Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:07 PM

10 posts, read 60,708 times

Advertisements

New grad, got an offer to start in June and haven't done much research about housing but it seems the average is somewhere around $1500/month.

It's a sales job, so most likely I will need to travel to customers so need to factor in a cheap car ($300/m??) so I'm looking at $1800/month in fixed expenses...

Should I go or find another job? This is the only job offer I got so far and in this type of market, I don't know how long before the next one will come along..

what should I do? Is it possible to live comfortably for a 20-something in SJ on 50k salary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 07:47 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,554,904 times
You can if you do it right. First, check into a roomate. Check Craigslist to find them. It is very common in California to find roomies, due to the cost of living. So take that $1500 apartment and divide that and all the utilities in half.

Find a economical car under $10K. It is possible to find a good used car under $10K in California. I was surprised when I first moved to CA. The quality of cars is good because of the weather, and the strigent smog policies. Basically if you don't have a decent car, it won't pass smog and you cant register it. Therefore, most cars are well kept.

If you don't go out to eat a lot, you will save on food also.

It can be done my friend...

Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 PM

19 posts, read 116,111 times
I'm doing ok with 50K in San Jose... I just rented a room in someone's house for $500... I don't have a lot of freedom, but it's cheap! I found it on Craig's List...
also, fresh produce in oriental supermarkets are cheaper than their American counterparts... you just need to find ways to save money (which I think it's the fun part!)
I think as long as your employer offers health insurance, then you'll be ok with 50K... You may be able to save up to $1000 a month.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 710,662 times
It's doable but you will just be making by. You won't have any money to save and WOW that person that found a room for 500 seems very low, I've only seen that for places in the Eastside with houses that already have 2 or 3 families living in them. So if you want to try and make strides for growth it's only worth it if the career will be a growth and then you can plan to move on from there in a few years to a more affordable area or make lots more money. Good Luck, I can't wait to get out of here fast enough. I've been stuck here for two years making 50 k and have made no gains, still in the exact same spot I was when I started.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:21 PM

30,854 posts, read 36,742,603 times
I'm 38 and live in SJ on 50K a year. I also save about 15K a year in my 401k plan. I drive a 12 year old economy car that I paid cash for. I don't have cable tv (I don't even own a TV). I do have a gym membership. No land line but a cell phone. I don't go out and spend $50 having fun on weekends (only rarely). I do go out to dinner at moderate cost places a few times a week. Over the years, I have traveled to South America 3x and Mexico 1 time, not to mention various trips back East to visit family.

When I moved here in late 1996 I was making 27K a year. I had student loan and credit card debt. Now, 11.5 years later, I have a low 6 figure 401K. So, yes, it's definintely possible. It's really about your priorities.

You don't have to pay $1500 for an apartment. If you really want to have money, get roommates.....that's what a lot of 20 year olds do around here. I had roommates until I was 35. I'm now 38 and have lived in studio apartments the last 3 years. I pay $850 a month for my stuido (you have to look hard for deals, but they are possible--stay away from the mega-apartment complexes--they are usually not good deals).

The hard thing is....a lot of people live beyond their means. Many aren't willing to make sacrifices to get ahead financially. You will have to get used to not doing things the way the crowd does them. That means finding friends who don't have expensive hobbies and know how to have fun on weekends without spending $20-$50 bucks (or more) every time they go out. Sometimes you will feel like the "odd man out". But remember.....the pressure to outspend your income exists no matter how much you make.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:54 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,050,375 times
I made $40,000 last year, and I'm about to buy a house in Oakland. You just have to keep your nose clean, budget yourself, and make sure you have insurance for the emergencies. If I hadn't had renter's insurance last year I would be in the poor house for sure..

Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,389,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I made $40,000 last year, and I'm about to buy a house in Oakland. You just have to keep your nose clean, budget yourself, and make sure you have insurance for the emergencies. If I hadn't had renter's insurance last year I would be in the poor house for sure..
40k in the Bay is amazing; you could write a book!

I know people that make 3x that amount and they struggle to maintain a decent middle class lifestyle.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:39 AM

141 posts, read 644,573 times
Well, you can rent a room in a house for $600-700 a month so its very possible, its what I am going to be doing. To live on your own in San Jose is very expensive assuming you live in a reasonably nice place but if you make some sacrifices to rent in a house it can be done pretty cheaply.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:49 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,681,241 times
You can easily live of $50K in San Jose if you keep your spending in check. If your willing to live a frugal life and sacrifice some luxuries, then it is certainly possible. This is why people opt to move to other cheaper cities because they want their dollar to stretch more. For $50K a year, in some cities you can have your own your own home.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:05 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,728,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I know people that make 3x that amount and they struggle to maintain a decent middle class lifestyle.
Well, then they're living too expensively & beyond their means... I make between $45-55K on average, and usually have money left over each month. It's all about budgeting, being smart, and making compromises!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose