Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 01:48 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times

Advertisements

This is not something I'm ready to do now. But it is something my partner and I have talked about. He is more enthusiastic about it than me. We have a property in Mountain View with a unit in the back which is currently half office / half garage.

The idea would be to convert the garage space into a bedroom or kitchen etc. This would not be a full time place to live, maybe three or four months tops. Just wondering if anyone had done something like this?

Obviously the downside is that we would lose the garage and might have to lower our rent to attract tenants. (We currently have someone in the house and we'll have to negotiate a new rent if she stays.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 04:50 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
This is not something I'm ready to do now. But it is something my partner and I have talked about. He is more enthusiastic about it than me. We have a property in Mountain View with a unit in the back which is currently half office / half garage.

The idea would be to convert the garage space into a bedroom or kitchen etc. This would not be a full time place to live, maybe three or four months tops. Just wondering if anyone had done something like this?

Obviously the downside is that we would lose the garage and might have to lower our rent to attract tenants. (We currently have someone in the house and we'll have to negotiate a new rent if she stays.)
Seems one of the main expenses would be the bathroom. Is there already at least a half bath in the garage? Putting in plumbing would be expensive.

I would think, that a renter might appreciate having a lower rent, unless she really prefers to have a garage. Would the new unit be fore you, for occasional visits into town?

Old 11-04-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Seems one of the main expenses would be the bathroom. Is there already at least a half bath in the garage? Putting in plumbing would be expensive.

I would think, that a renter might appreciate having a lower rent, unless she really prefers to have a garage. Would the new unit be fore you, for occasional visits into town?
There is already a half bath. It's on a slab so doing more plumbing could be expensive. I agree. I think you and I are on the same page. Could we stand living in that small space? Renovated it could be a nice studio. And we'll still have the income from the house.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:03 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
If you need a studio, and you already have a bathroom, then go for a studio. I assume on-street parking isn't an issue in Mountain View; not exactly a high-crime area, or prone to homelessness. If there are car break-ins in the area, though, then you should keep the garage, unless there's room on the property to build a separate one, in the future. Another thing to consider, is whether your nabe is zoned for in-law units or duplexes.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:01 PM

881 posts, read 1,814,818 times
Better start looking at the rules and application process:
https://www.mountainview.gov/depts/c...ons_update.asp

Old 11-05-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Better start looking at the rules and application process:
https://www.mountainview.gov/depts/c...ons_update.asp
Yes. I'm sure any changes will have to be done with a permit.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you need a studio, and you already have a bathroom, then go for a studio. I assume on-street parking isn't an issue in Mountain View; not exactly a high-crime area, or prone to homelessness. If there are car break-ins in the area, though, then you should keep the garage, unless there's room on the property to build a separate one, in the future. Another thing to consider, is whether your nabe is zoned for in-law units or duplexes.
We would certainly consider how this might affect the rent we can get. Knowing how hot the market is, we think we could rent out the house without a garage. We would only use it for a few months maybe in summer.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:37 PM

7,644 posts, read 4,591,848 times
My wife did it with hers. I'd suggest adding a kitchen and full bathroom in and leaving the remaining space as a studio. Obviously window coverings are necessary as well. Take the time to insulate the garage or your meter will spin like a top. If street parking is limited, consider expanding your driveway to accommodate more vehicles. You'll have to make it ADA.

Share laundry between the two with separate locking doors.

You'll need approval from the school as well as the city. Your property taxes will increase. You will limit your capital gains but increase your monthly income from the rents.

To do it right, you're dropping some serious money, so make sure you want to share your home. You won't get that money back for years.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
I have not personally done it, but know someone who did in Davis, CA, when the city started allowing mother-in-law units because of the need for student housing for UCD students.

The biggest problem was insulation, and being on a concrete slab on the ground. It's just really hard to make a garage into a warm/dry cozy space. They just always seem to feel like you're in a garage, as far as being too hot/too cold/too damp.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:30 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,448,290 times
Is this an extra garage in back, or the sole garage on the property?

If you proceed with your plans, will the property (still) have garage space for two cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose