Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 01:44 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,826,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossly View Post
My husband is in tech but I am not. All of my co-workers who own homes at my not-in-tech jobs either:

* grew up here and still live with parents
* grew up here and bought years ago, when houses were not as expensive as they are now
* moved here 8 or 10 years ago, when houses were not as expensive as they are now
Precisely. I have many colleagues (at the library) who own homes, but they either bought 10+ years ago, or have spouses with higher-paying jobs. A few of the older staff members have owned here since the 1960's-70's, and now sit on properties worth MILLIONS for which they paid like $80-100K. I've asked a few why they don't sell and run, but they answer in two ways: Taxes on the sale would kill them, and/or they're not ready to relocate but wouldn't be able to re-purchase anything else nearby. So for now they just sit pretty with no mortgage, as they go "neener neener" to the rest of us.

I've actually been here (on & off) since 1983, and really wish I'd purchased when I returned after college in 2002. But my situation was just too unstable, with grad school followed by job/town-hopping for a number of years... now that I'm finally more stable in terms of work, the market is too insane for me!! Arrrgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 09:41 AM

150 posts, read 185,950 times
Quote:
I've actually been here (on & off) since 1983, and really wish I'd purchased when I returned after college in 2002. But my situation was just too unstable, with grad school followed by job/town-hopping for a number of years... now that I'm finally more stable in terms of work, the market is too insane for me!! Arrrgh.
Right there with you! My husband and I moved to the Washington, DC area in 2002. We could have bought a little townhouse or a condo then. At the time, the mortgage would have been similar to our rent, and low/no downpayment loans were abundant.

While it hasn't reached the stratospheric levels of the Bay Area, DC has still seen a ton of growth - had we played our cards right, we could have rolled that profit into a bigger house down the road. Even, if we were very good, had enough profit for a healthy downpayment on a house in SJ once we decided to settle here. We'd be comfortable in our housing situation instead of constantly wondering how long we want to be here paying sky-high rent - if we'll ever be able to afford to buy here or if we should set our sights on moving (again) in a few years.

But in 2002, my husband was in grad school and we didn't know where we'd be living long-term. It felt risky to buy. All the reasons we didn't go for it were perfectly sensible and rational at the time. And now that buying is the thing that 100% makes sense, we can't get in.

Ah well. I will say I knew people who were underwater and dealing with job loss circa 2008. They greatly envied us for not being tied to a house. It's not a ton of comfort now, but it was then.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:53 AM

30,876 posts, read 36,845,439 times
Since when is San Jose affordable? Less astronomical does not equal affordable.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:02 PM

215 posts, read 259,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Since when is San Jose affordable? Less astronomical does not equal affordable.
I think this should be repeated. We have acquaintances who are buying townhomes at $1M in a hurry because they are afraid it will get out of reach in the South bay and I just think its such a bad idea.

Can't afford in a year or two still means they are paying an astronomical amount now . I really hope the downturn will be mild .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose