U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 07:21 PM

13,131 posts, read 8,171,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Sorry Snowie, gonna have to dispute a few points:

1) Incredible library? San Jose has the largest library system in the South Bay, it also has the single most impressive main public library this side of the Mississippi. Santa Clara doesn't have its own library system, it uses the County. San Jose's library beats Santa Clara by a mile.
Actually, the city of Santa Clara does have its own library, and it's quite good.

The Santa Clara County Library System is a totally separate system with branches in Milpitas, Cupertino, Saratoga, Los Altos, Campbell, Gilroy and Morgan Hill.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 11:34 AM

179 posts, read 145,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_mcmarbles View Post
San Jose is crime-ridden with decaying infrastructure, terrible roads, police dept who doesn't investigate property crime, etc. That's why the house in SC is worth $100K-$200K more than the hose in SJ across the street. The Lynbrook "I can't believe it's not Cupertino" neighborhood is the one decent hood in SJ, but houses in there sell for $200K-300K less than houses in Cupertino across the street. You KNOW when you cross city limits because of the giant potholes and the complete lack of street parking (police don't enforce 72 hour parking limit so people park for 2 years at a time).

San Jose (primarily around the downtown area) is on the cusp of a huge resurgence. With Google, Apple, Adobe, etc placing enormous bets on the area, many other developers are following suit. This will drive more urban residential options which, in turn, drive more exciting dining and entertainment. In 10 years, downtown SJ will be unrecognizable and may finally shed its reputation as the sleepiest million person city in America.

No matter what awards and accolades the city may be showered with as it completes this transformation, I will know we finally made it when joey_mcmarbles admits that he kind of, sort of likes San Jose.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:39 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,228,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejerryronnie View Post
San Jose (primarily around the downtown area) is on the cusp of a huge resurgence. With Google, Apple, Adobe, etc placing enormous bets on the area, many other developers are following suit. This will drive more urban residential options which, in turn, drive more exciting dining and entertainment. In 10 years, downtown SJ will be unrecognizable and may finally shed its reputation as the sleepiest million person city in America.

No matter what awards and accolades the city may be showered with as it completes this transformation, I will know we finally made it when joey_mcmarbles admits that he kind of, sort of likes San Jose.
Downtown is already pumped up. Resurgence will continue. Downtown has been on a tear for the last 7 years!!!!! Just gravy from the last few years and up.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:30 PM

2,305 posts, read 5,216,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Downtown is already pumped up. Resurgence will continue. Downtown has been on a tear for the last 7 years!!!!! Just gravy from the last few years and up.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:25 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,499,330 times
Quote:
1) Incredible library? San Jose has the largest library system in the South Bay, it also has the single most impressive main public library this side of the Mississippi.
I'm going to guess you've never seen LA's main library...

Old 04-06-2018, 11:12 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,228,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
I'm going to guess you've never seen LA's main library...
I have: meh, not as big and modern as ML King library

Old 04-06-2018, 12:31 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,344,330 times
To weigh in on the library debate, I'll add my 2 cents - I lived in Santa Clara but always drove to the San Jose libraries (specifically Bascom and Rose Garden) even though they were further from our house. Why? Several reasons. 1) The book selections on display were always way more thoughtful and compelling, like browsing the book displays at a good bookstore. The Santa Clara library always felt like they either just picked the bestsellers of the moment or picked random books to display. It's hard to describe but if you're a book lover you can tell the difference immediately. 2) For children, I found the staff leading story times at San Jose were better, and the children's event programming (lego days, classes, etc.) blew Santa Clara out of the water. 3) San Jose was in Link+ which means you can order basically anything you want from libraries all over California, and get it very quickly. Santa Clara was more restrictive on what you could order, took longer to get it, and had a less lenient renewal policy. 4) For adults they also had better guest authors and speakers.

TL;DR - Likely due to their huge size as an institution, the San Jose library has higher quality staff, access to more resources, and better event programming.

OK, but all of this is really beside the point of the original question, which is why Santa Clara has higher housing prices than San Jose. No one really chooses between these two cities based on the library system (and anyway, it's very easy to live in one city and patronize the other city's library system, like I did). The real answer, which I'm surprised no one has given yet: It's the commute, stupid. The majority of tech jobs are located in the north and west parts of the Santa Clara Valley. Santa Clara is a geographically small city that happens to be near the center of the north half of that valley. San Jose is a geographically huge city that sprawls into the north, center, east, and south parts of the valley. Therefore, pretty much any part of Santa Clara is located within a short commute of a large number of good jobs, while San Jose contains large swaths of housing in the east and south that are 30+ minutes in heavy traffic to those areas. That's why, even if San Jose sees a boom in the downtown, it will always be cheaper on average than other South Bay cities. It would have to somehow de-annex the east and south back to the county to lose that honor.

Lastly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
A Santa Clara zip code is sexier.
LOL. I've literally never met anyone in the South Bay who could immediately pinpoint the city of a particular zip code, much less consider some zip codes "sexier" than others.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 8,171,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
LOL. I've literally never met anyone in the South Bay who could immediately pinpoint the city of a particular zip code, much less consider some zip codes "sexier" than others.
That person might be me - as I was a total map and geography nerd growing up here.

95125 - Willow Glen

95124 - Cambrian

95129 - western part of San Jose that borders Cupertino and Saratoga

95070 - Saratoga

95014- Cupertino (all)

94086 - Sunnyvale North of El Camino Real

94087 - Sunnyvale South of El Camino Real

94022, 94024 - Los Altos and Los Altos Hills

94040 - Mountain View (the higher priced zip code section of MV)

94301, 94303, 94306 - Palo Alto; 94301 is the older part of Palo Alto; note that 94303 is also shared with East Palo Alto

94305 - Stanford University

Old 04-06-2018, 06:28 PM

863 posts, read 1,606,147 times
Quote:
Sorry Snowie, gonna have to dispute a few points:

1) Incredible library? San Jose has the largest library system in the South Bay, it also has the single most impressive main public library this side of the Mississippi. Santa Clara doesn't have its own library system, it uses the County. San Jose's library beats Santa Clara by a mile.

2) Police force? There are only 3 police forces in the Bay Area: SJPD, SFPD, and OPD. Every other "police force" are glorified security guards--they neither have the SWAT forces or the detectives of large, legitimate departments like San Jose's and San Francisco's. The only reason why these glorified security guards are effective in Santa Clara is because it is a small village that has zero actual "big city" crimes, which free up these glorified security guards to tend to things like kittens on trees and worthless neighbor complaints.

A Santa Clara zip code is not sexier than San Jose: it is just closer to a lot of tech jobs than most areas of San Jose outside of North SJ and Downtown SJ. Other than that, Santa Clara has absolutely nothing on San Jose, not in terms of entertainment, not in terms of culture, not even in terms of beauty.
Santa Clara City library is FAR nicer than my local SJ Library, which is also new. I'm not say there are no "good" SJ Libraries, but Almaden is a bit far.

You get more services and amenities for your taxes in other cities than San Jose. I feel like the only thing I get for my taxes is a good fire department and the best graffiti removal team, and the fact that the best amenity that I will quote is the graffiti removal team, says something else altogether.

I don't care how good you think SJPD is, when they don't come or respond, b/c there are not enough of them, it doesn't matter.

Unfortunately, people know it, and it costs more to live in the other cities.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:06 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodguyz View Post
Amazing how ridiculous the prices have shot up over the past several decades. I tried to give advice to a new couple the other day who were trying to find a place to purchase and still be near work. After we all did research together, realized San Jose is the cheapest place - and it isn't even cheap.

I thought Santa Clara was cheaper than San Jose (that's what it used to be decades ago) but its over 35% more expensive? (592 sqft in san jose vs 800 sqft in santa clara) What on earth happened around here? How do you young folks buy homes in the valley? You youngns' must be treated well by all these tech companies. Tell an old retired guy how much you folks are making?
Wow - topper, you have graduated to sockpuppet status! congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose