM

73 posts, read 86,365 times

Advertisements

This post should be in the retirement forum, but since I feel more affiliated with San Jose, I hope it’s ok to post here.

Well folks, after 35 yrs in Silicon Valley and after more than a year of deliberation with my better half, I turn in my notice today. My last day will be in 3 months, mid May, hopefully leaving plenty of time for a smooth replacement transition. None of it has sinked in yet. I kind of feel the fire is gone and at 58 I’m ready for another chapter of life in which I only do what I want to do. My spouse already retired 4 yrs ago. We both worked in Silicon Valley our entire working life and with friends & family in the area, the South Bay will continue to be our home.

Wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 05:57 PM

402 posts, read 536,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiworker View Post
This post should be in the retirement forum, but since I feel more affiliated with San Jose, I hope it’s ok to post here.

Well folks, after 35 yrs in Silicon Valley and after more than a year of deliberation with my better half, I turn in my notice today. My last day will be in 3 months, mid May, hopefully leaving plenty of time for a smooth replacement transition. None of it has sinked in yet. I kind of feel the fire is gone and at 58 I’m ready for another chapter of life in which I only do what I want to do. My spouse already retired 4 yrs ago. We both worked in Silicon Valley our entire working life and with friends & family in the area, the South Bay will continue to be our home.

Wish me luck!
Thank you for sharing your story, and good luck! (PS What is a new destination lool like?)

Old 02-12-2018, 11:26 PM

73 posts, read 86,365 times
To be honest I have no definitive vision of what the “new destination” will look like.
All I know is that i won’t be going to work anymore. No more commute and deadlines and 6 am conf call to Europe and 6pm call to Asia and no more presentation and no more business travel and no more integration plan for yet another acquisition. Need I say more?

I just hope I won’t go mad or depressed or regret my quitting early. I’ve ran full speed with mega stress my entire working life so I’m anticipating it will take some time to adjust.
Our son & his wife are expecting their first baby so we’re looking forward to be first time grandparents. I’m also planning on making more regular visits to very elderly parents. Traveling, supporting our kids if they need us, working on our house, gardening, biking, will round up the time. There are 4 other couples in our cul de sac who are already retired or just retired this past year. Everyone survived the transition so I think I will be fine.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,341,111 times
Congrats! It's the perfect time of year to retire, when the weather will be great. Just keep busy. Start a garden, sign up for classes, etc. It might make the transition easier. Then, when you relax into it, you may decide you don't need to take so many classes, etc.

Enjoy it. Sounds like you worked hard for it.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:51 PM

23,359 posts, read 23,767,632 times
Congratulations on your achievement!

Old 02-18-2018, 11:58 PM

8 posts, read 12,058 times
That’s wonderful. I’m nearing retirement myself. Great run and good luck!

Old 02-19-2018, 02:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,081,528 times
Congrats on your upcoming retirement!

Just go day to day in the beginning. You will sort it all out.

For my first 3 years, I did light consulting and remained a board member for 2 non profit organizations. Finally, I said screw it! It's my time to enjoy!

Enjoy the new fogginess which greets you early in the morning with no direction.

Enjoy that 2nd cup of coffee before you decide what you will be doing for that day.

Enjoy the empty roads, as you travel when you want.

Enjoy the empty lines, as you shop when others are working.

Enjoy your free time.

I am truly excited for you! Enjoy your well deserved retirement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: