Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:15 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times

Advertisements

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ity/387532002/

Seems about par for the course for Silicon Valley companies nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 08:17 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
There is no such thing as reverse discrimination. Discrimination is discrimination. Period.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
He's going for a wrongful termination lawsuit, hoping for a settlement no doubt.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
He's going for a wrongful termination lawsuit, hoping for a settlement no doubt.
How about all of those that were passed over for consideration for a job, just because of their race?

Old 03-05-2018, 07:44 PM

173 posts, read 255,054 times
I work for one of the bigger ones, the discrimination is blatant and everyone knows it. We have 50+ person groups that are literally made up of a single ethnicity. Clearly, only that one ethnicity knows how to do those particular tasks. It's not possible that anyone of another ethnicity might be qualified to do that task.

To be fair, the ones I've interacted with have all been very nice, some are even competent.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:14 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsquishmeister View Post
I work for one of the bigger ones, the discrimination is blatant and everyone knows it. We have 50+ person groups that are literally made up of a single ethnicity. Clearly, only that one ethnicity knows how to do those particular tasks. It's not possible that anyone of another ethnicity might be qualified to do that task.

To be fair, the ones I've interacted with have all been very nice, some are even competent.
It can be pretty bad and blatant here. On consulting jobs, I want to walk the floor or meet the group in an interview now. If my department's going to be all one ethnicity, I'm walking away from the opportunity. It's a waste of time and promises to be nothing but frustration. Life's too short.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:33 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsquishmeister View Post

We had that also, we called it the Chinese Mafia. (unofficially of course).

Old 03-12-2018, 04:25 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
How about all of those that were passed over for consideration for a job, just because of their race?
What about all the Disney techies, and others like them, who got terminated for no reason other than that the company wanted to replace them with cheap imported labor? Where were the wrongful termination claims, in those cases? Where were the class-action suits? WTF is going on? Why is everyone just rolling over and dying, when entire departments get canned?! Where are the public demonstrations?

Old 03-12-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What about all the Disney techies, and others like them, who got terminated for no reason other than that the company wanted to replace them with cheap imported labor? Where were the wrongful termination claims, in those cases? Where were the class-action suits? WTF is going on? Why is everyone just rolling over and dying, when entire departments get canned?! Where are the public demonstrations?
There's actually a lot of outrage about this. Why do you think the Trump Admin is so fixated on cracking down on H1B's, removing the repatriation tax to bring more jobs over here, etc? Not saying I agree with everything they're doing, but there is definitely a lot of backlash.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:55 PM

38 posts, read 32,537 times
I wonder about Silicon Valley. It seems to come across to me, the collage and young tech bro culture created a culture of intolerance. I am an over 50, Black male tech worker. I competent I will not face racial discrimination, but may face discrimination, because of my age and my Christian and libertarian political beliefs. I saw a mini documentary mentions how Google sore negatively if the person is older, married and so on there also Mark Zuckerberg’s dig on older workers.

It not just work. Worldcon, the science fiction convention, has been traveling city to city in decade but only this year Worldcon in San Jose has kick out people just because the leadership did not like an authors political beliefs.
I am serious have second thought of relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose